BBO Discussion Forums: Which finesse to take and which way? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Which finesse to take and which way?

#1 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-June-28, 12:38

I had this hand a few months ago in a typical adv/exp BBO IMP game. I'm South and declaring 4 after PD's unfortunate choice of Stayman in this uncontested 1NT auction. N/B players..what's the best way to play this after a low lead?

Adv and above please wait a day or two before responding or hide answers.

#2 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-28, 13:06

I am not advanced, but I will hide my answer anyway.

Spoiler

Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#3 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-June-29, 13:13

kuhchung quickly got this "textbook" hand correct and the many available finesse options didn't fool him. When I played this hand on BBO, my "expert" partner call me a moron and left when I didn't finesse in trumps but when they split 3-2 I had no issues as long as the player with the queen couldn't ruff in and exit in the other black suit.

This type of endplay, while more likely an intermediate concept, occurs quite often when there's a trump honor missing and you can't drop it. The idea is to force the opps to lead the suit you don't want to break, either so you avoid a guess or so they must give you a ruff and a sluff, whereby you gain an extra trump trick and dispose of a loser.

Often you have to ruff in one hand to strip a suit from both hands or through a loser on a winner, or even a loser on a loser.

Lets say that the combined hands were changed to remove all finessing options in both red suits. Then the hand should be played the same way and if trumps split 3-2 you still make due to the end play once the black suits are stripped assuming the Q can't ruff in time with an exit card.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users