• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

bboskill

#141 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-23, 01:41

View Postquiddity, on 2012-July-20, 10:28, said:

You don't have the right to make suggestions about Fred's website? Crikey that's rough!

View Postthe hog, on 2012-July-20, 17:44, said:

No you don't. It is not yours. If you don't like it, don't play on it and play on another site that does have ratings.

Yes, Fred does have the right to do what he wants with his site. One of the things he has chosen to do is to give us the right to put forward suggestions.There is obviously no obligation to implement these, although I understand some do get implemented. Noone here has the right to restrict or remove this. If someone wants to suggest a rating system for the 13742nd time then they can, until such time as Fred (or someone operating under Fred's authority) says otherwise. I very much doubt that Fred would prefer users to play on another site rather than make the suggestion here (and thus hear the arguments as to why a rating system might not be such a good idea after all).

A suggestion is not the same as telling someone what to do. If I write a letter to The Times suggesting that America drop nukes on Syria then it is a suggestion unlikely to be implemented, but otherwise harmless. If I command Obama to send the nukes in, perhaps by using a new mind-control technology or by kidnapping his daughter... well, that is quite a different matter. Finally, @hog, it would be nice if you could argue your case without resorting to name calling and personal attacks. I find that to be generally inappropriate for these forums (call that a suggestion for the Forum Etiquette document if you like). I do understand that it is easy to slip when feeling that the person you are arguing with is being unreasonable. FWiiW I also find the reference to Mein Kampf unreasonable and join Antrax in being surprised that this set of posts was not removed.
(-: Zel :-)

#142 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-July-23, 04:22

Fred has continually said that he does not want a rating system. To have x numbers of people spamming these forums and often as a first post is ridiculous. References to "Mein Kampf" and book burning are not intelligent to say the least.
Further CYeti, based on some of the comments you have made in the past i don't think you have the right to take the moral ground on anything!
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#143 User is offline   pablo2110 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge online, Chess, Running, TV Series etc

Posted 2012-July-23, 06:54

About the Nazi references...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

By the way I think that a rating system will be good for BBO. I confess that make an intensive use of BBOSkill when the service was operative. Of course it could be better but with good results you roughly have better ranking.

I do not think that people will start cheating with their rankings. You want to play better, it is a nonsense have a super-expert ranking and the playing force of a beginner. In any case a few people toying with their ranking do not affect the usability of the service.

I, as a beginner+ or intermediate-, have, in the current situation probably more luck in entering in a higher level table than with the ranking system. But the motivational factor compensates.

#144 User is offline   advanced 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-23, 07:18

View Postthe hog, on 2012-July-23, 04:22, said:

Fred has continually said that he does not want a rating system. To have x numbers of people spamming these forums and often as a first post is ridiculous. References to "Mein Kampf" and book burning are not intelligent to say the least.
Further CYeti, based on some of the comments you have made in the past i don't think you have the right to take the moral ground on anything!

Ah, so you only have a right to write in the forum if you posted 8579 times (and have nothing better to do with your time than tell others what to do or what not to do). You are speaking for Fred, I assume he gave you authority to do this, can you also make payments in his name?
I don't give a crap what you think, your childish opinion is of no importance. Many people want a rating system, and you, little boy, don't want them to post this. Poor poor kid. So young and already beyond repair.

#145 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-July-23, 07:41

View Postmycroft, on 2012-July-20, 17:23, said:

I see "option to rate" becoming "no game if it's not rated" PDQ

I realise that your intention was to make an argument against rating systems, but this looks like an argument for them, or at least a piece of evidence that ratings are extremely popular.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#146 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-July-23, 07:57

View PostVampyr, on 2012-July-23, 07:41, said:

I realise that your intention was to make an argument against rating systems, but this looks like an argument for them, or at least a piece of evidence that ratings are extremely popular.

Right now there are no rating systems in place. As a result, people complain about the lack of rating systems.
Have no fear. If there were rating systems in effect, droves of people would be complaining about these.
Alderaan delenda est

#147 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-23, 09:36

I'm sorry, but I feel it's necessary to lock this thread. I'm not trying to censor criticism of BBO, but this has turned into almost nothing but a flame war and name calling. And even the polite posts are just repeating the same religious arguments about ratings we've had dozens of times before, so no new light has been shed.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users