Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding

#1 User is offline   mcflog 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-June-30, 13:19

Please indicate best bid here, or if choice of bids, best, 2nd best, etc. Thanks all for your patience.
There are at least 3 choices here in my opinion. 3H, 3S, and 4c. I chose 3H and was raised to 4H by pickup partner. The game was matchpoints and I didnt want to bypass 3nt. I thought 3 spades was misdescriptive, and did not bid 4c for fear of missing 3nt. Please indicate what and why you think it is best. It is South's turn to bid over 3D. It is also clear that 6C is best contract. How to get there is another question. This hand was played 43 times on okbridge with the following results: 6C arrived at 5 times
6D arrived at 1 time
3NT " at 25 times, making 7times, failing18 times
5C " at 5 times, making 6
5D " at 1 time making 6 because of doubleton 10D
other 6 times were partials in 3C or 3D.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-30, 13:36

Welcome to the forums, mcflog!

The diagram appears fine, but your question isn't very clear. Who is dealer? Whose bids are you asking about? What bidding system is in use?

#3 User is offline   mcflog 

• Pip

Posted 2012-June-30, 13:44

View Postbarmar, on 2012-June-30, 13:36, said:

Welcome to the forums, mcflog!

The diagram appears fine, but your question isn't very clear. Who is dealer? Whose bids are you asking about? What bidding system is in use?

#4 User is offline   mcflog 

• Pip

Posted 2012-June-30, 14:10

This is yet another attempt to seek help regarding the best bid or choice of bids. Please indicate what South should bid at his 2nd turn.
North is the dealer and the bidding is shown hopefully in the diagram. 4 attempts to get this right.

Bill McKenna
There are 4 possible bids here.<br>I chose 3H for a flexible call, which is understood to be forcing in most partnerships. With a pickup partner I got raised to 4H and was not amused. I thought 3S was misdescriptive and didnt want to bid 3nt myself, nor bid 4C which bypasses 3nt. Game was matchpoints.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-30, 15:14

Welcome again, mcflog. I fixed up your first post, and merged your two threads together.

I think the problem was caused by North's rebid. 2 would have been better, I think. You would then be able to bid 2 as Fouth Suit Forcing. He would most likely bid 2NT, and then it's up to you whether you choose to bid 3NT or 3. Since you have a minimum for your game force, and misfits in all the side suits, slam seems remote so I think most would choose 3NT with your hand. it looks to me like it makes if spades are 4-4 or they don't get off to a spade lead (although I can't imagine any other lead on this auction). Also, if East is on lead, he either has to lead the Q or unblock it when West returns the suit.

#6 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-30, 15:43

I don't mind the 3 rebid, though 2 might be better. North should probably bid 3NT over 3 because of the trick source, two entries, and the spades are well on the way to being a double stop. But I definitely prefer 3NT to 3 with South - partner's values have to be somewhere.

#7 User is offline   mcflog 

• Pip

Posted 2012-June-30, 15:54

Thanks for your input. Also, thx for help in the logistics department. I've always had issues on auctions of this nature. Is there, in your opinion, a minimum South must have as a 5+ card suit or better. Does my holding qualify? How else can you get to a 5-2, 5-3 fit if you don't bid 3H. 3H IMO, is the most flexible rebid that I can make in an effort to get to the best game.

#8 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-01, 14:29

It's an awkward situation. There will be hands where the best choice is to bid 3 with a five card suit, but I would try to avoid that if you can. Partner should also try to avoid rebidding 3 with three card support.

#9 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-01, 14:58

north has alot of options over 1h, I prefer 2c so maybe?

1d=1h
2c=2s
3d-4c(slam try)
4D(RKC IN C)=ETC TO 6C

jUMP REBIDS in a minor can be quite wide ranging so if I can have another reasonable option I try and take it as here with 2c rather than 3d as jump rebid.

given OP I can understand a 3nt now over 3d by south.

#10 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-03, 03:54

I'd be in 3NT going down. 6 looks like a lucky make,

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users