• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 card Raise after T/O DBL

#21 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-10, 09:00

To show an invitational raise double then raising hearts makes sense - but what about a monster hand (with only three hearts), does that also have to redouble then raise hearts?

Incidentally I like rhm's suggestion here to just bid 4 on this hand, though the problem there is you're pretending to have a preemptive hand, and partner may then sacrifice or fail to double opponents if e.g. they get to 5.

#22 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-10, 10:11

I have a feeling from the replies that I should be playing TRANSFERS over a T/O DBL .

Looks like all that is given up is the little used ( I think ) natural 1NT bid.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 10:38

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-July-10, 10:11, said:

I have a feeling from the replies that I should be playing TRANSFERS over a T/O DBL .

Looks like all that is given up is the little used ( I think ) natural 1NT bid.

People have found a way to not give that up. 1SXX=6+ notrumpish or game-forcing single suiter. 1HXX=spade response; 1H (x) 1S=6+notrumpish or game-forcing single suiter (maybe even game forcing spade one-suiter).

Edit: Some people even use whatever "transfers" to NT with the 3-card balanced raise of the major as a possibility to be shown in the follow-up. We don't.

The transfer scheme over 1M (X) (Cappeletti, or whatever) allows us to use their double which took up no space to multiple advantage. The transfers keep the bidding alive if we want it to be; we still have "Jordan" for balanced l.r.+; and we can use jumps as invitational splinters. Also the transfer to opener's major can be distinguished in strength from the direct raise (one weaker, your choice which one).
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 12:47

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-July-09, 06:26, said:

Did the above two posts miss the part in the OP where he doesn't have our toys after 1MX?

The others were attempting to work in context of the conditions, even though we are not hamstrung by those conditions in our partnerships.

I wasnt answering how to bid the OP hand. I didnt even realise there was a hand.

Mine was just an idea about 3 card limit raises after they double our 1M.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 14:11

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-July-10, 10:38, said:

People have found a way to not give that up. 1SXX=6+ notrumpish or game-forcing single suiter. 1HXX=spade response; 1H (x) 1S=6+notrumpish or game-forcing single suiter (maybe even game forcing spade one-suiter).

Edit: Some people even use whatever "transfers" to NT with the 3-card balanced raise of the major as a possibility to be shown in the follow-up. We don't.

The transfer scheme over 1M (X) (Cappeletti, or whatever) allows us to use their double which took up no space to multiple advantage. The transfers keep the bidding alive if we want it to be; we still have "Jordan" for balanced l.r.+; and we can use jumps as invitational splinters. Also the transfer to opener's major can be distinguished in strength from the direct raise (one weaker, your choice which one).

Thx... I overlooked the RDBL.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#26 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2012-July-10, 18:48

I strongly encourage you to integrate xfers over a t/o double. They solve this hand elegantly.

Transfer into clubs via 1NT and then rebid pard's major. With the extra length in clubs, I'd take the 3 level bump to show the LR here. It's far more descriptive than a Jordan 2NT type raise, and then having to bid after LHO chimes in with 4H to preempt you.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users