• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Sporting Scene

#21 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-01, 10:42

Aberlour10, on 2012-August-01, 10:23, said:

The sprinter from Paraguay comes to London even if he knows it will be only for 10-11 seconds while one run. Why does he do it? Because its Olympic Games.

Explain your recommendation to the Bridge Kids in China.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#22 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 10:44

Cyberyeti, on 2012-August-01, 03:05, said:

The empty seats have been a MASSIVE issue in the UK, not sure how much that's been reported abroad.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I know some people who aren't using their tickets. Sometimes people applied for tones of tickets, but only planned to use them if they didn't get their first choice tickets. Sometimes people bought tickets on weekdays when there was a chance they could get a (part of) a day off work, as they didnt know if work would be busy or not at that time. For lots of professionals their workload goes up and down regularly, and they would not know far enough in advance if they could take time of for a week day session.

Reselling them through non official channels is illegal, and they are supposedly non-transferable, so if the person who has them decides not to go, they cannot even give them away to a friend.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#23 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 10:48

aguahombre, on 2012-August-01, 10:42, said:

Explain your recommendation to the Bridge Kids in China.

To compare Olymic Games with bridge events where the weak teams have intenionally guaranteed a couple of matches in NON KO phase.....sorry but its......... apples and oranges.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#24 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-August-01, 10:59

Phil, on 2012-August-01, 10:34, said:

Sorry, there's nothing wrong with dumping a match if it gives you a better chance of winning the event, or improving your chances for a medal. Dump if you need to, and work on changing the format later. Jon Brissman once told me after I asked if dumping was OK, "would you sacrifice an early trick if it meant insuring your contract?".

Shame on the Chinese coach for saying their players were 'conserving energy'. The SOK coach was childish, but at least he didn't lie about the team's strategy.

Agree completely. The objective is to win the whole event, not a specific match. If the organizers set the conditions of contest so that it is advantageous for a team to lose a match, the organizers are to blame for the ugly result, not the competitors.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#25 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 11:02

I hope Jeff Rubens' doctor is readily available when he gets the Badminton scandal news...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#26 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-August-01, 11:04

PassedOut, on 2012-August-01, 10:59, said:

Agree completely. The objective is to win the whole event, not a specific match. If the organizers set the conditions of contest so that it is advantageous for a team to lose a match, the organizers are to blame for the ugly result, not the competitors.

Agree completely with this sentiment.

Clearly, this is a minority viewpoint. There was a discussion on Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio this morning about this controversy. The apparent conclusion was that, while there was some sympathy for the competitors in dumping a match to better their chances in the overall event, athletes are under a moral and ethical obligation to perform their best at all times. So dumping a match was unethical.

#27 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-August-01, 11:05

cherdano, on 2012-August-01, 11:02, said:

I hope Jeff Rubens' doctor is readily available when he gets the Badminton scandal news...

My first reaction was to think about the great debate over sportsmanlike dumping...
Alderaan delenda est

#28 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-01, 11:59

Aberlour10, on 2012-August-01, 10:48, said:

To compare Olymic Games with bridge events where the weak teams have intenionally guaranteed a couple of matches in NON KO phase.....sorry but its......... apples and oranges.

I agree. In one case you have a pair of competitors who have trained and earned the privelege of representing their country at the highest level ---and people of that country have supported that quest financially and morally. In the other case you have a pair of competitors who....oh, wait :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#29 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-01, 13:45

Disagree completely.

The bridge analogy is flawed, intentionally losing a trick to insure a contract is done as a percentage increase of your expected average on a board, it is nothing like intentionally losing an entire match.

Sports have ethics and one of the basic ethics is that you play to win.
The Olympics is the pinnacle of sports and should represent the pinnacle of their ethics.

What the badmiditten players did was a disgrace and they should be booted from the competition.

However, I agree this does show a flaw in the competitions format and the format should be revised to address it, but that is no excuse for the players.

#30 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:03

My take. Whether it is against the rules to dump a game in a tourney? Well, that is down to the rules of the tourney. Do not get confused with what the rules state and what you think that they should state. Either it was legit or it was not. End of.

That said, a tournament format that provides an incentive to dump is in my view a flawed format. Personally I don't think that the application of skill to duck a trick in order to win a contract is a close analogy.

That said, once it is clear that that there is an incentive to dump but that dumping is illegal, the only logical end result is that players will dump but do it more subtly. How does that further the interests of the sport?

I do wonder where it is all going to end. What about all those team cyclists or middle to long distance runners who hang back during a race to act as pacers with no personal realistic chance of success purely in order to give a compatiriot a psychological boost?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#31 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:10

According to the NYTimes what the players did *was* against the rules "Players’ Code of Conduct, Sections 4.5 and 4.6, for “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and “conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport.”" and so I must disagree with Phil and the others. One is to do everything to win within the rules--when the rules say (and I looked them up to quote more exactly) "Section 4.5 Failure to use best efforts: Blatantly and deliberately playing below his/her standard of strength." (section 4 is "inappropriate conduct").

So whether we agree with the tactic in theory, when it is specifically banned, it is no longer acceptable. So I find the players wholly at fault for the incident, no matter how badly people think the event is organized.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#32 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:12

In a related incident today, the Japanese world champion soccer team played one of the lowest ranked teams to a draw today. After the match the coach publicly admitted he did this to avoid the US and/or France in the next round. I do not know if this is allowed in the soccer rules.

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#33 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:19

BunnyGo, on 2012-August-01, 14:10, said:

According to the NYTimes what the players did *was* against the rules "Players' Code of Conduct, Sections 4.5 and 4.6, for "not using one's best efforts to win a match" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport."" and so I must disagree with Phil and the others. One is to do everything to win within the rules--when the rules say (and I looked them up to quote more exactly) "Section 4.5 Failure to use best efforts: Blatantly and deliberately playing below his/her standard of strength." (section 4 is "inappropriate conduct").

So whether we agree with the tactic in theory, when it is specifically banned, it is no longer acceptable. So I find the players wholly at fault for the incident, no matter how badly people think the event is organized.

I think it is open to debate whether "conducting oneself in a manner that is calculated to maximising your chances of a [gold/silver/bronze/any/delete as appropriate] medal" is in fact the same as "conducting oneself in a manner that ls clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport"

I am sort of interested to know whether the players' code of conduct is a general code that applies across all olympic events or whether it is customised according to the particular sport or event. I say "sort of interested" because I am not sufficiently interested to go look it up. But if it is a general rule that spans disciplines then lt opens up the question what is the definition of a "match". Because one interpretation is that it might be a series of transactions that ends in the award of a medal.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#34 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:27

ArtK78, on 2012-August-01, 11:04, said:

Agree completely with this sentiment.

Clearly, this is a minority viewpoint. There was a discussion on Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio this morning about this controversy. The apparent conclusion was that, while there was some sympathy for the competitors in dumping a match to better their chances in the overall event, athletes are under a moral and ethical obligation to perform their best at all times. So dumping a match was unethical.

BunnyGo, on 2012-August-01, 14:10, said:

According to the NYTimes what the players did *was* against the rules "Players' Code of Conduct, Sections 4.5 and 4.6, for "not using one's best efforts to win a match" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport."" and so I must disagree with Phil and the others. One is to do everything to win within the rules--when the rules say (and I looked them up to quote more exactly) "Section 4.5 Failure to use best efforts: Blatantly and deliberately playing below his/her standard of strength." (section 4 is "inappropriate conduct").

BunnyGo, on 2012-August-01, 14:12, said:

In a related incident today, the Japanese world champion soccer team played one of the lowest ranked teams to a draw today. After the match the coach publicly admitted he did this to avoid the US and/or France in the next round. I do not know if this is allowed in the soccer rules.

Was just jumping in to ask if something like playing your second stringers in a soccer match that doesn't matter violates the (spirit of the?) rules. What if the match matters but you are up 3 goals with 5 minutes to play?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#35 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:34

I don't think this is so, as a general principle. Each sport has its own code of ethics which has developed over the years. In basketball you can even foul intentionally, deliberately breaking the rules, and this can be regarded as good play. Whereas in cricket, there are people who are widely regarded as villains because they found unusual ways to win within the rules (bodyline, underarm etc).

I agree that the organizers should take some blame, but whether it is 10% or 90% or something in between, depends on the norms for that particular sport, not on any general principle.

#36 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:37

As long as the format is flawed, people will dump matches. The next ones just won't be so obvious about it.

#37 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:37

Everything I have read on the Badminton Federation's website indicates that the "not using one’s best efforts to win a match" appears to be an attempt to avoid throwing a match because people are gambling on it, and because of past bribes and payoffs, not because a team is trying to win a medal in the process. Honestly, I don't think the federation ever considered the ramifications of sportsmanlike dumping.

Furthermore, "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport" actually mean? There's a significant split in the blogosphere about whether or not what they did was OK, so what is so clear about this offense?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#38 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:47

As with all things Olympics, I think it may come down to the money, rather than the medals. The officials do not want to encourage behaviour that leaves paying customers dissatisfied. A cacofony of boos is not good for business.

#39 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:50

dwar0123, on 2012-August-01, 13:45, said:

Disagree completely.

The bridge analogy is flawed, intentionally losing a trick to insure a contract is done as a percentage increase of your expected average on a board, it is nothing like intentionally losing an entire match.

Now, just don't throw this one out there and not support it!

A bridge trick is to a bridge hand as a match is to a tournament. The former is a microcosm of the latter.

Let me turn this around a little. What if the Laws of Bridge said, "not using one's best efforts to win a match trick". Wouldn't we have a silly little game? No hold-ups, no Bath Coups, no rectifying the count.

Just win tricks as quickly as you can.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#40 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:53

1eyedjack, on 2012-August-01, 14:19, said:

I think it is open to debate whether "conducting oneself in a manner that is calculated to maximising your chances of a [gold/silver/bronze/any/delete as appropriate] medal" is in fact the same as "conducting oneself in a manner that ls clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport"

I am sort of interested to know whether the players' code of conduct is a general code that applies across all olympic events or whether it is customised according to the particular sport or event. I say "sort of interested" because I am not sufficiently interested to go look it up. But if it is a general rule that spans disciplines then lt opens up the question what is the definition of a "match". Because one interpretation is that it might be a series of transactions that ends in the award of a medal.

The one I found was badminton specific, but I do not know if there is a general one too. And I do not think there is a debate as to whether they violated 4.5 as the admitted they played below their best game on purpose.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users