Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The free cover Probably not important, but I'm curious

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-26, 00:25

Playing second to a trick, I'm often in the situation where RHO leads a spot card, and I have both the lower and the higher spot card. For instance, he leads a 9 and I have the T and the 8. Considering only the trick-taking potential, it's irrational not to cover in that position. However, it occurs to me that from an information standpoint, if I always cover, then if I don't cover, everyone will know I don't hold a "sandwich", and more importantly, whenever I follow an 8 with a 7, for instance, everyone knows I don't have the 9.
Ignoring signalling issues, is there any more to it than that? Is it correct to always cover "freely", or at least always up to a certain spot card?

#2 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 00:41

If the declarer has AKQ7 in hand and 9xx in dummy, I recommend you don't cover the nine with T8xx :)

Maybe you have specific examples, but I tend to think that you will cover with shortness and this won't give anything away because declarer will seldom have a choice of plays in the suit in those cases. With length, you don't cover unless it's obvious to do so.

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 04:24

Hmm, good point. So let's say dummy leads and I know nothing about declarer's hand.

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 04:49

Another classic example is when dummy has Jxxxx and leads the J. If you cover with QTx, declarer with AK9xx will pick the suit up; if you play low, declarer is unlikely to finesse.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 04:56

View Postgordontd, on 2012-July-26, 04:49, said:

Another classic example is when dummy has Jxxxx and leads the J. If you cover with QTx, declarer with AK9xx will pick the suit up; if you play low, declarer is unlikely to finesse.

Declarer with A9xx also gets a nice windfall.

#6 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 05:18

There are other times besides just blowing up a trick in the suit--say you really don't want to win the trick because you'll be endplayed if everyone ducks. Or maybe you want to force partner to win the trick for her own good--even if it costs a trick in this suit.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#7 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-28, 01:16

The only time I think it is truly free, and I always do it (although there might be a case where to keep the dangerous hand on lead I wouldn't do it) is when the 2nd hand is dummy and my choice is to play one of the touching cards, then I freely cover.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users