BBO Discussion Forums: Funny story from the D20 flight A GNTs - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Funny story from the D20 flight A GNTs

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-June-06, 16:22

So this was an auction I perpetrated upon partner at the flight A GNTs. I thought I had a really tough rebid problem after 1, and decided to compromise between a mini-splinter of 3 and a 3 call with a straight 3 call, reaching 4 opposite JTxxx Kxx Kxx xx, for a good game. I was ecstatic with the result, thinking we might have earned a swing, but I wasn't happy with the auction and continued to brood until comparison, where the board turned out to be a push. Anxious to hear about how they solved my problem, I asked about their auction.

"Well, your hand opened 1N," my teammate started, "and then over the transfer to 2, he super-accepted with 3, so after a re-transfer, they just bid game" :blink:

For the theoreticians, I think my teammate eventually came up with what I think was the best solution with a fake reverse into hearts, planning on raising 2 to 3.
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-06, 16:50

this is a well known difficult hand in 2/1.

I would also reverse into 2h but raise 2s(minimum) to 4s.

If you play reverse flannery pard denies 5s and 4h unless gf hand.

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-06, 17:27

This is the classic 'Death Hand'. I wouldn't have thought of 1NT, but it does cover everything on this hand except a transfer to Diamonds. What would be extremely useful on this hand is Mexican 2 opening, which would free up a 2NT rebid to show either this hand or any hand 15+ HCP with 4-5 card support and a 5+ card suit (of course, the Club suit can't be 6+ and solid, otherwise you would have rebid 4). I wonder how well it could work if you used 2 here (by opener) as either a hand with support like above, or a 2NT rebid hand, and use 2NT as the reverse with Diamonds.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-June-06, 17:48

chasetb, on 2012-June-06, 17:27, said:

This is the classic 'Death Hand'. I wouldn't have thought of 1NT, but it does cover everything on this hand except a transfer to Diamonds. What would be extremely useful on this hand is Mexican 2 opening, which would free up a 2NT rebid to show either this hand or any hand 15+ HCP with 4-5 card support and a 5+ card suit (of course, the Club suit can't be 6+ and solid, otherwise you would have rebid 4). I wonder how well it could work if you used 2 here (by opener) as either a hand with support like above, or a 2NT rebid hand, and use 2NT as the reverse with Diamonds.

If partner transfers to diamonds, how bad can that be?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-06, 17:49

Just bid 2H. If partner raises hearts, he has 5 spades. There is really not that much that can go wrong.

edit: Meh I didn't see that your teammates suggested this. You are right that they are right. This is a common sitution, it is not something just for the kenrexfords of the world :P

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-June-06, 19:56

JLOGIC, on 2012-June-06, 17:49, said:

Just bid 2H. If partner raises hearts, he has 5 spades. There is really not that much that can go wrong.

edit: Meh I didn't see that your teammates suggested this. You are right that they are right. This is a common sitution, it is not something just for the kenrexfords of the world :P

Actually, it is something for the Kranyaks of the world. The Kks introduced me to the Kranyak Jump Reverse here, where Opener rebids 3D to show a long club suit, extra strength, and a frag support. I have used this for years and love it.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-06, 20:09

JLOGIC, on 2012-June-06, 17:49, said:

Yeah, it really is one of those answers that once you think of it, you slap your forehead and exclaim "Of course that's the only right way to bid this hand!". I've seen it before, done it before, I just had a mental block.

That being said, I have seen a pair do this & have a really amusing result when they also played kickback & responder did have 5 spades & 4 hearts.
Chris Gibson

#8 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-06, 20:14

chasetb, on 2012-June-06, 17:27, said:

This is the classic 'Death Hand'. I wouldn't have thought of 1NT, but it does cover everything on this hand except a transfer to Diamonds.

or partner raising to 3N with AJxx Kxx xxx Axx
Chris Gibson

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users