BBO Discussion Forums: The Tipping Point - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

The Tipping Point

#1 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-May-25, 12:06

I think one of the hardest things about defense is identifying "tipping points": points in the play of the hand where a decision needs to be made by a defender, with the fate of the contract hanging in the balance. Sometimes there is only one tipping point, and if you get it wrong, it's too late. Sometimes, however, the defense gets more than one opportunity. This hand came up last night in the local club game; follow the play of the first few tricks and see if you can spot the tipping point (you are sitting East):

How has the defense gone so far? What's your plan, and does it matter?

Spoiler

The full hand:

http://tinyurl.com/7l66ykp

DISCLAIMER: This is not a "novice" hand. It's main theme is probably best described as intermediate, but I don't think it's a bad idea to start challenging players early in their bridge careers. If you found it too difficult to follow, I apologize; I wanted it to be tough, but not frustrating.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-25, 12:16

Interesting but definitely not N/B material. Even a basic endplay is enough to challenge a true novice.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-26, 23:10

Spoiler

OK
bed

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 03:54

playing 4th diamond is another mistake, play a trump and keep 2 diamonds to escape. This beats declarer if he has AJ10 Ax and fails to play last trump to squeeze us. (and even if he does we might pitch 2 clubs and hope he missguess)

#5 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-May-27, 07:27

View PostFluffy, on 2012-May-27, 03:54, said:

playing 4th diamond is another mistake, play a trump and keep 2 diamonds to escape. This beats declarer if he has AJ10 Ax and fails to play last trump to squeeze us. (and even if he does we might pitch 2 clubs and hope he missguess)

True. However, part of the point I was trying to make was that sometimes the defense gets a second--or third--chance after a suboptimal start. Also, squeeze defense seems like a pretty advanced topic, but "seeing that you are about to be thrown in and trying to do something about it" seems reasonable. Maybe that's too fine a hair to split, I don't know.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#6 User is offline   Joeydinky 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-27, 07:57

Hi,

Very interesting hand. I certainly could have been wrong but I would have switched to the K of Hs at trick 2. Partner did make a negative double. This gives you the potential of getting a ruff as well as endplaying the declarer. You can continue Ds later.

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 14:51

View Postdaveharty, on 2012-May-27, 07:27, said:

True. However, part of the point I was trying to make was that sometimes the defense gets a second--or third--chance after a suboptimal start. Also, squeeze defense seems like a pretty advanced topic, but "seeing that you are about to be thrown in and trying to do something about it" seems reasonable. Maybe that's too fine a hair to split, I don't know.

I agree with you, but avoiding getting out of exit cards is a very common mistake, the subtle implications are too subtle for this level surelly. But so is seeing the endplay after declarer refuses to ruff last diamond.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users