Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cool, easy to implement feature

#1 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-15, 10:01

In partnership bidding allow inputting .lin files and choosing line for pair to bid.
For example you could download .lin files from Spingold final, choose the line Helgemo-Helness played on and bid the hands and then compare to what happened at the table. This paired with rented GIB bidding for opponents would be really cool. Please..... :)
You could also monetize by selling packs of say 500 hands bid by elite pairs and adding options like: "review hands where different contract happend" etc.

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-15, 10:25

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-August-15, 10:01, said:

In partnership bidding allow inputting .lin files and choosing line for pair to bid.
For example you could download .lin files from Spingold final, choose the line Helgemo-Helness played on and bid the hands and then compare to what happened at the table. This paired with rented GIB bidding for opponents would be really cool. Please..... :)
You could also monetize by selling packs of say 500 hands bid by elite pairs and adding options like: "review hands where different contract happend" etc.

Great idea. One of the best things on Larry Cohen's site are the 'bidemups' where you get to compare your contract to a pair playing in a major event.

Seems BBO could take VG files, take the final contract (may need an input for competitive bidding) and automatically IMP it against your result.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-15, 13:04

Good ideas!

The "easy to implement" bit is uncertain though. Sometimes things seem like they should not be hard, but they turn out to be anyway, due to peculiarities in the way the software has been built. For example getting more than 16 comparisons per board .. it doesn't sound hard, but Fred has said that this is hard coded way down at the foundation of the software and cannot be changed without a major overhaul.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-15, 14:04

View Postbillw55, on 2012-August-15, 13:04, said:

The "easy to implement" bit is uncertain though. Sometimes things seem like they should not be hard, but they turn out to be anyway, due to peculiarities in the way the software has been built. For example getting more than 16 comparisons per board .. it doesn't sound hard, but Fred has said that this is hard coded way down at the foundation of the software and cannot be changed without a major overhaul.

It's hard-coded in the old (Windows download) version. Anything that only affects the new (web) version is much easier.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-August-15, 14:07

I think you can already do this.

Go into Hands and Results, and click on Import LIN File to upload the file to your hands. Then after starting the bidding table, click on Deal Source, and select the folder that you created.

We could probably make it easier, by letting you select Vugraph archives directly like you can when creating an IMP Pairs table.

#6 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 00:15

Go into Hands and Results, and click on Import LIN File to upload the file to your hands.

I consider myself rather literate computer user but I unable to figure out how to do this.
I click on Import LIN file, "Import LIN file" window pops up. Now my options are "select" and "create hand folder". With the latter I just add more folders, when I click select nothing happens. When I click "Show" next to it I get the message that the folder is empty. How do I move .lin files there from my hard drive ?
I also tried drag and dropping .lin files. What I got in response "are you sure you want to leave BBO" dialong box.

EDIT: ok, Chrome automatically blocked a pop-up when you can select a file and I didn't notice it because there is only small icon in top right corner telling me about it :)

#7 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 00:28

Ok, so I managed to deal hands from .lin file, cool. Few problems:

-I can't figure out how to use rented GIB's as opponents. So far I've been using old bbo client and there is this option but in web client I only see "Pass throughout" and "Controlled by host". How do I use GIBs I just rented for the purpose ?

-I would be really cool if I could choose a line (NS/WE) to sit on from given .lin file without closing and reopening the table.

Anyway, this is really cool :) I think the hassle to find all those options might be too much for average user though. Something like a button: "compare yourself to Helgemo" where GIBs automatically bid as opponents would be great :)

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 03:29

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-August-16, 00:28, said:

Ok, so I managed to deal hands from .lin file, cool. Few problems:

-I can't figure out how to use rented GIB's as opponents. So far I've been using old bbo client and there is this option but in web client I only see "Pass throughout" and "Controlled by host". How do I use GIBs I just rented for the purpose ?

Open the table, sit in one seat and buttons with "Click for robot" appear on empty seats. Click to seat the robots.

FWIW robots are free at bidding tables on the web version. Might be more fun to use them at teaching tables, now that you rented them already - that way you get to play the hand too.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2012-August-16, 03:36

#9 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 03:34

Thanks !

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 13:29

You could also use hands that have been played on BBO; you could then add competitive bidding by using actions that were chosen by a large percentage of people.

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-August-15, 10:01, said:

"Monetize" does not mean "make money from by selling", despite a depressingly widespread misconception.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-August-21, 15:00

View PostVampyr, on 2012-August-21, 13:29, said:

"Monetize" does not mean "make money from by selling", despite a depressingly widespread misconception.

In the case of language, when a conception becomes widespread enough, it becomes truth. Most words you utter were once mistakes (except for coined words that were added to the language), otherwise we would all still be speaking Proto-Indo-European (or one of its predecessors). Some words have even totally reversed their meanings: "terrific" was originally bad (its root is the same as "terror") and "awful" meant good ("inspiring awe").

#12 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 11:46

Thanks. English is not my native language and I always appreciate people who teach me something about it :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users