Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead from 3 small

#1 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-27, 16:22

You are the opening leader vs. a suit contract. Partner has bid a suit which you have not supported. From three small in his suit, which is the standard lead? Does is make a difference if the three small are 982?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-June-27, 16:35

Small, but I swear every club player on the planet will lead top here.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-June-27, 16:59

Standard in Germany is that one of the very first things you agree on in a pickup partnership is rudimentary leads, generally either "2/4" or "3/5". If you agreed the former, then you lead the middle card, and if you agreed the latter, you lead the low card. Some of the people who agree "3/5" will lead the 9 from 982, I wouldn't but then I am firmly on the "2/4" side.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-27, 17:06

Addendum: the above interpretation of "2/4" probably varies by region. While I play exactly what people in Germany would expect if I were to write "2nd/4th" on my convention card, I don't in fact write this on my convention card because the WBF's booklet on how to complete the convention card explicitly says not to write "2nd/4th" when playing as I (and everyone else in Germany except those playing 3rd/5th) do. This of course leads to people asking me "huh, what are your leads" and me answering "2nd/4th", but I digress.

Also note that my contributions to this thread gloss over the fact that there are also nonserious bridge players, sometimes referred to as LOLs.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-27, 17:08

What you lead from 3 small is a matter of agreement, I don't think there's a widespread concensus, and I don't think it matters if it's the suit partner has bid. There may be standards in particular areas, but nothing close to universal.

However, if you HAVE supported him, then I think it's pretty standard that you lead top of nothing and low from an honor. In this case, partner won't be confused into trying to give you a ruff, since he knows you have at least 3.

#6 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-27, 17:15

Small, it's super important for partner to know who is ruffing the third round.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#7 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-June-27, 17:38

leading small is standard in all the books I have ever seen. Again pard bid the suit and we did not support.

I am rather surprised there is not some worldwide consensus here excluding rare "special" agreements.

#8 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-June-27, 21:47

Middle, intending to waste the highest on the next round. Small looks like you have an honour, and highest will look like a doubleton.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-June-27, 22:35

View Postbarmar, on 2012-June-27, 17:08, said:

What you lead from 3 small is a matter of agreement, I don't think there's a widespread concensus, and I don't think it matters if it's the suit partner has bid. There may be standards in particular areas, but nothing close to universal.

However, if you HAVE supported him, then I think it's pretty standard that you lead top of nothing and low from an honor. In this case, partner won't be confused into trying to give you a ruff, since he knows you have at least 3.

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-June-27, 17:15, said:

View Postmike777, on 2012-June-27, 17:38, said:

leading small is standard in all the books I have ever seen. Again pard bid the suit and we did not support.

I am rather surprised there is not some worldwide consensus here excluding rare "special" agreements.

View PostStatto, on 2012-June-27, 21:47, said:

Middle, intending to waste the highest on the next round. Small looks like you have an honour, and highest will look like a doubleton.

Hm. "No consensus" seems to be the consensus. ;)

Like Justin and Mike, I would have led small. Partner, however, was on a different wavelength. She led the nine. I played the jack (queen on the board), and declarer the seven. So I led the King. Declarer ruffed. :( Later, I asked her why she led the nine. "I didn't want you to think I had an honor," she said. <_<
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-June-27, 22:41

it would be nice if someone could quote some standard accepted textbook in their home country that says otherwise too leading small.

These answers shock me.

#11 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-June-27, 23:00

View Postmike777, on 2012-June-27, 22:41, said:

it would be nice if someone could quote some standard accepted textbook in their home country that says otherwise too leading small.

Bernard Magee said:

Middle Up Down, from three small cards.

To differentiate between a doubleton and tripleton, it is important to play your highest card on the second round.
http://www.mrbridge....ing_Leads_1.pdf

Eddie Kantar said:

8. With three or four small, lead low if you have NOT supported; lead high if you have.
http://www.kantarbri...m/tips_lead.htm

So no clear consensus there either.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-June-27, 23:10

View PostStatto, on 2012-June-27, 23:00, said:

you misquoted rather badly here is the quote:
With three or four small, lead low if you have NOT supported

http://www.kantarbri...m/tips_lead.htm

granted there may be some non usa book out there but would love to see the quote and the logic behind it.

my only point is I am really surprised there is not some general, worldwide consensus here.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 02:53

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-June-27, 16:59, said:

Standard in Germany is that one of the very first things you agree on in a pickup partnership is rudimentary leads, generally either "2/4" or "3/5". If you agreed the former, then you lead the middle card, and if you agreed the latter, you lead the low card. Some of the people who agree "3/5" will lead the 9 from 982, I wouldn't but then I am firmly on the "2/4" side.

I thought standard in Germany was 3rd from xxx in partner's suit whether you play 4th highest or not. That is certainly what every article in the BM has suggested. My opinion is that count is so much more important than attitude here that anything other than the opposite of your doubleton lead (low if you lead top of a doubleton, high if you lead low from a doubleton) is somewhat unsound.

View PostStatto, on 2012-June-27, 21:47, said:

This is sometimes a benefit of leading small in partner's suit from both Hxx and xxx. While it is nice for partner to know whether you have an honour, it is often even more important for declarer. Meanwhile partner is left completely in the dark with respect to the count in the suit. I really dislike MUD in partner's suit. This is much worse than MUD in unbid suits, not that it is that great even there.
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 04:02

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-June-28, 02:53, said:

I thought standard in Germany was 3rd from xxx in partner's suit whether you play 4th highest or not. That is certainly what every article in the BM has suggested. My opinion is that count is so much more important than attitude here that anything other than the opposite of your doubleton lead (low if you lead top of a doubleton, high if you lead low from a doubleton) is somewhat unsound.

As you see on the German Mini Convention Card, you can check either "2/4" or "4th". This is one of the differences. Also, the BM is written for the aforementioned LOLs. ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-28, 08:44

Mike Lawrence's "Opening Leads" book says to lead low.

#16 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-June-28, 09:09

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-June-27, 17:15, said:

YES

#17 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 10:11

I thought is WAS standard to lead small in a suit bid by partner but not supported. If not bid, I lead high to show no interest, supported I lead high to show no honour. But bid and unsupported - low every time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users