Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Minor raise over Michaels

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-12, 09:29

I think these Norths need to re-examine their hands...

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-June-12, 12:32

At the first table... if 2 is "limit raise or better", and North is an unpassed hand, shouldn't the total points be 10+ rather than 10-12?

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-12, 13:37

The book bid in both cases is the competitive raise. However, since we're promising 4-card support with this bid, the rule for raising with only 3 requires a simulation before it can be chosen.

In the first auction, in my 11 simulation runs, I got 8 Passes, 2 3, and 1 2. Then, for some reason when it was simulating what to do over 2NT, Pass wasn't even one of the options it considered. It was choosing between 3, 3 (the book bid), and 3NT. On most hands, it didn't matter which it bid, it ended up in 3NT (since it gave South 15-17 HCP, and North had "promised" 10+, so South will always bid game); there was one hand where it mattered, and 3NT went down the least, so that was the choice it went with.

In the second auction, I got 8 3, 2 Passes, and 1 2. North's length in the majors makes it more likely that South has 5+ , and almost certain that it's at least 4. The quality of the support is probably what swung the sims in the direction of raising, rather than 2 as in the first auction.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-June-12, 14:30

View Postbarmar, on 2012-June-12, 13:37, said:

The book bid in both cases is the competitive raise. However, since we're promising 4-card support with this bid, the rule for raising with only 3 requires a simulation before it can be chosen.
GIB should not be allowed the possibility of raising on 3-card support if partner might also only have three.

In the first auction, in my 11 simulation runs, I got 8 Passes, 2 3, and 1 2.
So, simulations allow for making a bid that shows 3-5 total points more than GIB actually has? I think this is bad.

Then, for some reason when it was simulating what to do over 2NT, Pass wasn't even one of the options it considered. It was choosing between 3, 3 (the book bid), and 3NT. On most hands, it didn't matter which it bid, it ended up in 3NT (since it gave South 15-17 HCP, and North had "promised" 10+, so South will always bid game); there was one hand where it mattered, and 3NT went down the least, so that was the choice it went with.
Why does 2NT show 15-17 instead of 12-14?

In the second auction, I got 8 3, 2 Passes, and 1 2. North's length in the majors makes it more likely that South has 5+ , and almost certain that it's at least 4. The quality of the support is probably what swung the sims in the direction of raising, rather than 2 as in the first auction.
I don't understand your differentiation of "raising, rather than 2 as in the first auction". 2 in the first auction is raising partner's opening minor.

#5 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-12, 15:26

In the first auction, in my 11 simulation runs, I got 8 Passes, 2 3, and 1 2. Then, for some reason when it was simulating what to do over 2NT, Pass wasn't even one of the options it considered. It was choosing between 3, 3 (the book bid), and 3NT. On most hands, it didn't matter which it bid, it ended up in 3NT (since it gave South 15-17 HCP, and North had "promised" 10+, so South will always bid game); there was one hand where it mattered, and 3NT went down the least, so that was the choice it went with.

That's why I say the forward chain logic of GIB is ludicrous- it cannot possibly know what is in partner's or opponents` hands with almost any amount of bidding so the chains just lead it to the wrong place. It should always use bookbids, if not available then a simulation with that bid as the final contract and simple DD analysis will allow it get the biggest possible sample of hands. I see it simulated 11 hands out of millions.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-June-18, 15:57

View Postcloa513, on 2012-June-12, 15:26, said:

I see it simulated 11 hands out of millions.

No, I think you misunderstand this. When Barmar re-runs hands to see where simulations might lead, his program runs "a bunch of simulations" 11 separate times; Barmar therefore reports a single decision that was based on each of those 11 "bunches". I don't recall ever hearing how many hands are "dealt" in each "bunch".

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users