Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot choice 2/1 or Sayc

#1 User is offline   M Snerd 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-August-09, 20:15

Personally, I would never play 2/1 .. but to play with the robots here, I am in a system that is so, well, unloved by me. Since you folks have so thoroughly analysed sayc, you must have a robot around that bids it very well, with play similar to GIB.... THAT is who I want for a partner ... can I have her please !! ?? Love to play with her against 2/1 ... Oh, well ...

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-10, 14:04

Most of GIB development has been working on debugging GIB's default card, "Standard with gadgets", which includes 2/1. So there *isn't* a GIB that bids SAYC particularly well.

What is it that you don't like about 2/1? Arguably 2/1 is a lot easier to deal with than SAYC on the actual 2/1 sequences. SAYC just is an illogically constructed system, it is having 2/1 requiring a rebid, while at the same time saying that 1S-2d-2nt shows a "minimum 13-16", which is logically incompatible. It's also probably more difficult to program a computer to do SA well since one has to temporize with "fake" new suits fairly often, more often than is necessary in 2/1.

There are a few gadgets that are not inherent to 2/1 that GIB plays, that aren't part of SAYC. Like inverted minors, Lebensohl, Texas transfers, Smolen, new minor forcing, roman key card blackwood. But these are mostly fairly useful conventions that it's worth learning them anyway.

Human advanced/experts in the U.S. almost universally prefer 2/1 to SAYC, so it's a good idea to learn it in any case, to allow you to get better partners, or at least to understand opponent bidding.

#3 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-11, 12:02

View PostM Snerd, on 2012-August-09, 20:15, said:

Personally, I would never play 2/1 .. but to play with the robots here, I am in a system that is so, well, unloved by me. Since you folks have so thoroughly analysed sayc, you must have a robot around that bids it very well, with play similar to GIB.... THAT is who I want for a partner ... can I have her please !! ?? Love to play with her against 2/1 ... Oh, well ...

you can buy the commercial version of GIB for $69 US, it allows you pick certain systems and conventions that you want to play and then you can practice that way, you can still load .lin files or .pbn files from BBO

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users