• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trivial, but good grief Not really political

#61 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-05, 11:37

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-September-05, 11:03, said:

Sadly only Harvard students are smart enough to figure out that this is really what their examiners are saying...

barmar is, I believe, a graduate of an institute of higher learning just down the Charles from Harvard.

#62 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-September-05, 11:54

View PostTimG, on 2012-September-05, 11:37, said:

barmar is, I believe, a graduate of an institute of higher learning just down the Charles from Harvard.

However, a google search for "[that institution] cheating scandal" turns up no real results.

#63 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-September-05, 11:56

Everything is different (other than indistinguishable quantum particles and so on), so everything is unique. If you establish a finite set of attributes based on which you classify stuff, no two of them will have the same attributes (provided that you chose enough relevant attributes). They will all be unique, but some more unique than others (some will differ from the rest in more attributes or to a larger extent than the rest). ;)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#64 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 15:30

"almost" unique?

Yeah, I agree with you too. But as in bridge, "never"'s never never.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#65 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-05, 15:48

View PostTimG, on 2012-September-05, 07:53, said:

Before long, "alot" will be a word and "could of" will be an acceptable variation of "could have".

And "If I would have [eg known]" will become an acceptable variation of "If I had". This one is one of the worst, in my opinion. But if I could eliminate just one emerging usage, I think it would be "begging the question" to mean raising or leading to the question.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#66 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-05, 15:56

View Postkenberg, on 2012-September-05, 09:23, said:

"My name is Sue, how do you do?"

Since "How are you?" is not a question that is intended to elicit a detailed, or accurate, or even thoughtful response, I suppose the grammatical details are pretty much irrelevant.

I feel that while "how do you do" is not ever answered and in fact barely considered a question, "how are you" does get some response. When I first came to live in England, I was stymied by the greeting "All right?" I had no idea whether I was supposed to answer, respond in kind, respond with "hello" etc.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#67 User is offline   squealydan 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:most sport
    being in the great outdoors
    the daily show / colbert

Posted 2012-September-06, 06:07

View PostVampyr, on 2012-September-05, 15:48, said:

And "If I would have [eg known]" will become an acceptable variation of "If I had". This one is one of the worst, in my opinion.

This seems pretty much accepted usage in North America from what I can see on television, and is spreading fast to my neck of the woods.

It's not only an ugly sounding way of talking with the repeated "would have"s, it adds a lot of unnecessary syllables : "if I'd taken the finesse, I'd have made my contract" vs "if I would have taken the finesse, I would have made my contract".

Worse, of course, is the fact that many times I have to hear "would of" twice in quick succession.

#68 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-September-06, 06:57

View PostVampyr, on 2012-September-05, 15:48, said:

And "If I would have [eg known]" will become an acceptable variation of "If I had". This one is one of the worst, in my opinion.

This form is used by the the majority of foreigners I would say. It always irritates me but I admit to doing it sometimes too (and then I become doubly irritated).
      George Carlin

#69 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-06, 08:23

The one that gets me is a written transgression: "prolly" for "probably".

#70 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-06, 08:27

View Postgwnn, on 2012-September-06, 06:57, said:

This form is used by the the majority of foreigners I would say. It always irritates me but I admit to doing it sometimes too (and then I become doubly irritated).

I have heard this from a lot of native speakers too, I am afraid. Sometimes it is my partner, and I say something like "sorry, I didn't understand that, could you repeat it in English", and then he does, but I find it unfortunate that I can't use this technique on everyone.

#71 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-September-06, 08:59

I wish people would lighten up. There's an enormous difference between spoken language and written language. Unless you're reading a prepared speech, spoken language is very informal, produced on the fly without much time to review the precise words. Whether "and" should be followed by "me" or "I" in a particular context is a relatively complex rule -- if you're speaking quickly it's easy to slip up, and some people just have a simple default for everything.

In addition, most of these "rules" are pretty arbitrary. The rule about not splitting infinitives is one of the most notorious. It supposedly comes from the Latin origin of English, in which infinitives were single words, and hence unsplittable. Some grammar nazis decided that even though English doesn't share this form of the infinitive, the sentence structure it implies should still be enforced. Never mind that practically everyone finds "to boldly go" more mellifluous than "to go boldly" or "boldly to go". That's because it's consistent with another rule: adjectives and adverbs normally immediately precede the word they're modifying, so putting it after or inserting "to" between them makes it more awkward sounding.

I'm about 2/3 through a very good book: "Thinking Fast and Slow". It's mostly about how we make decisions, but the psychological and neurological underpinnings also explain why on-the-fly utterances are not likely to obey strict rules and why it generally doesn't cause communication problems.

#72 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-September-06, 08:59

I've been wondering about these constructions BTW. Suppose someone asks you:

"If you found a wallet on the street, would you return it?"
The simple way of answering this is:
"Yes, I would return it." or "No, I wouldn't return it."
But what if you want to be cute and say:
"I would be proud of myself if I would return it* but honestly I would just take the money and wouldn't bother helping society."

*=with the sense of "I would be proud of myself (now) if I was a person who would return it," and not "I would feel proud of myself in the hypothetical situation that I found the wallet and returned it."

Does this make any sense? :)
      George Carlin

#73 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-September-06, 09:05

Also, is it too obvious to name lose/loose? It's an epidemic.
      George Carlin

#74 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-06, 09:09

View Postgwnn, on 2012-September-06, 09:05, said:

Often paired with led/lead.

#75 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-September-06, 09:12

The real epidemic is "it's" meaning "its". However, it's also understandable -- it's an overuse of the default rule "to make a possessive, add 's to the word" -- the exception for pronouns doesn't come to mind easily, because several of them are irregular (e.g. "his", "my", and "their"). Irregular forms are learned early in life by rote, but because "its" sounds like a regular form, it's easy to fall into the default rule rather than realize that all pronouns are exceptions (for no good reason, of course -- it's another arbitrary rule).

#76 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-September-06, 09:18

View Postgwnn, on 2012-September-06, 08:59, said:

I've been wondering about these constructions BTW. Suppose someone asks you:

"If you found a wallet on the street, would you return it?"
The simple way of answering this is:
"Yes, I would return it." or "No, I wouldn't return it."
But what if you want to be cute and say:
"I would be proud of myself if I would return it* but honestly I would just take the money and wouldn't bother helping society."

*=with the sense of "I would be proud of myself (now) if I was a person who would return it," and not "I would feel proud of myself in the hypothetical situation that I found the wallet and returned it."

Does this make any sense? :)

It doesn't sound so nice, but I suppose it's okay. I suppose here "it" is supposed to stand for for "a wallet, if I found it on the street," as in "I would be proud of myself if I would return a wallet if I found it on the street."

Both "if I were the sort of person who would return it" and "if I returned it" (this last one with not exactly the same meaning) seem cleaner. (Note the subjunctive case of the verb to be while we're at it. :P)

#77 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-06, 09:27

View Postbarmar, on 2012-September-06, 08:59, said:

Whether "and" should be followed by "me" or "I" in a particular context is a relatively complex rule -- if you're speaking quickly it's easy to slip up, and some people just have a simple default for everything.

It's actually very easy if you have developed good habits. The problem really might be that English has an almost complete lack of cases, so rules like the correct use of pronouns are a bit of an anomaly; in eg Russian or Latin, all adjectives and nouns change case too, so correct usage becomes internalised more readily.

Never mind that practically everyone finds "to boldly go" more mellifluous than "to go boldly" or "boldly to go". That's because it's consistent with another rule: adjectives and adverbs normally immediately precede the word they're modifying, so putting it after or inserting "to" between them makes it more awkward sounding.

The meaning often changes when an adverb is removed from or inserted into an infinitive and in fact can make a sentence ambiguous; This link has an example.

#78 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-06, 09:46

View Postbarmar, on 2012-September-06, 09:12, said:

The real epidemic is "it's" meaning "its". However, it's also understandable -- it's an overuse of the default rule "to make a possessive, add 's to the word" -- the exception for pronouns doesn't come to mind easily, because several of them are irregular (e.g. "his", "my", and "their"). Irregular forms are learned early in life by rote, but because "its" sounds like a regular form, it's easy to fall into the default rule rather than realize that all pronouns are exceptions (for no good reason, of course -- it's another arbitrary rule).

Not that arbitrary. If "it's" is both the contracted form of "it is" and the possessive form, the only way to tell the difference is from context. Granted one can usually do that, the rule obviates the need. Aside from that, for those of us who learned the proper way B-) seeing "it's" when the possessive is meant is really annoying.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#79 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-06, 10:04

View Postgwnn, on 2012-September-06, 09:05, said:

View PostVampyr, on 2012-September-06, 09:09, said:

Often paired with led/lead.

Or in the case of my other hobby (wargaming), paired with moral/morale.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#80 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-06, 10:06

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-September-06, 09:46, said:

Aside from that, for those of us who learned the proper way B-) seeing "it's" when the possessive is meant is really annoying.

I agree that it is really annoying. "Your" and "you're" is going the same way.

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users