BBO Discussion Forums: Opener's "free" bid after an overcall - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opener's "free" bid after an overcall

#1 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-03, 07:50

I watched friends playing this hand, and it turned to be very controversial, everyone had different opinion. They were playing SAYC.

How should opener re-evaluate his hand with void in pard's suit and HCP in enemy's suit, lack of aces and entries in own hand?
Would opener's rebid here show some extras and deny holding minimum?

At the table opener decided to bid 2C. His partner holding AT9 xx K7xxx Axx, assuming p was showing 15+ with his free rebid, asked for heart stopper and it went as shown. Was he wrong to count own hand as GF?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-03, 08:07

If North doesn't have a way t show an invitational hand with club fit (3 would be competitive) then I think 3 (edit: I wrote 3 by mistake) is fine.

The 2 bid is certainly fine, it doesn't show extras.

3NT looks like a good contract to me. Maybe it was just an unlucky split that made it go down.

This post has been edited by helene_t: 2012-September-04, 02:37

The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-03, 10:17

What Helene said. Also, North might be confusing this auction with one where opener had to rebid at the 3-level, not the 2-level ---and where some people employ good/bad to clarify whether the club rebid was strong or merely competitive.

Here, the opponents have not prevented opener from his normal rebid, so he made his normal rebid.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-September-03, 23:01

I have some simple logic to show why 2 (or 1, if he had spades and clubs) does not show any extra values.
Opener can pass if he doesn't mind 1 getting passed out. This would only be when holding a minimum weak notrump (like 11-12).
If, however, he holds a suit that has not been fully expressed (the partnership may have a fit and does not know it yet) and thus does not wish the overcall to get passed out, and that suit does not need to be bid any higher than it would be without the interference, he should be allowed to bid it with no extra values.
I Transfers

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users