• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Minor siut texas explanation needed

#1 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-November-19, 13:25

Hi,

Can someone explain minor suit texas to me please, I am curious how it differs from minor suit transfers and if possible provide a link and a response structure

#2 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-19, 18:26

I've never heard of it. Maybe others have.
"Phil" on BBO

#3 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-20, 01:30

Hadn't thought of it as Texas, but 3S is a transfer to 4C, and 4C is a transfer to 4D. We use this only for weak hands - slam interest we transfer with 2S or 3C, then bid 3NT.

We play weak/mini NT in the first 3 seats, so we haven't felt the lack of Gerber yet :) I don't know if this would make sense with a strong NT, but we've had some success playing it with 10-13/12-14.

Peter

#4 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-20, 01:51

bidding went

Rodwell opened 14-16 pt 1nt, 2 spade was minor suit texas, then 2nt rebid by Rodwell indicated minimum hand and 3 spade bid indicated long diamond suit.

David bird called it minor suit texas, I was just curious what it was thats all, I was reading it is a magazine

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-20, 06:08

I played something like that years ago, sadly in spain we rename each convention as soon as it travells through the border, so I know it by transfer to both minors :).

1NT - 3x is used as a 6 card suit and slam interest.
1NT - 2 may be to play 3/ or having a good 5 card suit that may wanna play slam.

1NT - 2 - 2NT was defined as a very good raise if you have .

I do no longer play this, I have switched to something less complicated wich gives better results:

1NT -2/3 = transfer to /.

then
3/- 3/ = shortness, that way partner will judge to bid 3NT when having honnors in your shortnerss, or try to play 5/6 in the minor when he has nothing.

ok after here the easy ones, now the ones a bit less naturals:

3/ - 3NT = shortness in the other minor

1NT-2
3-3 = 5-5 in the minors GF.

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-November-20, 06:36

Seems like it's just some sort of "4 suit transfers".

If you open 1NT with 5 card Majors, here's a little tool I invented never to miss a 5-3 Major fit (together with other tools to find 5 card Majors ofcourse):

2NT = transfer OR GF 5-3M

Opener bids as if responder has s (step 1 = support + tophonour, step 2 = no support and/or no tophonour), and if responder now bids 3M he has a GF hand with exactly 3 card M and exactly 5 card OM (Smolen-like).

This way, with GF hands, if you have 54+M, you use Stayman+Smolen, with 5-3 you go through 2NT, and with less than a 3-card in a Major you can still transfer or use Stayman to find the fit. Otherwise, the 5-3 hands might give too much problems: you either transfer the 5 card and throw away the 3 card, or you ask for a 5 card and you throw away your own 5 card, or you have to ask the entire hand and give too much info to opps...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-20, 11:28

sceptic, on Nov 19 2004, 11:51 PM, said:

bidding went

Rodwell opened 14-16 pt 1nt, 2 spade was minor suit texas, then 2nt rebid by Rodwell indicated minimum hand and 3 spade bid indicated long diamond suit.

David bird called it minor suit texas, I was just curious what it was thats all, I was reading it is a magazine

Well, sort of.

2 is a range ask (initially just showing a value raise to 2N) and 2N shows a minimum. Now apparently a pull to 3/3/3 has an extended meaning.
"Phil" on BBO

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users