• You cannot reply to this topic

NT really meant NT partner

#1 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2012-July-02, 10:53

Regional tournament. NS are experienced players, EW are club players.

2NT was alerted by East, and when asked he said that he doesn't really know but it might be both minors. With 3 he picked one (was not alerted). After 3NT by partner, he decided that it wasn't minors after all and passed.

A was led and the director was called when dummy was tabled.

In the continuing play, declarer miraculously led the Q from hand, King, Ace, Jack. Making 12. Now NS are VERY unhappy.

When asked why West didn't respond 3 over 3, she said that she didn't want to bid which opponents had bid. I asked (as TD) if 2 was alerted, she said yes but she doesn't understand all this Multi stuff and treated it as natural.

How do you decide?
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#2 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-02, 12:05

I don't think you can decide anything until you ascertain whether 3 would be Stayman in an analogous sequence.

#3 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 01:45

View PostGerben42, on 2012-July-02, 10:53, said:

When asked why West didn't respond 3 over 3, she said that she didn't want to bid which opponents had bid. I asked (as TD) if 2 was alerted, she said yes but she doesn't understand all this Multi stuff and treated it as natural.

3N is unauthorised panic.

As it's often difficult to know what you would think without the UI in curious situations, because it is hard to take the UI away, it seems appropriate to weight an average from the possibilities of what she might think.

So, if she didn't want to show her hearts and would, without the UI, have thought that 3C was
(1) Staymanic: she could have bid 3D. Whilst E will be confused, I think pass is a large possibility here, otherwise a return to 4C. There is some small possibility S might foolishly double 3D and they won't stand it, possibly even getting into 3N by a legal route.
(2) natural: passed or raised. She might even have raised to 5, as a weak players can get overexcited with 20 counts.

So I think I'd weight quite a large chunk of 3D (which probably only goes 1 off), a fair chunk of 3/4C, and a small amount of 5C and a very small amount of 3N (by a different route).

#4 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 03:30

View Postiviehoff, on 2012-July-03, 01:45, said:

3N is unauthorised panic.

UI doesn't prevent one from using AI and playing bridge, nor does it allow us to assume that anything that works must be UI-based.

Why can't West think: LHO has a six card major and I have a 20 count. Even allowing that Stayman, if that's what it is, will keep us out of the suit that may break 6-0, do we even want to be in the other suit, with potential ruffs lurking? Partner's 3 club call, whatever it may mean absent the alert and explanation, has to show something, that something likely to be some decent stuff in clubs (because I have the decent stuff in everything else) and this is probably the last chance we're getting to bid 3NT. Partner can correct to clubs if that seems appropriate.

Why does North need to know what 2NT is before passing with his minimum? What possible answer will convince him to try a vulnerable three-level call on his junk? Apparently "both minors" without any indication of strength didn't do it. I wonder what will.

"In the continuing play, declarer miraculously led the ♣Q from hand, King, Ace, Jack. Making 12. Now NS are VERY unhappy."

Maybe, but in the same manner as a football star trying to induce a penalty. 20 opposite 6, all suits well-stopped, don't you think most pairs will be in 3NT and make 12 tricks with the KC onside? But look at what happens now: the TD asks West some questions as N-S glare with arms folded...and we expect a pair who has no agreement about what is on over Multi to give coherent responses. I wonder if N-S feel that using Multi carries with it the right to lead opponents who know little about the convention into confusion by forcing explanations when no likely answer will affect your action, then reap the benefit by calling the TD after misdefending the hand for a normal result.

Score stands. E-W should get a later discussion about proper alerting procedures and what to say before the opening lead when partner's explanation doesn't match their agreements or lack of them. I suspect this N-S will demand it be done it now, in front of them, so they can express their displeasure once more through the rest of the round. If so, N-S get the lecture: on etiquette, asking questions when the answer will not affect your action, and how all this combines to destructive use of a convention.
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 04:06

I don't buy west's argument about multi, looks made up to avoid penalti, but being at the table might change my views.

There are LAs to 3NT so 3NT is ruled out. So I think iviehodd analysis is right, we have ot weight among those many possible contracts.

#6 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 04:38

I'm uneasy that smart players who say no agreement in this auction get their contract and seemingly poor players get confused and are adjusted against.

I guess in real life the TD will judge the situation.

#7 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 05:28

View PostAlexJonson, on 2012-July-03, 04:38, said:

I'm uneasy that smart players who say no agreement in this auction get their contract and seemingly poor players get confused and are adjusted against.

It is part of the learning process in bridge not to give daft answers to questions about what your bids mean, because it leads to a mess in which you can suffer badly at the hands of the TD.

But if E had said "don't know for sure" the nature of the UI is quite different, and the situation is completely different. When East said "the minors", the UI screeched "better not stay in clubs then, he might not have any, and 3D or 3H will be misunderstood" - the UI did indeed suggest 3N over other LAs, and so with other LAs present it is clearly an illegal bid. When East instead says "don't know for sure", the UI is quite different, it is no longer clear that the UI suggests bidding 3N over other LAs. Honesty is the best policy, and it isn't surprising that the honest answer is less damaging, once the TD's adjustment is taken into account.

#8 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 05:37

View PostMcBruce, on 2012-July-03, 03:30, said:

Why can't West think: LHO has a six card major and I have a 20 count. Even allowing that Stayman, if that's what it is, will keep us out of the suit that may break 6-0, do we even want to be in the other suit, with potential ruffs lurking? Partner's 3 club call, whatever it may mean absent the alert and explanation, has to show something, that something likely to be some decent stuff in clubs (because I have the decent stuff in everything else) and this is probably the last chance we're getting to bid 3NT. Partner can correct to clubs if that seems appropriate.

He can think all of this and more if there is no UI and can make any call he likes (within regualtions). As he has UI here, he has to consider other things as well. If 3NT is suggested, and there are LAs that are not suggested, and he bids 3NT, all the rationalising in the world will not stop the score being adjusted, assuming damage (I do note that rationlisation and reasoning can affect whether there are LAs).

Whatever you think of N/S's actions this shouldn't affect whether you adjust or not. If N/S are guilty of something, which i'm quite sceptical of at the moment, they would perhaps be liable for a procedural penalty, but that wouldn't change if we adjust or not I don't think. If they have broken no laws and no regulations, I think your lecture would be quite misplaced.

As for the alerting, I'm not sure on german regulations, but they would be correct to alert in the UK if they were not sure but intended to take it as artificial.

#9 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 06:05

View Postiviehoff, on 2012-July-03, 05:28, said:

But if E had said "don't know for sure" the nature of the UI is quite different, and the situation is completely different. When East said "the minors", the UI screeched "better not stay in clubs then, he might not have any, and 3D or 3H will be misunderstood" - the UI did indeed suggest 3N over other LAs, and so with other LAs present it is clearly an illegal bid. When East instead says "don't know for sure", the UI is quite different, it is no longer clear that the UI suggests bidding 3N over other LAs. Honesty is the best policy, and it isn't surprising that the honest answer is less damaging, once the TD's adjustment is taken into account.

OP: '2NT was alerted by East, and when asked he said that he doesn't really know but it might be both minors.'

#10 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 06:28

View PostAlexJonson, on 2012-July-03, 06:05, said:

OP: '2NT was alerted by East, and when asked he said that he doesn't really know but it might be both minors.'

Makes very little difference to what I said.

#11 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-July-03, 06:40

If West knew that 2NT was undiscussed and that it could be natural or it could be both minors, does he have any useful UI?

Is it possible that if the partnership understanding is that 2NT is natural or minors, then 3m in response is effectively pass or correct: pass with with both minors, rebid NT with NT hand?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 06:57

If so, N-S get the lecture: on ... asking questions when the answer will not affect your action

I hope this would lead to the director subsequently receiving a lecture from his boss about not making up the rules as he goes along.

North has a right to ask about the 2NT if he so chooses, provided that he isn't attempting to mislead, using it to communicate with his partner, or asking for his partner's benefit. It is perfectly legitimate for North to ask the meaning of 2NT simply because he wants to follow the auction. Routinely asking about alerted bids is also a good way to avoid transmitting UI, whereas asking only when you are considering action is an excellent way to create UI.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-July-03, 07:02

View PostRMB1, on 2012-July-03, 06:40, said:

If West knew that 2NT was undiscussed and that it could be natural or it could be both minors, does he have any useful UI?

Is it possible that if the partnership understanding is that 2NT is natural or minors, then 3m in response is effectively pass or correct: pass with with both minors, rebid NT with NT hand?

I agree with the principle, but I think it's pass with both minors, respond to Stayman with the notrump hand.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-July-03, 08:25

View PostGerben42, on 2012-July-02, 10:53, said:

The trouble with this statement is that you know it is untrue. It is a pity that people decide to lie, but sometimes it is just too clear that they are and they must be dealt with accoredingly.

If an opponent has shown hearts, and you have four hearts and not four spades, and partner bids 3 [or 2] which is Stayman, do you respond in hearts? The answer is sometimes: I have done so, I have decided not to do so, the same applies to my partners, and to my opponents.

But if anyone does not show hearts in my experience, whether me, my partner or my opponents, they deny it by bidding 3 [or 2]. Anyone who gives that as a reason for bidding 3NT over 3 is lying: it is pure unauthorised panic, and a small PP might be a good idea to teach them not to cheat in future.

Did I say cheat? Well, it is only cheating if a player deliberately, knowledgeably and for his own benefit does something unethical. A player who responds 3NT to 3 and lies about the reason has done so deliberately, has done so knowledgeably, and has done so for his own benefit.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-03, 09:02

I generally have a hard time calling something "cheating" if the player is likely to be ignorant of their obligations, as I presume most weak players are regarding UI issues.

#16 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2012-July-03, 10:23

UI doesn't prevent one from using AI and playing bridge, nor does it allow us to assume that anything that works must be UI-based.

Why does North need to know what 2NT is before passing with his minimum? What possible answer will convince him to try a vulnerable three-level call on his junk? Apparently "both minors" without any indication of strength didn't do it. I wonder what will.

At the table, it seemed very likely to me that North felt East was uncertain that 2NT was indeed natural and tried to score by asking. EW seemed rather clueless of the situation, also made clear by the fact that West has a 20-count for a bid that tends to show 15 - 18 (maybe 19).

"In the continuing play, declarer miraculously led the ♣Q from hand, King, Ace, Jack. Making 12. Now NS are VERY unhappy."

Maybe, but in the same manner as a football star trying to induce a penalty. 20 opposite 6, all suits well-stopped, don't you think most pairs will be in 3NT and make 12 tricks with the KC onside?

With AT9xxxx vs Qxx, you can either lead low to the 10 always avoiding two losers (recommended playing 3NT in a team game on a / lead), or play the Ace to drop the singleton King on either side to maximize your chances of no loser (also MP best play). Leading the Queen is a weird play as you haven't gained anything dropping a singleton Jack onside.

But look at what happens now: the TD asks West some questions as N-S glare with arms folded...and we expect a pair who has no agreement about what is on over Multi to give coherent responses. I wonder if N-S feel that using Multi carries with it the right to lead opponents who know little about the convention into confusion by forcing explanations when no likely answer will affect your action, then reap the benefit by calling the TD after misdefending the hand for a normal result.

Score stands. E-W should get a later discussion about proper alerting procedures and what to say before the opening lead when partner's explanation doesn't match their agreements or lack of them. I suspect this N-S will demand it be done it now, in front of them, so they can express their displeasure once more through the rest of the round. If so, N-S get the lecture: on etiquette, asking questions when the answer will not affect your action, and how all this combines to destructive use of a convention.

@Barry:

I generally have a hard time calling something "cheating" if the player is likely to be ignorant of their obligations, as I presume most weak players are regarding UI issues.

This EW pair was ignorant of their obligations and ignorant about the implications of Multi (and doesn't want to know about such complicated stuff).
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#17 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 14:54

View PostRMB1, on 2012-July-03, 06:40, said:

View Postgnasher, on 2012-July-03, 07:02, said:

I agree with the principle, but I think it's pass with both minors, respond to Stayman with the notrump hand.

Two good observations. It seems to me that from East's explanation and his 3 bid that he did not really believe West to hold both minors. On this basis, if West had responded to Stayman with 3,East would probably have ceased to believe that partner could hold both minors and would have continued with 3NT. West, not holding 4 spades, would pass this.

#18 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 18:46

View PostGerben42, on 2012-July-03, 10:23, said:

This EW pair was ignorant of their obligations and ignorant about the implications of Multi (and doesn't want to know about such complicated stuff).

This will make it difficult for them to fulfil their ethical obligations. It does not mean that the obligations are mitigated.

View Postbarmar, on 2012-July-03, 09:02, said:

Calling it by its name is likely to be a more effective deterrent than making excuses.

View PostAlexJonson, on 2012-July-03, 04:38, said:

I guess in real life the TD will judge the situation.

I am not sure I have much sympathy in this instance, but I am uneasy with the principle that saying "no agreement" is unlikely to result in an adverse ruling, but making a genuine but flawed attempt at better disclosure is much more hazardous.

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-July-03, 23:31

View Postc_corgi, on 2012-July-03, 18:46, said:

I am not sure I have much sympathy in this instance, but I am uneasy with the principle that saying "no agreement" is unlikely to result in an adverse ruling, but making a genuine but flawed attempt at better disclosure is much more hazardous.

Yes, I think that it is important to remember that people who tell their guesses are mainly trying to be helpful, even though in fact, of course they do more harm than good.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-04, 12:06

View Postc_corgi, on 2012-July-03, 18:46, said:

Calling it by its name is likely to be a more effective deterrent than making excuses.

Cheating is a very serious accusation in the bridge world, analogous to calling someone a murderer or rapist in the real world. I don't think it should be thrown around casually, it should be used for players who are knowingly using covert methods to gain an advantage (e.g. the Reese-Shapiro finger signals).

Players who take advantage of normal types of UI are violating the Laws, but unless they have specific agreements to do so (e.g. "if I use the STOP card, it's a weak jump, otherwise it's strong") I don't think it usually rises to the level I would call cheating.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users