BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - 6-5 come alive - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB - 6-5 come alive partner even bids your 5!

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-26, 08:21

Weak NT, 5cM. The HA was offside so 6D was down 1. Edit: MPs and they led a club.

I think we both got a bit of last-hand syndrome on this one. Is the West hand worth 1S? Is the East hand worth 6D? ATB as usual please.

Thanks,

ahydra

#2 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-26, 08:36

1S - 2D! ( 2/1 GF )
3H! jump ( splinter for ) - ?? now East knows of wasted values in and maybe puts the breaks on in game.

EDIT: Of course slam is about 50% ( Ace onside ) .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-26, 09:16

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-May-26, 08:36, said:

1S - 2D! ( 2/1 GF )
3H! jump ( splinter for ) - ?? now East knows of wasted values in and maybe puts the breaks on in game.

EDIT: Of course slam is about 50% ( Ace onside ) .

It's better than 50% by the matter of them having to lead a club, trump and A are both also possible, it's worse by virtue of trumps 3-0 offside.

No blame, happy to be in this or not, it's a very obvious 1 opener.

I'd have been inviting the grand in case partner had Kx, xxxx, Axxxx, Ax

1-2
4(exclusion)-5(2 without)
5-6

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-26, 13:36

I've been in much worse slams (today already).

I don't like splinters and would probably slow things down with a 3 bid instead of 5 but given some of the slams I've been in lately I would certainly get to this one.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-May-26, 15:31

1 is entirely reasonable....what alternatives are there? Pass seems misguided, and a weak 2 is plain silly. 4 is probably the only remotely rational alternative yet risks playing in the wrong strain at the wrong level.

5 seems a bit weird to me. Yes, it gets across the general nature of the hand....W must be weakish in hcp and freakish in shape, but so what? Why does W have to place the contract? Maybe grand is cold, but unbiddable after 5. Maybe the partnership belongs in spades...? Why not a simple 3, which is forcing, and await developments.

I wouldn't splinter....I really don't like splinters on voids when partner will think it is a stiff, especially for slam purposes. Absent the heart A, he'll think we have a sure heart loser, and adjust his sights accordingly.

As it was, it was a good slam: it is probably cold on a non club lead, and even with the club lead, it is 50%.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-May-26, 22:33

I think the jump to 5 is misguided - just give East 3 good spades to see why (3=2=5=3). are still in the picture after partner's 2call. I like the 3 splinter a bit more than the possible 4 exclusion bid because s are still alive and I need to know if partner controls . With a control the exclusion bid is a no brainer - however I have many partner's who forget that the level above a splinter bid is exclusion RKB.

As for a 1 opening bid on this hand, I would choose that over 2 and pass - all HCP are working in the 2 suits. I owe partner 1/2 QT. 65 shape pays that debt nicely.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#7 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 09:41

View PostSteveMoe, on 2012-May-26, 22:33, said:

- however I have many partner's who forget that the "level above a splinter bid" is exclusion RKB.

Side issue : When are trump, Meckwell uses 4S! as kickback-RKC and 4NT as voidwood ( Excluding )

Analogously, when are trump, 4H! may be kickback-RKC and 4NT could be Voidwood ( Excluding the kickback suit, ). I don't know if they play it that way, but I do know some, if not many, here play 4H! as kickback .

EDIT ( Addition ) :
For example, in a recent thread [ http://www.bridgebas...-club-openings/ ] , Cyberyeti ( in post # 3 ) where are agreed as trump, he says 4D! = kickback and 4NT! is Exclusion ( Excluding the kickback suit, ).

This post has been edited by TWO4BRIDGE: 2012-May-27, 14:59

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users