• You cannot reply to this topic

Frequently Bypass 4+ D

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-10, 14:27

In the MINOR OPENING section of the convention card, there is a box marked:
Frequently bypass 4+
which can be checked or not. I presume (I don't think this entry was on convention cards when I stopped playing almost 20 years ago) this pertains to auctions where there is a 1 opening and opener's partner either does or does not show his 4-card diamond suit. This box is not checked on GIB's convention card, so I would expect GIB to bid "up the line" with 4D and 4M, and bid 1 in some of these other cases:

I haven't been able to find a single hand where GIB bid 1 over partner's 1 opening holding only four diamonds. Should that box be checked, or does it mean something else?

When GIB does bid 1, the description says "4+D" but he only seems to do it when he has more than 4.

#2 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-12, 01:52

Have you tried it with GIB having a hand with clubs and diamonds, but too weak to bid 2 as a response?

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-June-12, 08:26

I haven't found such a hand record.

#4 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-19, 01:58

I found one: http://tinyurl.com/ctyw6bj
And it still bypassed 4 diamonds. Maybe the only way it'd bid it is if it had an unbalanced hand with a bunch of clubs and 4 diamonds? But then if it had 4-9 pts it could bid 3 clubs, and if it had 10+, it could bid 2 clubs. I think it just always bypasses the 4 diamonds then.

#5 User is offline   Joeydinky 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-June-19, 06:50

Hi B,

I have also found your comment to be true. Gib seems to always have 5Ds when bidding 1D after a 1C opening. However, there is one bid I would like to see the programmers instigate. When Gib is only strong enough to make one bid (6-9 hcps)I would like him to by-pass the 1D in favor of bidding his 4 card major. This up the line bidding is antiquated. You don't have to play the complete Walsh system just the by-pass of Ds when you have strength for only 1 bid. Game #7054 board #8 for instance. You easily get to your 4-4 H fit. I am tired of having to compromise my normal game to play Gib standard. Does anyone have 2 pages of notes, like I do, for which Gib is programmed and not?

Thanks

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-June-19, 22:48

View PostJoeydinky, on 2012-June-19, 06:50, said:

You don't have to play the complete Walsh system just the by-pass of Ds when you have strength for only 1 bid. Game #7054 board #8 for instance. You easily get to your 4-4 H fit.

You're seriously suggesting that it's North's fault you are not in hearts, when you passed a forward-going bid in a live auction?

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-June-19, 22:50

View PostJoeydinky, on 2012-June-19, 06:50, said:

I am tired of having to compromise my normal game to play Gib standard.
Well, I'm sure that BBO players worldwide would eagerly play your normal game, if only the programmers had known...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users