BBO Discussion Forums: Which suit to transfer to? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which suit to transfer to?

Poll: Which suit to transfer to? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your bid?

1. 2 Diamonds - Transfer to Hearts (15 votes [65.22%])

Percentage of vote: 65.22%

2. 2 No Trumps - Transfer to Diamonds (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-07, 10:40

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2012-June-07, 05:28, said:

I personally hates any kinds of artificial 2NT response to 1NT unless one never invite. I need an invitation available.

I hated even more having to use stayman as a way of bidding an invitational 2NT. Switch to a 15/16 NT. Then you don't need invitations, it's just 1 or 3.

#22 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-June-08, 11:32

View Posthan, on 2012-June-07, 01:19, said:

I play that a transfer to diamonds followed by a jump to 4M shows 5-6 and a choice of games. I thought that was standard but I could easily be mistaken.

I know that there are some (Frances?) that play a transfer to a minor followed by 3M is natural, but I think that shortness is more standard.

I think that starting with 2NT (assuming that you can show hearts) is much better because (1) you have more and better diamonds and this is the only way to show that, (2) 2NT is more preemptive, and (3) starting with 2NT will leave you better placed if the opponents end up bidding 4S anyway.

I personally prefer a transfer to a minor followed by 3M is natural, but I don't recall whether I had discussed that with this partner - we play together infrequently.

I haven't come across the idea of a transfer followed by 4M before, but it makes some sense. Another way to play it would be exclusion for diamonds, so I wouldn't be at all certain bidding it undiscussed.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users