• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bits & Pieces

#1 User is offline   Rado 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-June-13, 09:59

Hi all friends,

Yesterday I played live MP tourney at our local club and after that I entered BBO and had a chance to play in test match. Here are some interesting hands/problems:

1. MP green (green stands for we non, opps vulnerable)

(1Di)-P-(1He)-1Sp
(1Nt)-2Sp-(Dbl)-Passed

K8xx
Qxxx
xxx
Jx

J10xxx
AK
xx
Q109x

lead 10 of He RHO signaled even number (4)
You win AK He and play small Sp to Dummy
Now LHO (the 1NT bidder) has a problem Holding AQ9 in P
if he plays 9 to protect his 2 trump tricks then on QHe flyes a looser, if he takes Asp and cashes all their side winners, his QSp will be finesed later for 8 trick.
+470 not so bad at MP LOL

Does anybody know how this "coup" is named?
Maybe "Morton's trump coup" ?

2. MP red (we vuln, opps non)
Holding :
AKxxx Kx AKx Q109 hear the following bids
RHO opened 1Di precision (1+carsd in Di 11-16 p)
you DBL ? Any other opinions? LHO bids 1He= 4+cards F1

(1Di)-DBL-(1He) -P
(3He) -?
3He alerted and explained as not so much points but good distribution ( for those unfamiliar with short 1Di Precicion the hand may contain both 5+Di1Cl and 5Cl1Di or 4441 or 4414 as distributions)

Now what is our bid?

3. MP love all
KQJxx
K10xx
K9x
x

1SP:2Di (2/1 FG unless suit rebid)
2He:2NT (FG expecting further description)
3Di:3NT
?
any opinions for Partner's hand and whether and what to bid?

4. Team match IMPs, love all

(P) - 1Cl - (p) - 1Sp
(2Di)-3Di-(Dbl)-3Sp
(P) - 4Sp-passed

Lead ADi, RHO gives 2 of Di
10 of Cl shift by LHO for 2nd trick, what now?

QJxx
AQJ10
x
AJxx

A10xx
xx
xxx
Q9xx

5. teams match IMPS game all
QJxxx
AKQxx
10x
Q

A10x
xxx
AKQJxx
x

open 1Di opps are silent, Pls propose reasonable sequence to bid 6Di

6. Teams match IMPS green
KQJ
xxx
KQ10xx
K10

playing 2/1 Partner opened
1He :2Di
2He: ? what and why

Hope you will find the above enough intersting,

awaiting your comments
regards, Rado

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-June-13, 12:18

(1Di)-P-(1He)-1Sp
(1Nt)-2Sp-(Dbl)-Passed

K8xx
Qxxx
xxx
Jx

J10xxx
AK
xx
Q109x

lead 10 of He RHO signaled even number (4)
You win AK He and play small Sp to Dummy
Now LHO (the 1NT bidder) has a problem Holding AQ9 in P
if he plays 9 to protect his 2 trump tricks then on QHe flyes a looser, if he takes Asp and cashes all their side winners, his QSp will be finesed later for 8 trick.
+470 not so bad at MP LOL

1) Does anybody know how this "coup" is named?

Very nice. I think it is called Morton's fork coup. The description of this play, from Bridge World is:
the forcing of an opponent to choose between establishing one or more extra tricks in the suit led and losing the opportunity to win a trick in the suit led. (quoted from "Bridge World" website).

Holding :
you DBL ? Any other opinions?

Yes, I would overcall 1S, not double. I follow Robson/Segal on these double/overcall hands, and my double of minors are always shape specific (or really strong NT hands).

(1Di)-DBL-(1He) -P
(3He) -? Now what is our bid?

Push the undo button to take back your double and bid 1S. Lacking that, I double again (if I bid 1S first time, double here still takout, but partner knows about the fifth spade).

3. MP love all
KQJxx
K10xx
K9x
x

?

Partner could have bid 3NT immediately. He probed, you showed 5-4-3-1 on the bidding. Maybe 5D or 4S is a better matchpoint spot, but he knows you are short in Clubs. I pass and play in notrump... he must know what he is doing.

(P) - 1Cl - (p) - 1Sp
(2Di)-3Di-(Dbl)-3Sp
(P) - 4Sp-passed

QJxx
AQJ10
x
AJxx

A10xx
xx
xxx
Q9xx

First, my partner did enough bidding for both of us.... so we had better make this one. Over 3D, 3S rebid by responder has to be this hand... dead minimum. With any thing extra, responder could issue a mild game try of 3H (even on two small). But it is true that north has a very good hand, and at imps, you push for close games.

You have lost 1D and must lose 1C. So you are going to make between 8 and 11 tricks. 8 if they get a club ruff and you lose both finesses, and 11 if both hooks win, as you lose 1C and 1D. The question becomes do you forgo the spade hook and take the ACE and play another spade?

The problem is some one is now down to at most 1 club, and they have the master club, so a potential club ruff is looming. If I had to guess, I would guess it was WEST with 2 clubs. They have 9 Diamonds between them. West has at least 5, and at this vul, more likely 6 diamonds. The lack of a double of 3D suggest that most of the diamond honors are with the overcaller unless they are playing that convention where you double when you DON"T want the suit to be lead. Since no alert, we assume pass is normal.

If West was 4-5 or 4-6 in the red suits, he may have doubled 1S or bid a sandwich notrump, so we think West has at most 3H's. So West hand is probalby 2-3-6-2 or 3-2-6-2 although this is not for sure, the fact he has "short" hearts is a fairly good bet.

I would play spade to ace, then hook a heart. The though being if the heart hook loses, the spade hook was probably wrong for sure. Perhaps if they ruff the club it will then be with the SPADE KING. If the heart hook wins, I will play another spade. (I plan now to throw at least one D on a heart), so I can stand three rounds of trumps.

I have no high degree of faith in my line, but I am ready to win the post-mortem by explaining how totally clever my 3S bid was ... I was shouting weakness, why oh why did partner raise me with "only" 16. :)

QJxxx
AKQxx
10x
Q

A10x
xxx
AKQJxx
x

After a 1H response, I think I would rebid only 2D, then when partner makes a reverse to 2S, I would get very excited. I think here I would like the jump to 4D in game force to show really good suit. The bidding could get a little murky at however....

1D - 1H
2D - 2S
4D - 4N
4S - 6D <<-- if responder take 4S as to play,
should not however, since opener
didn't bid 1S over 1H or 3S over
2S in GF auction
After the 4D bid and 4S cue bid, no need for blackwood since he only bid 2D at first chance. Partner has great Diamonds, a spade honor.

Of course if Responder bids 3D over 1H, the slam is even easier to bid I think. The key is opener has to show solid diamonds and the spade control if you want to get there.

KQJ
xxx
KQ10xx
K10

Playing two over 1, this 2H rebid can be very wide ranging. Partner may have a minimum opening bid with 5 hearts or a monster and is just temporizing (he pays to know who partner is). Since it is Team game, I am not really thinking all that much about trying to get into notrump by bidding 2S... this hand just isn't strong enough for a reverse I like my playing stregth, but partner needs a lot for slam. A heart suit that will play for no more than one loser (something like AQJxx needing a hook and 3-2 split), and two of the three other aces. If partner has ALL OF THAT... then he will bid on.

I would like to jump to 4H's here to anounce a minimum 2/1 with heart support. The problem is, I use 4H here not as PFA stating that "I have a minimum partner," but rather a picture bid... I have good diamonds and good hearts, with no controls in the other suits.... ARGH just not the message I want to send with this hand.

So the choices are a tame 2NT, followed by some sort of heart raise, or a tame 3D (still forcing) followed by a heart raise. The only difference between these two bids is that if I bid 3D, I will bid 4H net time regardless of partners bid.

Almost the same situation occurs if I bid 2NT. That is if over my 2NT, partner bids 3D/3H/3S or 3NT, I will correct to 4H's. However, if partner bids 3C over 2NT, I will change my mind about playing in hearts and see if I can play in 3NT. My spades and diamonds are very good, and the Club Ten is likley to be valuable.

So, I bid 2NT and rebid 4H on almost all hands, unless partner rebids 3C, in which case I rebid 3NT.

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2003-June-13, 15:03

Hi Rado,

Does anybody know how this "coup" is named?
Maybe "Morton's trump coup" ?

No idea

Holding :
you DBL ? Any other opinions? LHO bids 1He= 4+cards F1

(1Di)-DBL-(1He) -P
(3He) -?
3He alerted and explained as not so much points but good distribution ( for those unfamiliar with short 1Di Precicion the hand may contain both 5+Di1Cl and 5Cl1Di or 4441 or 4414 as distributions
)

Now what is our bid?

Close but 3 Spade. X was clear because else my pd will play me for 18 HCps at most. This way I show my big hand.

3. MP love all
KQJxx
K10xx
K9x
x

?

I play him for 2353 or 2254 maybe even 1255..
At MPs I won?t go to 5 Diamond and oplay 3 NT with the filed. With a slam avaiable, he should have act different after 3 Diamond. I showed my hand perfect with 5431 or 5440 and minimum. He knew and decided.

(P) - 1Cl - (p) - 1Sp
(2Di)-3Di-(Dbl)-3Sp
(P) - 4Sp-passed

Change pd, because I want to play 3 Spade. Stopping this emotion and start to think.

If this was a singelton, I can still survive if both majors hooks are working.
If it was a doubelton, I better duck and hope that one hook in the majors is on.

I play for the second possibility.
QJxx
AQJ10
x
AJxx

A10xx
xx
xxx
Q9xx

QJxxx
1 D - 1H
AKQxx 2 D 2 S nat and forcing
10x 3 H 4 C
Q 4 NT 5 S
6 D
A10x
xxx
AKQJxx
x

open 1Di opps are silent, Pls propose reasonable sequence to bid 6Di

KQJ
xxx
KQ10xx
K10

Close between 3 NT and 4 H. I guess I choose 3 NT.

Hope you will find the above enough intersting,

Was great fun, ty

Kind Regards

Roland
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#4 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2003-June-14, 07:05

1. No
2. 1SP. Choice depend style you play. Here we can have game based on fit in SP even with 0 hcp in my p or 3NT without fit in SP but with hcp in my p. In both cases he will respond. If he pass and opp bid to 3HE i will DBL giving my p option to play this contract with DBL. If i dbl first my second dbl will be take out and my p will lose option to pass.
3. Pass, what else.
4. Duck. One more reason on MP +1 is important ;D
A10x QJxxx
xxx AKQxx
AKQJxx 10x
x Q

1DI:10-17,2+ 2CL:12+,R
3SP: 14-17,1-CL,6+DI,4H 4NT: RKCB
5CL: 0/3KC no void CL 6DI

Note: system NTC v 2.50

6. 4HE: $. Not a perfect world :'(

Misho