• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trivial, but good grief Not really political

#161 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-04, 10:01

View Postkenberg, on 2012-November-04, 08:31, said:

As a child, I thought that "literally" meant "figuratively" or at least something other than "literally". I don't believe either of my parents ever used the word, and whenever I saw it in print it was usually impossible that what was described as being literally true could in fact be literally true. So I figured it meant "in a manner of speaking" or some such. I was a rather literal minded child, even if I did not know what that meant.

You are right that "literally" is very often misused. I realise that English is a living language, and that new meanings are taken on simply by usage. The problem is that if "literally" means "figuratively", there is no word that can be used when you really want to describe something literal.

For example, we sometimes talk about falling asleep at the bridge table. Recently I was at a club weekend and was suffering a cold and was very fatigued. On the Saturday night I literally fell asleep at the table. This is difficult to recount if "literally" is not taken, er, literally.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#162 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2012-November-04, 10:35

This usage of "literally" is, I think, similar to the usage of "exponentially" to mean "rapidly". Gas prices are going up exponentially. My headache is increasing exponentially. The occurrence of exponentially is increasing exponentially. There was a recent newscast where something was described as increasing logarithmically. I have no idea what that was intended to convey. Very lowly, maybe.

Perhaps "literally" is worse, since it often appears to mean "not literally".
Ken

#163 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-04, 10:56

Thought you might enjoy this

http://marginalrevol...ally-up-to.html

Also, literally's usage is confusing, as it also means "literally" in the sense of being directly from literature. That is you can use it to signify that you are quoting from a piece of literature. I think this is probably how its usage got started. "Its literally a modest proposal" to indicate something is ridiculous is ok I think. Here it is intended to mean that you should take the meaning "a modest proposal" from the Swift satire about cannibalising infants, not the usual meaning. You are doing a "literal translation" if you like.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#164 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-04, 11:06

I find "like" is worse: I often cannot tell whether the speaker means something is like something else, or is saying that it is that other thing.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#165 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-November-05, 06:50

Try using "generally" for "literally" if you want to avoid confusion from those that misuse the latter word. "On Saturday night I genuinely fell asleep at the table." Or, if you are under 16, just add "For real" to the end (or whichever cool expression is currently passing for that): "On Saturday night I fell asleep at the table. For real."
(-: Zel :-)

#166 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-05, 08:19

View Postgordontd, on 2012-November-04, 11:06, said:

I find "like" is worse: I often cannot tell whether the speaker means something is like something else, or is saying that it is that other thing.

Often this is paired, you know, like, with "you know", and, like, you don't know.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#167 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 09:06

View Postkenberg, on 2012-November-04, 10:35, said:

Perhaps "literally" is worse, since it often appears to mean "not literally".

Ken, am I right in recalling you are a mathematician? It was through a maths lecturer that I was introduced to the concept of a "formal" proof, which I naively took to be a rigorous one. Apparently, it actually meant that he was just giving the "form" of the proof without the details, which is almost the opposite of what I thought it meant....

#168 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-November-05, 09:13

I thought a formal proof was one that stemmed directly from axioms through a series of equivalent statements. Have never heard of this meaning before.

#169 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-November-05, 09:34

I thought that a formal proof was one drafted while wearing a black bow tie and tails.

#170 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-November-05, 10:02

View PostArtK78, on 2012-November-05, 09:34, said:

I thought that a formal proof was one drafted while wearing a black bow tie and tails.

You are getting confused with a formal Prof!

#171 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-05, 13:10

View PostArtK78, on 2012-November-05, 09:34, said:

A white bow tie is much more normal with a tailcoat.

#172 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-November-05, 13:55

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-05, 13:10, said:

A white bow tie is much more normal with a tailcoat.

Yes, I think I got that one wrong. Thanks.

#173 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2012-November-05, 18:44

View PostWellSpyder, on 2012-November-05, 09:06, said:

Ken, am I right in recalling you are a mathematician? It was through a maths lecturer that I was introduced to the concept of a "formal" proof, which I naively took to be a rigorous one. Apparently, it actually meant that he was just giving the "form" of the proof without the details, which is almost the opposite of what I thought it meant....

Yes I am a mathematician and I have never heard this approach referred to as a formal proof. At it's most extreme, I think of a formal proof as one that can be checked, or perhaps even done, by a computer. More often, it means a proof with little or no appeal to the type of argument where one says "Oh yeah, I don't doubt you can do it even if you have not written it all down". Formal proofs have detail. With a formal proof, one sometimes hears a person say "Line by line I see that it is true, but I don't understand it" meaning that it's hard to place it in a context.

I often think of Steve Smale as the master of the informal proof. He will talk about the ideas for a while, and then ask "Anyone see anything wrong with this?". If no one does, he moves on to the next result. You can cover a lot of ground that way,. With Smale it works very well. With some others, maybe less well.
Ken

#174 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-November-13, 06:48

Ellie Goulding is really not political but what do you think of "Why don't you be the artist and make me out of clay?" It sounds correct to me but logically it feels strange (even though I can't "correct" it without major revisions).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#175 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-13, 07:54

View Postgwnn, on 2012-November-13, 06:48, said:

Ellie Goulding is really not political but what do you think of "Why don't you be the artist and make me out of clay?" It sounds correct to me but logically it feels strange (even though I can't "correct" it without major revisions).

Of course it doesn't actually mean anything -- grammar isn't everything!

#176 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-November-13, 08:19

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-13, 07:54, said:

Of course it doesn't actually mean anything -- grammar isn't everything!

Thank God for that. :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#177 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-December-10, 13:05

Headline from the local paper about a fire:

"The whole back of the house was inflamed"

Antibiotics didn't help.
:)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#178 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-December-11, 04:54

See meaning #9 and the last line of the etymology. Not that I would have written that. Most likely it started as "engulfed in flame" or similarly overblown newspaper language but had to be edited down hurriedly due to space requirements.

#179 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2012-December-11, 07:09

Newspaper articles are still edited? The evidence seems to indicate that they are not.
Ken

#180 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-11, 09:30

I've just been reading a new (to me) set of rules for a role-playing game (Legend of the Five Rings). Nicely bound book, very pretty illustrations, well laid out. But edited? At first I thought they were trying to emulate a Japanese native trying to write in English, but I've become convinced it was just poorly edited, if it was edited at all. Still, looks like it might be interesting, if you're into that kind of thing. There's a collectible card game, too.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users