Sophisticated Slamming

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-June-07, 21:06

x AKxxx AJ10xx Ax

I opened 1. Partner responded 2NT Jacoby, so I bid my stiff spade (3).

Partner now bid Serious 3NT!

This seemed extremely likely to be based upon the heart Queen, spade Ace, and a lot of stuff, so I launched into RKCB -- 4NT.

Partner showed the expected one KC with 5.

At this point, somewhat in the back of my mind out of fear that 5 would be passed, I bid 5, figuring that this would likely be worked out in a good way. Sure enough, partner bid 5NT, which seemed to show the spade King, and whether this also promised the trump Queen or that was inferred from the Serious 3NT, I was now thinking grand slam, but possbly 6NT also. 6 seemed like a logical start -- focus partner on the diamond suit.

Partner signed off at 6.

Now, I tried "Grand Slam Train Has Left the Building," bidding 5 to invite a choice between 6NT, 7, or possibly 7.

The lead was a club as partner tabled AKQx 10xx Kx QJxx.

After cleaning up my shirt, I set about analyzing this intriguing choice. Clearly, as you can see, the small slam in spades may well make, when 6 may well fail. So, a fair decision after all. granted, 6NT has play when 6 makes and 6 fails, but 6 seems more likely to induce a psychotic break when LHO holds QJxx in hearts, four spades, two small clubs, and three diamonds to the Queen, especially when I play the Jack toward Dummy. That will surely give me a much better read in 6 than 6NT.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-07, 21:24

i DONT GET IT

WE have no way to show great d suit over 2nt?

in any event I dont get 2nt what was that?

an insane auction.

start with 2c over 1h and go from there.

1h=2c
2d=2h(slam try) good start.

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-08, 02:59

Let's see if I can count all the "flawed" bids:

1) Jac2NT with only THREE trumps to the TEN .... geez.

2) Serious-3NT knowing wasted values in Spades ( although A K Q is nothing to scoff at -- partner can get 2 sure discards ).

3) After the 5S-trump Q-ask , partner SHOWS it with 5NT ( and possibly the K ) when he DOESN'T have the Q OR extra Ht length .

4) Failing to use 4S! kickback-RKC.... using it surely makes the Q-ask task easier.

5) 6S! ..... classic KenRexford .... I actually like this bid !

Apparently partner didn't know of Ken's favorite "multi"-2C! response for this auction... eventually showing 3 card support ( a la mike's start ) :

1H - 2C!
2D - 2H
3S ( splinter ) - 4D ( non-Serious cue in partner's 2nd suit, denying a -Ctrl )
4S! ( kickback -RKC ) - 5C ( 1 key )
5D ( Q-ask ) - 5H ( no Q )
6H ( may be a gamble, but partner has to have something else in or perhaps the Q or maybe Q J for his 2/1 Response ).
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users