• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can he do this? Which law says so?

#101 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-23, 10:31

blackshoe, on 2012-August-23, 06:38, said:

You are not supposed to look "intently" at what other players are doing. It seems to me that in order to get any info from how an opponent is sorting, you have to look "intently". So if you may have gained from what you've seen, you've committed an infraction.

That's not what intently means. It may be easier if you are looking intently, but it's certainly possible to get some info from looking casually.

#102 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-23, 10:52

mjj29, on 2012-August-23, 10:31, said:

That's not what intently means. It may be easier if you are looking intently, but it's certainly possible to get some info from looking casually.

Some simple souls believe intently means with intent, whatever that intent might be. I am a simple soul.

If a law refers to looking intently and then gives possible intents, we can add more possibilities to those examples, and that is a good thing. If it just uses the word, that is not a good thing. If the law says it is wrong to look intently only if we have certain specific intents, then we follow what it says and get to look intently for other things; I don't like that, but others might.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#103 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-23, 14:03

StevenG, on 2012-August-23, 01:44, said:

But if TDs are expected to give weight to WBFLC minutes when ruling, then surely an updated law book would disseminate to club level much more quickly.
It might. But I've just managed to convince one club TD that the revoke laws have changed. By "just", I mean last month. Granted that's an outlier, but I'm sure it's worse in other places than here.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#104 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-23, 17:46

blackshoe, on 2012-August-23, 06:38, said:

You are not supposed to look "intently" at what other players are doing. It seems to me that in order to get any info from how an opponent is sorting, you have to look "intently". So if you may have gained from what you've seen, you've committed an infraction.

mjj29, on 2012-August-23, 10:31, said:

This statement makes no logical sense to me, since I did not define "intently", I simply said that it seems to me that you have to look "intently" to gain any information. If you disagree with that, fine, but don't try to tell me I don't know what the word means.

aguahombre, on 2012-August-23, 10:52, said:

Some simple souls believe intently means with intent, whatever that intent might be. I am a simple soul.

Well, unfortunately, in this case the simple answer is wrong. :)

intently |inˈtentlē| adverb
with earnest and eager attention

--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users