BBO Discussion Forums: Bid this strong hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid this strong hand

Poll: What do you bid now? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you bid now?

1. Pass (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

2. Double (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 4 Spades (7 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

4. Other (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2004-November-17, 11:15

Scoring: MP

You open 2= game force, LHO overcalls 2, partner passes, RHO bids 3. Over to you.

Would 4 be showing an ace or void and double a singleton? If partner responds 4 to your pass or double or 5 to your 4, what action do you now take?
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#2 User is offline   junyi_zhu 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-17, 12:08

Wackojack, on Nov 17 2004, 05:15 PM, said:

[ONEHAND=South,None,MP,,AQJ86,AKQ106,AQ8]

You open 2= game force, LHO overcalls 2, partner passes, RHO bids 3. Over to you.

Would 4 be showing an ace or void and double a singleton? If partner responds 4 to your pass or double or 5 to your 4, what action do you now take?

It depends on your partnership agreement. If you play pass to show either weak or penalty oriented hands, you should probably bid 4D to show H+D.
With D one suiter, you can either double 3S or bid 5D yourself if you don't want to
defence. 4S can be too high facing a broken partner. Double is also bad with a void.

#3 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-November-17, 12:39

i bid 4s... don't know what it shows, it just asks partner to bid... if he bids 5h, i raise to 6
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#4 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-17, 13:19

Similar to Junyi I'd like to know what the initial pass shows. If it shows values, I'm forcing to 6 of a red suit; expecting to find at least one useful king, and exploring for 7 at the same time. If pass shows a minimum, I'll subside in 5 if necessary.
"Phil" on BBO

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-November-17, 14:12

This hand looks very familiar. When I held it, or one like it, I bid 4 with the clever plan of carrying on to 5 over their possible 4 sacrafice. If this is the hand, what happened to me was that when LHO bid 4, my partner bid 5. How could I, given parnters raise to five, not bid 6? Sadly on 11 tricks.

Upon reflection, 4 wasn't horrible, but a forcing pass here or a creative 4NT (pick a suit), where I pull 5 to 5 seems about right. If partner has a little something after this we get to 6, and if not, we should be in five of our best fit.

So if not playing Misho's meta overcalls (where I can bid 4 here to show red two suiter), I am leaning heavily towards 4NT over 3, certainly this has to be better than 4 at least. But in the real world, I actually bid 4.

Ben
--Ben--

#6 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2004-November-17, 15:06

4H looks normal to me. I dont see why i would bid 4N when i might be able to play 4H or 4S X. Ben i think you made the right call at the table and are resulting yourself. As for the passers why is this forcing? nothing in the initial post indicated that partners pass of 2S showed anything. he can just have a yarb and u can just have 22 balanced and defend 3S.

#7 User is offline   PriorKnowledge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-17, 15:44

4H is OK, but I like pass better.
Pass is forcing. After opening 2C, your side is commited to game or dbl of opps.

4S bypasses 4H, so pass is better.

My question is: What does responder's original pass show? If you don't have an agreement, you should. Some play that dbl is weak and pass shows more. Others play it the other way around.

#8 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-17, 16:50

I voted for 4S. If 4NT is on the list, I would vote for it. I didn't want to vote for "Other", because it is too broad.
Senshu

#9 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2004-November-17, 16:54

PriorKnowledge, on Nov 17 2004, 04:44 PM, said:

Pass is forcing. After opening 2C, your side is commited to game or dbl of opps.

this is definitely NOT standard. If it goes 2C p 2D p 2N that is forcing?

#10 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-November-17, 16:58

Jlall, on Nov 18 2004, 08:54 AM, said:

PriorKnowledge, on Nov 17 2004, 04:44 PM, said:

this is definitely NOT standard. If it goes 2C p 2D p 2N that is forcing?

Perhaps not standard, but this is certainly a sensible agreement to have if your 2C openings are normal.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#11 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2004-November-17, 19:06

doesnt seem sensible either if partners pass did not show values.

#12 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2004-November-18, 06:17

Scoring: MP

Thanks for the opinions. Bidding: 2-2-p-3, ?. We play:
Pass after intervention over 2 = 0-4HCP
222NT = 23-24HCP

I like Luke Warm's simple approach to bid 4 and then 6 over partner's 5. Even opposite xxxx slam looks a reasonable prospect. However, it would have been better had the contract been right sided.

The downside of bidding 4 of a suit is that partner would expect a single suited hand of at least 6 cards so would not correct.

At the table I doubled (no one voted for this) although I see the danger of partner passing as minimal and if he does it may well give us the only plus score say QJ10xx, xx,xx,xxxx. After the double partner bid 4 and 12 tricks rolled in after a spade lead. I think after this I should have bid 5 or possibly bashed 6. Anothe thing in favour of double is that if partner has diamonds it does give him the choice of bidding 4 or 5 according to distribution. Over 5 I would go 6.

Pass seems to have the same benefits as a double but without the downside of a possible penalty pass from partner. But wouldn't partner think that I had a balanced 23-24 and pass with a balanced yarb?

inquiry Posted on Nov 17 2004, 03:12 PM
This hand looks very familiar. When I held it, or one like it, I bid 4♥ with the clever plan of carrying on to 5♦ over their possible 4♠ sacrafice. If this is the hand, what happened to me was that when LHO bid 4♠, my partner bid 5♥. How could I, given parnters raise to five, not bid 6? Sadly on 11 tricks.
Upon reflection, 4♥ wasn't horrible, but a forcing pass here or a creative 4NT (pick a suit), where I pull 5♣ to 5♦ seems about right. If partner has a little something after this we get to 6, and if not, we should be in five of our best fit.

Sorry the quote is not boxed. Difficult to see how a slam would fail if partner voluntarily bids 5 ove 4. Also if 4NT is pick a suit, how is this different from 4?
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users