• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oops

#1 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-31, 16:08

Spade lead. Thoughts?

North thought this was tricks based and didn't fancy a 6-1 heart fit. South didn't want to cue and risk partner thinking his diamond stop wasn't great.

2H over 1C would have been invitational*, 2NT over 2D would have been 17-19, X would have been support, and a 2NT opening would have been 20-21. If you can't live with opening 1C then please consider xx KJ AKQx AKJxx or xx KJ AKQ AKJxxx.

Would it make any difference if doubling would have been for takeout?

* There is a reason for this that's not really relevant to this post; Anyway, 1H then 2H is nominally 4-8.

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-July-31, 17:10

View PostMickyB, on 2012-July-31, 16:08, said:

If you can't live with opening 1C then please consider xx KJ AKQx AKJxx or xx KJ AKQ AKJxxx.

I would still rather open 2N, perhaps 1 2N with the second alternative hand.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 06:50

I'd open 2NT on the original hand, but not having done so I'd rebid 3NT. On the other two hands, I'd open 1 and play in 3NT. This doesn't look great, but 4 may go down on a ruff.

I don't have a solution for this problem, except to say that in this sequence it's rare to hold a very strong hand with good diamonds and weak spades, and it's reasonable that one's methods should cater for more common hands, accepting that it makes this hand-type hard to bid sensibly.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-01, 19:57

Since 3NT really does sound like solid long clubs (I would have opened 2NT and borne the blame if responder had 5/5 majors), you could always rebid 3. This sounds like a very good hand without 3 hearts and without a diamond stopper and without long clubs, but responder can bid 3 which you can raise, 3 (just values presumably) over which you can bid 3NT (showing something similar to your actual hand although maybe with singleton spade or heart), and if responder happens to bid 4 you can bid 5 which is probably a good contract if responder can't bid 3 or 3. Or if you decide you want to look for slam you can try 4 which will probably show the same hand as the 3NT rebid over a 3 bid by responder (if it's not keycard that is).
I Transfers

#5 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-03, 03:59

I blame the system, if N had weak jump available there is no problem.

I would have opened the South hand 2N, but after opening 1, i dont see any alternative to 3N......

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-03, 05:52

3NT immediately is trick based and shows long near solid clubs.

I think the best by far is to double 2.
Yes this promises 3 card support in hearts, but it is cheap and will not be passed.
Next you intent to bid 3NT.
If partner takes it out into 4, who says 3NT would have been better?

Rainer Herrmann

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users