BBO Discussion Forums: Clubs or Not Clubs - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clubs or Not Clubs

Poll: Clubs or Not Clubs (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What is 5C?

1. Clubs (19 votes [70.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.37%

2. Not Clubs (7 votes [25.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

3. None of the above (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-25, 18:22

(3NT*) - Dbl - (4C*) - 5C

The opponents play Namyats, and 3NT showed a 4m preempt. 4C was pass/correct. What should 5C be? If partner bids it undiscussed, what would you expect it to be.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#2 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-August-25, 18:40

With clubs you have to double and bid 5C aftewards.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#3 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-25, 18:44

Most of this hinges on why 5C bidder did not wait for
opponents to correct to diamonds if he has clubs.
Second why no double of 4C to show clubs?
And no 4D if they have diamonds?
I take this as Michaels-like for MM.

#4 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-August-25, 19:18

...yes, and in addition to Michaels is an old fashioned 3-suit takeout with a void in ...I lean toward Michaels.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-25, 19:23

I don't understand the third choice. It either shows clubs or it doesn't. What it does show, as far as quantity or controls in clubs or diamonds is another matter. I voted it doesn't. It seems Dake's logic works. Depending on overall strength, we can either double and then bid 5C (stronger) or wait and bid 5C, if we have clubs.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2012-August-25, 19:49

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-25, 20:05

A pair playing in the English Premier League bid (3N gambling)-P-(4C)-5C; AP. I thought they were somewhat unlucky to find trumps breaking 8-0.

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-25, 20:09

How is this not clubs?

The whole "we must do X with clubs so it's not clubs thing" is kind of retarded since I could say "We must pass with Y and 5C shows clubs"

#8 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-25, 20:10

Depends a bit on what double of 4 would be.

I think it really should be "takeout of clubs" in which case 5 should be natural. However, if your agreement is that double is penalty of clubs, then you'd bid that with a "club" hand and 5 is artificial.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-August-25, 20:15

Double being penalty of clubs seems bizarre? What do you do with takeout of clubs? Conversely, with penalty of clubs, LHO will have diamonds so you could pass or bid 5C

#10 User is offline   rwbarton 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-25, 20:44

I usually treat pass/correct bids as natural on the basis that you expect to get another chance if their partner has the other suit. So x = t/o of , 4X = natural, pass then x = t/o of , pass then 5 = , and 5 over 4 is majors I suppose, whatever a 5 bid over a natural 4 opening would show. Yes, they could foil us by passing 4 when holding diamonds. My opponents rarely do this though (most common situation where this comes up for me is something like 1NT (2, +major) P (2 p/c)).

Han, you frequently encounter Multi I imagine? What is (2) x (2) 3?

#11 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-26, 03:37

There is useful rule that double is always t/o to pass or correct bid (two way doubles are an alternative to that).
Here 4C could (and often will be) passed so we need t/o double as we can't wait with that.

Once we know dbl is t/o to clubs it's easy to infer what 5C is.

Similar but lower sequence:

1NT - pass - pass - 2C*
pass- 2D** - dbl

*-capp
**-pass or correct

Double should be t/o here because we are stuck with very likely 4-4-2-3 kind of hand and we can't afford passing as 2D might become a final contract.

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-August-26, 03:43

The danger of any method that starts with a pass at red is that opener passes while holding the other suit and you collect a lot of 50s but not enough. Seen this (and done it as few times) in 1Nx wriggle and multi auctions particularly if I get any body language tell that the hand over the P/C bid had a good hand.

That said, applying our normal meta rules for P/C bids which may not be sensible at this level X is T/O of clubs, pass then X 4 is T/O of diamonds, 5/4 are natural, pass then 5 is clubs and a major leaping michaels style.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-August-26, 04:00

View Posthan, on 2012-August-25, 18:22, said:

(3NT*) - Dbl - (4C*) - 5C

The opponents play Namyats, and 3NT showed a 4m preempt. 4C was pass/correct. What should 5C be? If partner bids it undiscussed, what would you expect it to be.

Undiscussed is the key word of this topic imo. You guys can debate and all about what 5 should be, and i am sure Kenrexford will love that part of the topic. Meanwhile, undiscussed i don't think anyone has the right to torture pd at the table and should not bid it except than with natural clubs. Again i am not saying it is good to play it natural or vice versa, all i am saying is i would not use such a debatable artificial bid undiscussed and stress my pd.

About this auction after 4 : Imo 4 should be doubled most of the time to show uncertain hands with cards. DBL stops all the fooling and mystery immediately, 3NT opener will now have to tell us his story. I mean their convention gave us an advantage, now we were available to double their preempt by both partner ! Which would not be the case had they opened 4m. if 3NT opener passes our dbl pd knows opener has clubs and i have cards and not willing to bid a suit by myself, if opener corrects to 4 my dbl still doesnt show clubs but cards and again we gained a lot of space and advantage compared to had they opened a simple 4m preempt.

This is like being able to respond a take out dbl with dbl!!

4m-dbl-pass-dbl

3NT-DBL-4m-DBL

3NT-DBL-4-DBL
4-DBL We now had the advantage of doubling their preempt 3 times !!! Hell i like this :P

Same thing if we just stop being obsessed with dbl showing the clubs, which is not a good use imo but i am ready to believe otherwise if someone explains me

The way i see it, i can double with values and 3325 4324 3424 4423 4432 3415 3451 etc etc, it sounds dangerous i know but if we just think 3NT opener will clear everything, i think it is fairly safe and it gives us a lot of advantage to dbl 4 with majority of the hands which are not exceptional in shape, which makes bids by us shows exceptional shape. We are way ahead of pairs who had to bid the same hand vs a simple old school 4m preempt. For example after dbl by pd, i would have to commit to something at 4 level, now i am able to tell him "hey i have money too but i didn't decide where to spend it yet" The price i pay for this will be disabling myself to DBL when i have long and/or good clubs.

Lot to be said about 5 being a cue...This 5 being a cue just doesn't sound right to me. Pd doubled he has money, i am looking at my hand and i have money too, opponents already pushed us to make a decision at 4 level and by bidding 5 i am also wasting a whole 4 level doesnt sound like a smart thing to do to me. We have the money, we need the space and every bit of it left to us should be used, we can't just give up whole 4 level just to spare DBl for showing clubs. Just saying.

EDIT: 4 being used as a cue in this auction regardless of their minor can be interesting idea. At least it doesnt bring us to 5 level.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-26, 04:57

I do not follow the logic that it should be something other than C.

#15 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-August-26, 05:52

We played in the 3-0 fit yesterday but fortunately clubs broke 7-3.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#16 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-26, 06:25

Double being penalty of clubs seems bizarre? What do you do with takeout of clubs? Conversely, with penalty of clubs, LHO will have diamonds so you could pass or bid 5C

*** Then what are next round meanings?

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-26, 08:37

This seems like a parallel of the multi auction:

(2) - dbl - (2) - 3

Option II says this is Rubensohl :blink:

I think Han's auction is natural, and stronger than a delayed 5.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-27, 02:32

This depends on the meaning of double, if double sounds take out to you then this is natural. But if you have some agreement that after a penalty double all doubles are penalty or something like that then you are stuck with suboptimal agreements and this is for take out.

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-27, 02:33

View PostMickyB, on 2012-August-25, 20:05, said:

A pair playing in the English Premier League bid (3N gambling)-P-(4C)-5C; AP. I thought they were somewhat unlucky to find trumps breaking 8-0.

View Posthan, on 2012-August-26, 05:52, said:

We played in the 3-0 fit yesterday but fortunately clubs broke 7-3.

When I open multi this things never happen to me :(

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users