BBO Discussion Forums: A hand from last night - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A hand from last night

Poll: A hand from last night (32 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you bid with the hand below (2/1)?

1. Pass (4 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. 1H (19 votes [59.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.38%

3. 2H (8 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. 3H (1 votes [3.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-31, 11:32

This hand happened in the World Youth Championship last night. I was a commentator, and I said what I would have done, 3 different kibitzers messaged me choosing the other three choices in the poll. I want to see what you BBFers would say. I think I know, but I could be wrong. Note - I will NOT add a multi 2, since this pair did not play it.

EDIT - I had it at the time showing seat and vulnerability, but apparently if there's no bids in the auction, then they don't show the auction and only show the hand. First seat, favorable vul.

This post has been edited by chasetb: 2012-July-31, 15:15

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-July-31, 13:08

I'm on record for 1.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   ColdCrayon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-31, 13:30

I'd think in most systems the AK in diamonds (aside from the broken Q-high hearts) makes a preempt out of the question, but it's opening strength. So 1 for me too.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-July-31, 15:11

Vul/position ?

3rd in I'd consider 3 NV, pass is in the frame in 4th, but 1st or 2nd 1 seems obvious.

#5 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2012-July-31, 23:38

2H for me. Yes I know Zar points tells me I can open 1H, but, what happens if pard bids 2S in 3rd seat (if this is 1st seat)? Yuck. And playing 2/1, opening 1H leads to issues in 2/1 auctions where you go 1H-2C-2D-2S-3H-3NT and you table a hand that is suited for suit play.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#6 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-August-01, 02:09

1, do not feel strongly about it though, just like it more than any heart preempt, pass, or tactical psyching.
Chris Gibson

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-August-01, 02:14

Definitely NOT 1H for me unless I am playing Lobs. Prefer pass as 7 of my 9 points are outside my main suit. I can live with 2H.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 05:02

Semi-constructive weak twos solve exactly this kind of problem :)
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#9 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 21:09

I really really hate a 2 opening under these conditions (dealer, w/r). If not allowed to open 1 I would open 4, I don't even think a 4 opening is terrible (again, as dealer and w/r).
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-04, 03:52

I just can not believe there are people who values this hand less than a flat 12 hcp. (and i am being generous, those who watched spingold, BB, Vandy in vugraph probably observed that almost all flat 11 hcp hands are opened )

6-4 and all 9 hcps in my suits, with 2 side quick tricks in defense, awesome vulnerability, and i pass/preempt 2-3 ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-August-04, 04:38

View PostMrAce, on 2012-August-04, 03:52, said:

I just can not believe there are people who values this hand less than a flat 12 hcp. (and i am being generous, those who watched spingold, BB, Vandy in vugraph probably observed that almost all flat 11 hcp hands are opened )

6-4 and all 9 hcps in my suits, with 2 side quick tricks in defense, awesome vulnerability, and i pass/preempt 2-3 ?

MrAce, as this hand and a flat 11/12 count are two totally different hand types your comment is totally meaningless at worst and misleading at best. I will explain for you:
after 1x 1y 1NT pd can expect a flat 11-13, (14) hand and proceed accordingly.
Playing 2/1, after 1H 2C 2D or similar, partner will not expect a 9 count. He will force to game with any decent 12 or 13+. Now if the hands do not fit too well you will have little hope of making
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-04, 08:25

2h or 3h may have chances for success but will leave partner forever in doubt
about how to procedd in the future since your possible hand ranges are so wide
they are unplayable.

The main argument is for or against 1h. While some of the elements of a light opening bid
are present not all of them are.

1. defense this hand contains 2 quick tricks and since they are outside our long suit the
probability they are good quick tricks increases dramatically.

2. Lead direction while this is a 6 bagger the suit quality fails to meet this qualification.

3. preemption-the 1h bid actually increases the odds the opps will find spades because it is
generally easier to overcall 1s than open 1s. This is bad---- If the void had been in clubs this
hand would look better.

4. this is not the weak type of hand that plays reasonably well in misfit cases. The lack of
heart quality does not offer one much hope of development if no heart fit so p will often put
us in hopeless games expecting a significantly better hand.

5. Some success can be expected if lho passes and p can raise to 4h. This may shut out the opps
that is the best scenario. The quesiton is does it occur often enough to make up for the frequent
poor results.

Overall I pass but I have some sympathy for anyone that opens 1h.

#13 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-04, 08:42

View Postthe hog, on 2012-August-04, 04:38, said:

MrAce, as this hand and a flat 11/12 count are two totally different hand types your comment is totally meaningless at worst and misleading at best. I will explain for you:
after 1x 1y 1NT pd can expect a flat 11-13, (14) hand and proceed accordingly.
Playing 2/1, after 1H 2C 2D or similar, partner will not expect a 9 count. He will force to game with any decent 12 or 13+. Now if the hands do not fit too well you will have little hope of making

True, Timo should have clarified his statement to say a 'flat 11 or 12' was a hand more like Qxx Jxxxx Qxx AK or maybe Qx Qxxxxx Ax Kxx which are much uglier hands than the OP and would opened by 100% of the field in a significant event.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#14 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-August-04, 10:17

I am old enough to think pass is completely obvious.

I appreciate the playing strength is there for a 1H opening, that is my (distant) second choice, but this is not the hand partner expects when it goes 1H-1S-2H and REALLY not the hand he expects if I rebid 2D.

#15 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-04, 10:23

View Postthe hog, on 2012-August-04, 04:38, said:

What if he has a decent 12 or 13+ and the hands do fit well?
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-04, 10:41

2 is the worst option by far, missestates offensive values and defensive values.

pass with void in spades is a joke also, forcing us to take a second round gamble.

1 is easy, but gambling 3 or 4 is a reasonable gamble if you want a swing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users