• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"ridiculous"

#1 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-October-05, 01:50

After an infraction, say a tempo issue or the like, the opponent who perpetrated the infraction, tells the player who indicated that he would call the director:

"don't be so ridiculous"

How do you handle this under Law 74A?

Assume the infraction did actually occur.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-October-05, 03:33

View PostCascade, on 2011-October-05, 01:50, said:

After an infraction, say a tempo issue or the like, the opponent (X) who perpetrated the infraction, tells the player (Y) who indicated that he (Y) would call the director: "don't be so ridiculous"

If Y is upset by the remark then I fine X the standard disciplinary penalty.

If Y is not upset (and just thinks X is a prat) and X is regrets his remark (heat of the moment) then I tell X that his remark is inappropriate and upsetting;. You have to be there, but there should probably be a fine regardless.

Irrelevant: the remark is upsetting and inappropriate regardless.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-05, 03:55

While I don't entirely disagree with Robin that whether the offence took place matters, I can envisage situations like:

Stop 2 (removes stop card after a microsecond)

Waits 10 seconds ... pass

Pass

"Director"

I might feel a little like the man who said "ridiculous" and less likely to penalise as the director.

I've only seen this sort of situation once, where the director was confronted with an elderly gentleman who'd committed a minor infraction that many would have let go in a club setting, but strictly required a director call, the secretary bird or close, indicated a director call, and something was said. The conversation with the director went as follows:

SB: this man just called me a bastard
EG: no I didn't, I called you a MISERABLE bastard

I'm not sure what was done, I suspect this being Norfolk and with the people involved, probably nothing.

#4 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-October-05, 04:56

View PostRMB1, on 2011-October-05, 03:33, said:

You have to be there, ...

There are lots of different circumstances where different ruling would be possible.

I think "don't be so ridiculous" sounds like an attempt to prevent Y from calling the director, and it is upsetting because it is calling Y ridiculous.

In contrast: "that's ridiculous" (for example) sounds like strong disagreement with Y's contention that there has been an infraction. It is not attempting to prevent the TD being called, nor is it calling Y ridiculous.

We also have to be aware that we are not speaking the same language (just because we use the same words).
"don't be so ridiculous" could carry very different meaning in America than in England, or indeed in Norfolk than in London or Devon.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-October-05, 07:32

After an infraction, say a tempo issue or the like, the opponent(X) who perpetrated the infraction, tells the player(Y) who indicated that he(Y) would call the director:"don't be so ridiculous"
An opposing view, depending on context... Why is Y provoking X? Don't tell him you would call the director; either call the director or shut up and continue playing.

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-October-05, 08:26

I would penalize the person who said "ridiculous" with stern reprimand.

I would also give the non-offending side a big hug to sooth the pain that they must have experienced for such outrage. No one should have to endure such harsh and unthoughtful language in a civilized society.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-October-05, 10:25

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-October-05, 08:26, said:

I would penalize the person who said "ridiculous" with stern reprimand.

I would also give the non-offending side a big hug to sooth the pain that they must have experienced for such outrage. No one should have to endure such harsh and unthoughtful language in a civilized society.

That's the most ridiculous response I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I only said that to ensure that ken gets the hugs he will need after reading this)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-05, 10:46

After an infraction, say a tempo issue or the like, the opponent who perpetrated the infraction, tells the player who indicated that he would call the director:

"don't be so ridiculous"

Is drawing and quartering allowed? :)
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2011-October-05, 11:30

Frankly, I think it's worse if there was no infraction - either "well, call then" or "Director!...This gentleman seems to have an issue. I dispute it." is much better.

If there *was* an infraction, however, and this even sniffs of an attempt at intimidation, then I'm beginning to wonder if I should pull out my ASL Rule Book, because the FLB for bridge just doesn't have sufficient gravity when thrown at them.

Seriously, though, this happens a lot, and needs the person to then actually call the director, and a firm but stable hand to ensure further correct behaviour.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-October-05, 11:57

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-October-05, 07:32, said:

An opposing view, depending on context... Why is Y provoking X? Don't tell him you would call the director; either call the director or shut up and continue playing.

I don't think it was provocation. The non-offender said "I need a director at the table". The offender asked "Why?" The non-offender explained. The offender made his comment. The director was called ...
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-October-05, 12:07

In the words of the offender 'I told him not to be ridiculous'.

The director ruled that this was acceptable and took no action.
Wayne Burrows

#12 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-October-05, 12:43

View PostCascade, on 2011-October-05, 11:57, said:

I don't think it was provocation. The non-offender said "I need a director at the table". The offender asked "Why?" The non-offender explained. The offender made his comment. The director was called ...

View PostCascade, on 2011-October-05, 12:07, said:

In the words of the offender 'I told him not to be ridiculous'.

The director ruled that this was acceptable and took no action.

Why does the player feel the need to say (apparently) to his opponent "I need a director at the table"? Either call for a director, or keep playing. Did the director take no action as to the comment, or also as to the original infraction?

#13 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-October-05, 13:30

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-October-05, 12:43, said:

Why does the player feel the need to say (apparently) to his opponent "I need a director at the table"?

Seems perfectly courteous to me.

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-October-05, 12:43, said:

Did the director take no action as to the comment, or also as to the original infraction?

The comment.

The infraction was verified and ruled on.
Wayne Burrows

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-October-05, 15:08

Yes, I think it's definitely more courteous to inform your opponents that you need to call the director, rather than suddenly blurt out "Director!". The latter is generally very annoying.

A common scenario I've seen is someone makes an insufficient bid, and just tries make it sufficient immediately when someone calls attention to it. One of us will then say "No, we should call the director" and do so, because we know it's not appropriate to try to resolve these things. I know they're not trying to get away with anything, they just don't know any better.

However, I'll admit that I've gone along with self-rulings about major penalty cards many times. Sometimes it's because I'm declarer and I have a pretty good idea that the card will be played before his partner gets on lead, so the lead restrictions won't come up, and that's the only complicated part of the penalty card laws.

#15 User is offline   Xiaolongnu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cats, playing and directing bridge, MSN, strategy games, fantasy RPGs, shooting games, adventure games, mathematics, google.

Posted 2012-May-27, 12:01

Bringing up this topic again cos today I just had this word used on me while making a ruling. I vaguely recalled (with the memory of a bridge player) that this word "ridiculous" was discussed here before, so I thought I would post and revive this.

I explained a matter of fact and law, which happened to be proper screen alerting procedures, but that is irrelevant really.

Player: But this is ridiculous! I mean, sorry, but...

I wasn't particularly offended actually, but I did shoot him a look at the sound of the word ridiculous and he continued with the sorry immediately.

Is this considered swearing at me, or was it just an interjection? Note that I do not believe in penalizing swear words automatically, cos, unfortunately, we are all guilty of interjecting a swear word or two when we are under pressure sometimes. It is just, a reflex action. I judged that it was an interjection in the end.

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 15:13

"Ridiculous" is not a "swear word".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-May-27, 15:14

View Postbarmar, on 2011-October-05, 15:08, said:

Yes, I think it's definitely more courteous to inform your opponents that you need to call the director, rather than suddenly blurt out "Director!". The latter is generally very annoying.

That's why bidding boxes (used to?) come with little orange "director" cards. I won't speculate on the reason for the disappearance of those cards.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#18 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-27, 16:36

"don't be so ridiculous"

I had similar last year. I asked about a jump shift by opponent.
"Oh, come on !" was the scornful reply.

Unacceptable. I think you have to just quietly continue with business, knowing you are in the right.
If the perpetrator doesn't calm down, then call the director, make the perpetrator look ridiculous.

I think really each club should keep a complaints book, name and date. So you run off to the director who quietly talks to the other three at the table to clarify the situation and wording. The issue gets logged in the complaints book. If the same player shows up in the book several times then they get a written warning from the President ...

Zero tolerance.

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-May-27, 16:54

Zero Tolerance means you lower the hammer the first time someone does something.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-May-27, 17:08

View Postpaua, on 2012-May-27, 16:36, said:

I had similar last year. I asked about a jump shift by opponent.
"Oh, come on !" was the scornful reply.

Unacceptable. I think you have to just quietly continue with business, knowing you are in the right.

I disagree. If the opponent's response was "unacceptable", you call the director right away and politely tell him/her "I asked a question and I would like an appropriate answer".

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users