BBO Discussion Forums: What kind of hand does partner have? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What kind of hand does partner have?

#1 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2012-August-07, 03:17

You open 1NT, 15-17 no trump, you are playing Lebensoh and double of an overcall is for take-out. What kind of hand does partner have after this sequence?

1NT -(2)-dble-(3);
pass- pass- 3
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-07, 03:27

With Leben in use, it seems all possible hands which still want to bid that high would have been covered by other sequences...immediate 3H for the G.F, 3-suiters....3S, or 2nt then 3S for the spade hands...3m for the hands with spades and longer minor...2NT, then double for g.f stayman with heart stop. Nothing left for this one, IMO.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-07, 04:21

An invitational hand with five spades doesn't fit into lebensohl and I think it would be sensible to bid such a hand this way.

I suppose a 40(45) with chuncky spades and invitational values is also possible.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-07, 05:04

An invitational hand with 5 spades would bid 2NT then 3 - at least I did when playing Lebensohl.

This seems like he wanted you to play the hand, so he is essentially 3 suited with short hearts, wants to bid on rather than let them play, and was frightened of a second double because you might take it for penalties.

He can't be a game hand with 4 spades because that hand bids 3. So, to play, but happy for you to bid a 5 card minor if you have one.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-07, 08:09

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-August-07, 05:04, said:

An invitational hand with 5 spades would bid 2NT then 3 - at least I did when playing Lebensohl.

Me, too. 2NT, then a suit above RHO's suit invites; in other situations we pretty much either force to game or try to play part score --most invites are lost.

Many reasonable forum posters have suggested invites are over-rated in notrump auctions with or without competition, but Leben does give us a couple of them.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-07, 11:34

Is this a pickup partnership?

If the double was the dreaded (and to my mind REALLY dumb) stolen bid deal the 3 bid just confirms stubborness as well. You stated the conditions but I'm always wary of any player that even hints at "stolen bid".
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2012-August-07, 12:14

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-August-07, 03:27, said:

With Leben in use, it seems all possible hands which still want to bid that high would have been covered by other sequences...immediate 3H for the G.F, 3-suiters....3S, or 2nt then 3S for the spade hands...3m for the hands with spades and longer minor...2NT, then double for g.f stayman with heart stop. Nothing left for this one, IMO.

{comments}

I didn't know quite what to make of partner's 3 bid and thought it most likely just competing. So I passed.

Here is an e-mail post mortem:
Hand 16
Me:
I think maybe you are right, I should bid 4♠ in any case. I have just put this hand to the forum. I hope the opinions roll in soon. http://www.bridgebas...s-partner-have/

Partner:
"It will be interesting to see what other people think but it can’t be weak as I would have bid 2S to start with."

Me:
Is this what we play?
1NT-(2♥)-2♠ = to play Yes

1N-(2♥)-2NT-(3♥)
P (-p) -3♠ = invite Yes

1NT-(2♥)-3♠ = Game force Yes

Me: This must be right if you have a 6 card spade suit. I can see that with 5 spades and a game going hand, you want to keep the choice of 3N or 4♠ open. Yes

So bid suit with 6 either direct for game force or via Lebensohl for invite. Double then if partner bids 3 minor,(or opps compete with 3) bid 3 forcing 5 card suit. Is this too esoteric? Is there a flaw?
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#8 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-07, 12:53

Is there anything keeping us from 3NT after 1NT - (2) - 3? Responder can always correct with six spades.
Kaya!

#9 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-07, 14:05

i would have guessed something funny like 4S6m... certainly not a single suited game force with spades
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#10 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-August-07, 23:40

Would seem the negative double expresses doubt about stoppers. 1N-2-3 can be bid on 5 cards...perhaps the stopper distinction is useful - I wouldn't mind playing in a 5-2 fit when we don't stop .
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#11 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2012-August-09, 06:40

At least 5 spades, gf values, and he was interested in going for blood, but
after they told us, that they have a 9 card fit, the interest vanished.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-09, 09:39

View Postkuhchung, on 2012-August-07, 14:05, said:

i would have guessed something funny like 4S6m... certainly not a single suited game force with spades

Wouldn't he bid 4m with this pattern? I suppose if the minor was really good and the spades were lousy and he didn't want to bypass 3N? How about Jxxx x AQxxxx xx??

I guess that means with four good spades and a bad six card minor partner bids 4m. KQTx x Qxxxxx xx.

Bridge is hard.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2012-August-09, 09:55

View PostWackojack, on 2012-August-07, 12:14, said:

<snip>
So bid suit with 6 either direct for game force or via Lebensohl for invite. Double then if partner bids 3 minor,(or opps compete with 3) bid 3 forcing 5 card suit. Is this too esoteric? Is there a flaw?

#1 If he has GF values and 6 spades, he always can bid 4S, ... unless he has SI.
#2 With a bal. hand, 5332 shape, min GF values, the option going for blood, trying to take the sure plus,
will quite often be an interesting alternative, if we have 24-25 HCP between us, and they have only
a 8 card fit, will they make 2?? - and will we make our game contract?

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#14 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-09, 15:22

View PostPhil, on 2012-August-09, 09:39, said:

Wouldn't he bid 4m with this pattern? I suppose if the minor was really good and the spades were lousy and he didn't want to bypass 3N? How about Jxxx x AQxxxx xx??

I guess that means with four good spades and a bad six card minor partner bids 4m. KQTx x Qxxxxx xx.

Bridge is hard.

I dunno. I was just trying to come up with obscure stuff since I really don't know what this auction shows. But we certainly don't have to reinvent the wheel and find another way to GF with spades, was my main point.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users