• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-12, 02:52

It goes
1 1 dbl 2

1 = 2+, clubs or balanced
dbl = both majors, typically 4-4 but can be longer

Which suits are (or should be) cue-bids?

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-August-12, 03:14

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-12, 03:38

Since DBL showed both majors they should be cue ( 3 in this auction)

Club suit seems not bid by them (due to 2+) however opener skipped 2, denying 4 card ? If so you need to give me more hint about when exactly they open 1 with only 2. Seems like in this auction opener has at least 3 of them unless they open 1 with 2+4. Something i am not familiar with to be honest, just because their 1 shows 2+ doesnt mean we should not use it as cue IF their 2nd bid implied length in suit.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-August-12, 04:42

View PostMrAce, on 2012-August-12, 03:38, said:

Since DBL showed both majors they should be cue ( 3 in this auction)

We could still have a 4-4 heart fit, def don't agree that hearts is a cuebid.

I think spades is a cuebid. Clubs is either our only game try (if X is not some game try), or natural (if X is a game try).

So I guess my answer to the OP would be "spades"

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-August-12, 16:24

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-August-12, 04:42, said:

We could still have a 4-4 heart fit, def don't agree that hearts is a cuebid.

I think spades is a cuebid. Clubs is either our only game try (if X is not some game try), or natural (if X is a game try).

So I guess my answer to the OP would be "spades"

I dont think just because we can have 4-4 fit justifies a bid to be natural when one of them is known to have 4-5 of this suit, especially at 3 level. The chances of finding fit when one of them showed 4-5 is reduced, and even if you find a fit you know it will split 4-1 or on a bad day 5-0. Also the simple 2 bid by opener usually means a balanced hand, so i expect him to hold at least 2 hearts most of the time. Do we really want to use this bid to find a 4-4 fit ?

On the other hand you can of course convince me that playing this 3 as cuebid has less merits than using it as natural. Something which i didnt really think about much tbh.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users