Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Drop the Queen ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-01, 13:54

I know that it is said that with 9 in a suit you play to drop a missing Queen holding the Ace and King.

I also know that missing 4 cards in the suit that they are more likely to be 3-1 rather than 2-2.

Can someone explain the math on playing for the drop.

Thank you

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-01, 14:01

First of all, it is very close whether to finesse or play for the drop.

As for the maths, to deal with round numbers, a 2-2 break is 40% while a 3-1 break either way is 50%. However, the key point is that the 3-1 is either way. Once LHO follows to the second round, he can no longer have started with 1 so the appropriate odds are 40:25 for drop/finesse. Yes, you can add 12% to either option for stiff Q.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-01, 14:58

View Postmanudude03, on 2012-July-01, 14:01, said:

First of all, it is very close whether to finesse or play for the drop.

As for the maths, to deal with round numbers, a 2-2 break is 40% while a 3-1 break either way is 50%. However, the key point is that the 3-1 is either way. Once LHO follows to the second round, he can no longer have started with 1 so the appropriate odds are 40:25 for drop/finesse. Yes, you can add 12% to either option for stiff Q.

This is not quite right and the odds are not nearly so far.

Originally there were six possible 2-2 breaks (four choose two is six) and eight possible 3-1 breaks (four singletons, and the singleton can be on either side). 2-2 break is 40.7% and 3-1 break is 49.7%, so if we divide we get that each particular 2-2 break is 40.7/6 = 6.78% and each particular 3-1 break is 49.7/8 = 6.21%. Now that we have seen three cards at the point where we make the decision, only a single 2-2 break remains possible (queen in the fourth hand) and only a single 3-1 break remains possible (queen in the second hand). Thus the odds favor the drop by 6.78:6.21 which is just a little better than even odds.

If you know something else about the hand (for example, regarding distribution in the other suits) it can easily swing things in favor of taking the finesse.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-July-01, 15:15

View Postdickiegera, on 2012-July-01, 13:54, said:

I know that it is said that with 9 in a suit you play to drop a missing Queen holding the Ace and King.

I also know that missing 4 cards in the suit that they are more likely to be 3-1 rather than 2-2.

Thank you

Without worrying about the exact numbers, you reconcile the apparent contraction by noticing that although they are more likely to be 3-1 either way round than 2-2, when LHO follows to the second round, he can't have a singleton so you are now comparing 3-1 with length on one particular side, with 2-2. The former is less likely.

#5 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-01, 15:16

I like the vacant spaces approach. When opponent A showed two of the small cards and B showed one, A has eleven spaces and B has twelve, so play to drop the queen from B.

As has been Implied if you know anything about the distribution of another suit, you can adjust the 11:12 spaces and decide.

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-01, 15:31

Thank you

a specific 3-1 is less likely than a specific 2-2. For instance, West having 3 and East having 1 might be 25 %, 2-2 might be 40 %, and thus east having 3 and west having 1 is also 25 %.

Here, you would be playing for 1 person specifically to have 3 which would be less likely than that player having 2 given those numbers.

#7 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-01, 16:56

awm nailed it, but his explanation is a tad overdone. The key is the fact that when the suit divides Qxx - x , the Queen will be tripleton 37.3% Just because you find out that one opponent has 2 Diamonds, the 2-2 break is STILL 40.7% (this is all 'a priori'). So the Drop is the slight favorite, but other factors of the hand can override that, like knowing that RHO has 3+ more cards accounted for.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#8 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-01, 17:16

Thank you

With no inferences, the Bridge Encyclopedia states that " the finesse is a 50% probability of success holding 8 cards, while the drop has a 53% holding 9 cards ".
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#9 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-July-01, 17:25

The odds still favour the drop if you start with the high card on the 2nd round. The crucial factor is that the Queen is a significant card, so the 3-1 splits with a stiff Q have been eliminated (as well as, obviously, the 4-0 splits). On the other hand, if you had all the top cards, after 1 round of the suit it would still be more likely to split 3-1, as only the 4-0 splits have been eliminated - nothing can be eliminated from the specific cards played by opps, as they were effectively played at random.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-01, 20:30

You can also look at it from free space perspective:
Once you played 2 round and the opponent follows low, the Q is the only missing card. The opponent that already played low card has 1 space less than the opponent that did not play to hold that card. The difference in % is so small though that if you have any indication about the Q from bidding or play you should finesse.
Posted ImageYu
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#11 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-July-01, 22:30

But beware of occupying spaces in opponents' hands when you shouldn't. For example, you have AQxx in a suit opposite Kxx. When you have played 2 rounds in the suit, free spaces suggest it is now more likely to split 3-3 than 4-2. But that is not the case. You have eliminated 6-0 and 5-1 splits, and that's it. It's still more likely to be breaking 4-2, absent other information. You can read nothing more into the fact that opps have followed to 2 rounds. On every 4-2 split they would have done that anyway, and you have eliminated none of them.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users