Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inverted Support Doubles? reversing pass and X playing baby NT and supp X's

#1 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-05, 11:35

Playing baby NT (or variable, but baby at least in 1st and 2nd), what do you think about reversing the meanings of pass and X, when playing support doubles? This would mean you'd be doubling on the hands with no fit (the ones partner is most likely to want to convert, if any), and also it would put some pressure on LHO on the hands he didn't want converted, as he wouldn't have the free pass he currently has over a supp double. Opener isn't going to have a weak NT, so responder won't need to worry about that. Seems like a gain to me, but some friends think I'm even nuttier than usual (and that's a high bar).
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-July-05, 11:59

The obvious problem with reversing the meaning of double and pass in a support double situation is that the double commits your side to taking another call except in those rare instances when you want to penalize the opps. I admit that the chances that you do want to penalize the opps goes up when you have no fit and you are guaranteeing some values (such as when you open 1 of a minor in a weak NT situation), but that doesn't mean that you give up on the opportunity to penalize the opps by passing. Partner is still there and he can double. Perhaps it is you who has the penalty pass of their overcall - after all, you don't have a fit for partner.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users