• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Final Pass ACBL

#1 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-03, 10:07

I would appreciate references to any current position (minutes, etc.) which have determined what constitutes a "final pass", ending an auction ---other than the obvious placing of a green card on the table.

Tapping previous pass card?
picking up one's bidding cards to put them away?
etc.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-03, 14:50

This is a matter for the RA. Are you asking for the ACBL position?

Anyway, IMO, the only legitimate final pass, using bidding boxes, is one where the pass card is placed on the table. I do not know if the ACBL agrees with me. I'm pretty sure at least some of the club directors around here don't.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-03, 15:08

FWIW, the EBU Orange Book includes the following regulation.

OB 7B11 said:

Some players do not always complete the auction properly by laying a pass card on the table in the pass out seat. Usually this does not cause a problem. When a player acts in such a way as to indicate they have passed and an opening lead is faced they have passed. An action may be deemed by the TD to be a pass in the pass out seat (eg General 'waft' of the hand, tapping cards already there, picking up the cards).

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-03, 15:13

I complied with requests from "Black" and "Blue" on previous threads, and put "ACBL" in the subtitle box. Am interested in, as stated, if there is other verbage than the wording of the regs themselves....such as director guidelines and newletters, minutes, rulings which have the clout to become precedent.

Focusing, on the final pass, only. Player, for instance, starts putting his bids away not noticing there was a bid and two passes to him, rather than 3 passes to his bid.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-September-03, 16:34

None such afaik.

In your "for example" if a player told me he thought there had been three passes, but there were not, he's still got a call coming.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-03, 16:49

What if he completed putting his cards away, made the face-down lead, then realized there were only two passes? Would you let him take back his lead and make a call?

#7 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-03, 20:22

View Postbarmar, on 2012-September-03, 16:49, said:

What if he completed putting his cards away, made the face-down lead, then realized there were only two passes? Would you let him take back his lead and make a call?

I would not, I'd rule final pass and the card on the table is the lead.

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-03, 20:26

The source of this is not quite clear to me; maybe someone else will understand the notation:
http://jsteelquist.c...kup/TECH/BIDBOX

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-03, 20:43

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-September-03, 20:26, said:

The source of this is not quite clear to me; maybe someone else will understand the notation:

Yes, it is quite clearly on target with my question. It differentiates between INTENT to pass and merely thinking the auction is already over. I wish I knew which Chief Director of what (in 2008) produced the treatise and in what context.

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-03, 21:14

It doesn't quote ACBL documentation, but see item #8 in the list of "speed up your club games" tips... http://home.comcast....chive/jun03.pdf

#11 User is offline   kevperk 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-04, 01:30

This is located in the scoring program used by ACBL - ACBLScor. I believe the Chief Tournament Director in 2008 was Rick Beye. As a tournament director in the ACBL, I have been aware of this regulation.

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-September-04, 01:55

View Postkevperk, on 2012-September-04, 01:30, said:

This is located in the scoring program used by ACBL - ACBLScor. I believe the Chief Tournament Director in 2008 was Rick Beye. As a tournament director in the ACBL, I have been aware of this regulation.

Is it a regulation?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-September-04, 06:23

That appears to be an extract from the techfiles, the latest version of which is only available within ACBLScore. The number ("bidbox.081") is higher than that on the version available at bridgehands ("bidbox.033") which leads me to believe it may be newer. Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to check the latest ACBLScore version. Note the bridgehands version does not discuss the question at hand. However, the steelquist version does discuss it, and implies that my answer to Barry's question should be "yes, I would let him take back his face down opening lead".
--------------------

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-September-04, 06:26

View Postgnasher, on 2012-September-04, 01:55, said:

Is it a regulation?

In part. The TechFiles contain not just regulations (for the latest version of which I think one should look on the ACBL Website) but also interpretations, which is what that "CTD" thing is. And I'm pretty sure Rick Beye was ACBL CTD in 2008. I note that the position no longer exists. I have no idea why the ACBL abolished it. Cost cutting, perhaps?
--------------------

#15 User is offline   LH2650 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 07:16

View Postgnasher, on 2012-September-04, 01:55, said:

Is it a regulation?

Changes to the Tech Files in ACBLscore are approved by the ACBL Laws Commission, so I think that they can be considered regulations.

#16 User is offline   kevperk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-04, 11:27

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-September-04, 06:26, said:

In part. The TechFiles contain not just regulations (for the latest version of which I think one should look on the ACBL Website) but also interpretations, which is what that "CTD" thing is. And I'm pretty sure Rick Beye was ACBL CTD in 2008. I note that the position no longer exists. I have no idea why the ACBL abolished it. Cost cutting, perhaps?

There are regional supervisors who were reporting to the CTD, who in turn reported to higher ups in the office. It was determine that it was unnecessary to have the added step in the hierarchy.

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-September-04, 12:18

View Postkevperk, on 2012-September-04, 11:27, said:

There are regional supervisors who were reporting to the CTD, who in turn reported to higher ups in the office. It was determine that it was unnecessary to have the added step in the hierarchy.

<shrug> I don't suppose it matters a whole lot. It just seems odd to me not to have a CTD. :blink:
--------------------

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-September-04, 14:09

View PostLH2650, on 2012-September-04, 07:16, said:

Changes to the Tech Files in ACBLscore are approved by the ACBL Laws Commission, so I think that they can be considered regulations.

On the other hand, it would be unusual to have regulations which aren't published in a form that is accessible to the people they regulate.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#19 User is offline   LH2650 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 18:54

View Postgnasher, on 2012-September-04, 14:09, said:

On the other hand, it would be unusual to have regulations which aren't published in a form that is accessible to the people they regulate.

ACBLscore can be downloaded, and the Tech Files read, by anyone with a computer.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-05, 19:19

View PostLH2650, on 2012-September-05, 18:54, said:

ACBLscore can be downloaded, and the Tech Files read, by anyone with a computer.

If it occurred to them that that's where they could find the regulations...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users