BBO Discussion Forums: What does 3 clubs show? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does 3 clubs show?

#1 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-September-05, 16:50

Playing in an individual with butler scoring, opponents are playing a simple form of 2/1. What would you assume 3 clubs means? What would you lead?

#2 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-September-05, 17:16

I would assume natural - west probably has a 4144 or 4054. I don't really know what to lead, I'll let someone better than me have a go at that :)
I Transfers

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-September-05, 17:54

Should show Cs in my book. I would lead a H.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-05, 18:23

Too much fun, leading a singleton vs. NT. But I think leading pard's 5-bagger might work better that declarer's 5-bagger. Spades might well be their transportation suit, also.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-September-05, 19:47

The only problem with a spade though is that you're the one getting in and you won't be able to lead it anymore (if pard has the diamond stoppers, he's not likely to have a good spade suit too, that's a lot of HCP?) Also pard might have overcalled 1 if he had a suit worth leading. What about a diamond? Partner might have a good diamond suit and dummy has Kxxx or something but then you might just be setting up dummy's good five card suit. I would be a bit nervous leading a heart, as East could easily have a real five or six-card heart suit. But then again, it probably isn;t doing any harm (hopefully pard has the T or something so you haven't lost your double stopper) As for a club, East might have a singleton or doubleton ten or queen which might not work out so well. Can the jack of clubs ever work? Can the club suit be distributed Qxx in dummy Axx in partner and Tx in declarer? Feel free to call me an idiot if it's a stupid idea :)
I Transfers

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-05, 22:58

No, you aren't an idiot. I just don't feel like helping declarer set up tricks. Not trying to get to pard. maybe declarer will do that for us.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-06, 01:34

I would lead

3 can be natural or patterning out with 3 cards.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-September-06, 02:01

To me 3 is pattering out, I would play him for a 4144 or 4054 hand too.
I would lead a club.

I play declarer for something along a 3532 with nothing in clubs. I would not play the jack, but this is sexy. At least till you find out that they hold T8xx in Dummy and Qx in the closed hand...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#9 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-06, 02:08

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-September-05, 22:58, said:

No, you aren't an idiot. I just don't feel like helping declarer set up tricks. Not trying to get to pard. maybe declarer will do that for us.

A spade seems like a ridiculous lead to me. RHO has shown a GF hand with no club values, thus he is extremely likely to have fitting spade and diamond honours. Not only does this make it likely that he will come to nine tricks eventually and hence that we should lead aggressively, it also means that a pointed suit lead could rob partner of vital entries for leading clubs, and that it might crush partners holdings.

I would lead a club, with a heart a distant second.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#10 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-September-06, 03:15

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-September-06, 02:08, said:

RHO has shown a GF hand with no club values

Could it be that RHO has 5 hearts and wanted to look for a heart fit? Or perhaps RHO had some other reason to bid fourth suit GF, a hand like xxx KQ10x AQx Axx? Or do you think that that hand should bid differently?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-06, 03:35

A club lead could certainly work but I prefer a more passive lead when the breaks seem to be bad for declarer. Partner probably has 4 diamonds. I will go for a diamond.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#12 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-06, 03:42

View Posthan, on 2012-September-06, 03:15, said:

Could it be that RHO has 5 hearts and wanted to look for a heart fit? Or perhaps RHO had some other reason to bid fourth suit GF, a hand like xxx KQ10x AQx Axx? Or do you think that that hand should bid differently?

Yeah sure, he can have these hands, but there is also a pretty large fraction of hands where he will have Axx KQTx AQx xxx, in which case leading a club is likely to work better than leading a spade.

I strongly believe that its a mistake to lead passively on this auction. I would lead a club, probably the J.

The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-September-06, 03:57

Am I the only person that sees this as possibly "I have a club stop, but it might be better led through than up to", expecting Ax on the deck and Qxx with declarer. Even if this is the case, I'm not sure what I want to lead, it could easily be that partner has xxx and just leading them twice is sufficient.

#14 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-September-06, 08:47

At the table I assumed LHO had 4 clubs, so decided to try and find partner's suit, leading the 7. While this was partner's suit, the lead was not a success:

I also messed up later in the defence too, throwing a I needed to keep, letting the contract through for an 11 imp loss. A low club lead would probably have led to down 2.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-September-06, 09:21

View PostQuartic, on 2012-September-06, 08:47, said:

I also messed up later in the defence too, throwing a I needed to keep, letting the contract through for an 11 imp loss. A low club lead would probably have led to down 2.

Sad to say you deserve each other, partner knows you have a singleton spade presuming you don't lead small from J7/Q7/QJ7. Why have you led a stiff ? Probably because you have a heart and/or club suit you didn't want to lead. Playing a spade back is silly, club looks more promising than heart so I think he should find the switch.

Discarding the heart is also ridiculous, you just have to hope declarer doesn't have the J8 left, so he can't exit a club to you to give him 2 more hearts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users