• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-September-04, 03:14

View Post32519, on 2012-September-04, 00:49, said:

It’s uncertain what North will do with his distribution. A fit jump in 3 or a direct jump to 4 are both possible. If a 3 fit jump is converted to 3 by South, West will now get in on the action with 3 to raise the stakes.

North will bid 3H
Alderaan delenda est

#23 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 05:05

View Post32519, on 2012-September-03, 10:49, said:

Almost a year ago now I made enquiries at the South African Bridge Union, as well as the 3 largest bridge clubs within a 100 mile radius from where I live. All 4 categorically insisted that MOSCITO (or any HUM system designed to hamper constructive bidding) was banned outright.

That's interesting, so HUM systems designed to enhance constructive bidding are OK over there?
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#24 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-September-04, 06:09

View Postmrdct, on 2012-September-04, 05:05, said:

That's interesting, so HUM systems designed to enhance constructive bidding are OK over there?

Equally significant, MOSCITO isn't a HUM

The system core is red sticker.
My preferred 2NT opening (A bad three level preempt in either minor) is brown sticker.
Alderaan delenda est

#25 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-September-04, 06:16

The DOOM defence is still under construction.

Let us know if you ever have something more than an acronym and an attitude problem.
Alderaan delenda est

#26 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 06:30

View Post32519, on 2012-September-01, 11:03, said:

This is my last post on DOOM.

I'm going to have to update the "Explanatory Notes" on my convention card yet again after BBOs deal generator came up with this gem.

The DOOM defence is still under construction.

oops

#27 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-04, 08:17

Should I merge the last 2 days of posts into the "Defense to MOSCITO" thread in Non-Natural System Discussion?

#28 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-September-04, 08:40

View Post32519, on 2012-September-02, 13:53, said:

Ben, I think you should move this thread out of Appeals Forum back to the Non-Natural System Forum.

Thank you.

View Postbarmar, on 2012-September-04, 08:17, said:

Should I merge the last 2 days of posts into the "Defense to MOSCITO" thread in Non-Natural System Discussion?

Yes, Ben was already requested to move it.

Thank you.

#29 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 08:49

What would North’s most likely action be if the West and North holdings in the suit were reversed, excluding the 3? In order to keep North’s hand in HCP strength more or less equivalent to what it previously was, The A is removed. So now the hand’s would be something like this. With such a fine distributional hand and an excellent fit with opener, my guess is that North would jump straight to 4 attempting to end the auction. Would that be fair? North now has an additional HCP.

#30 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-September-04, 09:09

View Post32519, on 2012-September-04, 08:49, said:

What would North’s most likely action be if the West and North holdings in the suit were reversed, excluding the 3? In order to keep North’s hand in HCP strength more or less equivalent to what it previously was, The A is removed. So now the hand’s would be something like this. With such a fine distributional hand and an excellent fit with opener, my guess is that North would jump straight to 4 attempting to end the auction. Would that be fair? North now has an additional HCP.

I don't think that the North hand is strong enough to unilaterally commit to game.
As a practical example, South has an above minimum 1 opening and game has zero play.

I think that North needs to make some kind of invitational bid.
I suspect that 2NT should be used to show 4+ card support and invite+ values.
Alderaan delenda est

#31 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 10:47

View Post32519, on 2012-September-04, 08:49, said:

What would North's most likely action be if the West and North holdings in the suit were reversed, excluding the 3? In order to keep North's hand in HCP strength more or less equivalent to what it previously was, The A is removed. So now the hand's would be something like this. With such a fine distributional hand and an excellent fit with opener, my guess is that North would jump straight to 4 attempting to end the auction. Would that be fair? North now has an additional HCP.

Opposite a possible four-card suit, this north hand is worth a raise to just 3. The idea, I believe, is to get in quick and out quick, jam the auction as high as appears safe and then let the opponents guess. In a very basic way of looking at it: we know we have nine trumps, so we bid to the 9 trick level. (I think it is also often safe to bid to the 9 trick level when responder has just four trumps because of two things: 1) opener might have a 5th trump, and 2) the opponents come under great pressure. But, that does not mean it is also OK to automatically bid to the 10 trick level when responder has five trumps.)

#32 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 11:53

OK, so both explanations make sense. From the bidding in either of your two auctions, West knows that East has a singleton or void in the suit. With that knowledge, I don’t believe that it will be possible to prevent West from entering the auction with 3 regardless. Will North be disciplined enough to pass the 3 bid?

#33 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 14:12

View Post32519, on 2012-September-04, 11:53, said:

OK, so both explanations make sense. From the bidding in either of your two auctions, West knows that East has a singleton or void in the suit. With that knowledge, I don't believe that it will be possible to prevent West from entering the auction with 3 regardless. Will North be disciplined enough to pass the 3 bid?

What does it matter? If West enters with 3, surely East will raise to 4. 4 should be down on the obvious trump lead.

Par on the deal is 4HX -1, so if North makes the undisciplined push to 4 and East fails to raise, NS will be fine (by taking the sac against 3) even if doubled (you're not going to claim that East would pass 4, West would double, and East would sit, are you?).

#34 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 00:15

View PostTimG, on 2012-September-04, 14:12, said:

What does it matter? If West enters with 3, surely East will raise to 4. 4 should be down on the obvious trump lead.

Par on the deal is 4HX -1, so if North makes the undisciplined push to 4 and East fails to raise, NS will be fine (by taking the sac against 3) even if doubled (you're not going to claim that East would pass 4, West would double, and East would sit, are you?).

In bridge you will forever be facing marginal decisions; some will go in your favour while others not. This hand is a case in point. Seeing all four hands makes the decision easier. Swop the Q and J around and 4 will make regardless of a trump lead. Even without switching the Q and J around, a misdefence from N/S will see 4 home. In drawn out tournaments when fatigue sets in, the error rate starts increasing.

So how will North’s decision be influenced by –
1. N/S red / E/W white?
2. All red?

#35 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-September-05, 03:45

View Post32519, on 2012-September-02, 05:12, said:

Thanks a ton for this Frances!

The second suit may indeed be the opener's anchor suit. This will be adequately disclosed in the CC. The defence I am currently working on is aimed at really turning up the heat on the MOSCITO players. If I can sucker them into bidding on level 3 or higher when I have opener's anchor suit well covered, I can extract a very favourable penalty double for my side.

The hand posted in the other thread is repeated here with a slight modification to the E/W hands, changing the West 4072 distribution into a 4252 distribution. The N/S hands are left unchanged.

Whenever North has an unsuitable hand to make any response to partner's opening bid, would be an indication that the HCP favour our side. So now our side can start looking for our best spot. Conversely, when North does have a fit with opener (as here) and makes a fit showing jump in 3 which opener converts to 4 on a double fit, I have succeeded in my goal of suckering them into an unmakeable contract. I can now extract a favourable penalty double from the opponents.

These sorts of hands have opened a whole new scope for the defence. I will now dump my 2 and 2 bids from the original defence and move them into my 2 bid. Now I can keep North guessing as to what I really have!

Numeric one, I apologise. This has been the greatest con since BBO forums started. You got nearly everyone believing you. You dropped the ball with the bidding on this hand though as only a knuckalevy would bid like this.
By the way, for fun swop the Nth and Sth spade holdings.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#36 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-September-05, 04:39

View Postthe hog, on 2012-September-05, 03:45, said:

Numeric one, I apologise. This has been the greatest con since BBO forums started. You got nearly everyone believing you. You dropped the ball with the bidding on this hand though as only a knuckalevy would bid like this.
By the way, for fun swop the Nth and Sth spade holdings.

Hi Ron

For the record, I posted the 3 fit jump and the 4 rebid as plausible.

I consider each to be the more aggressive action.

Bidding 3 rather than 3 is definitely reasonable, as is passing 4, however, I don't think this auction is impossible.

(I admit to having no idea whether East's repeated passes are reasonable)
Alderaan delenda est

#37 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-September-05, 07:50

only a knuckalevy

Neat, I'd never heard of this before. The Nuckelavee of Orcadian legend makes for some interesting reading: a skinless Horse-plus-human-torso [two heads, one horse one human-like, not a centaur] from the sea, enraged by kelp burning (to make soda ash!) who blights crops and is kept in check only by the Mither o' the Sea and by his fear of fresh running water. Thanks for mentioning it!

#38 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 09:32

Numeric one, I apologise. This has been the greatest con since BBO forums started. You got nearly everyone believing you. You dropped the ball with the bidding on this hand though as only a knuckalevy would bid like this. By the way, for fun swop the Nth and Sth spade holdings.

View Postsemeai, on 2012-September-05, 07:50, said:

Neat, I'd never heard of this before. The Nuckelavee of Orcadian legend makes for some interesting reading: a skinless Horse-plus-human-torso [two heads, one horse one human-like, not a centaur] from the sea, enraged by kelp burning (to make soda ash!) who blights crops and is kept in check only by the Mither o' the Sea and by his fear of fresh running water. Thanks for mentioning it!

My friend, this article of yours on The Nuckelavee describes my DOOM defence perfectly. I think I will as of now start calling it the Nuckelavee Defence to MOSCITO. It matters not how hard you try to stop me from publishing this defence, you can accept the fact that it’s going to happen. The fear that the Nuckelavee has placed in all the MOSCITO players is only too evident from the concerted efforts from all of you to get me to abandon the project altogether.

Richard never took up my challenge for a defence to MOSCITO from the player sitting in the 4th seat. Fear not I will do it anyway.

Some extracts from your article:
The Nuckelavee Defence’s sole purpose was is to plague the islanders MOSCITO players.
…they were sure that the Nuckelavee would have driven mankind the MOSCITO players from the Northern Isles bridge playing world long ago…
…that rider and horse both opponents become one - a vile hybrid of man and beast defense from either side of the table, that, they swore, was Nuckelavee's true shape.

As for swopping the N/S holdings, err, now South no longer has an opening hand.

#39 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-September-05, 10:24

View Post32519, on 2012-September-05, 09:32, said:

My friend, this article of yours on The Nuckelavee describes my DOOM defence perfectly. I think I will as of now start calling it the Nuckelavee Defence to MOSCITO. It matters not how hard you try to stop me from publishing this defence, you can accept the fact that it’s going to happen. The fear that the Nuckelavee has placed in all the MOSCITO players is only too evident from the concerted efforts from all of you to get me to abandon the project altogether.

In way way have you developed anything?

Over the course of the last week, you've scraped every single piece of your original DOOM defense.

You've redefined your double, the first step response, your 1NT overcall, your 2m overcalls, your cue bid, your 2NT overcall.

The only thing that you seemed to retain was your acronym.
And now even this has bitten the dust.

For the life of me, I have no idea what your defense consists of any more, other than you're currently recommending that the bid (1) - 2 should show hearts and 3-11 HCP and you like to overcall 2 alot.

However, if you're happy with your methods please use them.
Hell, please spread them.

As a MOSCITO player, nothing would make me happier than seeing your methods in widespread use...
Alderaan delenda est

#40 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 11:39

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-September-05, 10:24, said:

As a MOSCITO player, nothing would make me happier than seeing your methods in widespread use...

If only because that would mean MOSCITO is in widespread use, right?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users