• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-November-10, 22:02

1. Vul v Not

KQ
K75
KT53
AQT3

Two passes to you and you open 1N. P bids 2H (trf) and rebids 3S. Your call?

2. White v Red

AJ9765
AQ
KT872

Playing 2/1 you open 1s after one pass. P bids 1N, you bid 2D (agree?), p rebids 2s. Your call? What if Exclusion was available?

3. All vul

AJ876432
J9

4. All non

AJ9863
K54

2H pass 4H to you. What now?

5. All vul

A62
QJ9543

1D p 1H x 2H

How many clubs do you bid?

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-November-10, 22:10

1. Vul v Not

KQ
K75
KT53
AQT3

4S

2. White v Red

AJ9765
AQ
KT872

Playing 2/1 you open 1s after one pass. P bids 1N, you bid 2D (agree?), p rebids 2s. Your call? What if Exclusion was available?

Disagree with 2D. 3S for me

3. All vul

AJ876432
J9

If this is a question on what I open, 4S

4. All non

AJ9863
K54

4S

5. All vul

A62
QJ9543

1D p 1H x 2H

"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-November-10, 23:03

1. 4S, what else?

2. 3. In standard 2/1 ths is a great hand, but it is not that great. I would have bid 3 instead of 2, At imps, I might push to game.. but if I do, it would be just 4S, not a splinter, not an exclusion bid.

3. Vulnerable, I need 8 tricks to open 4, and 9 tricks if the opponets are not vul (here they are). I see six tricks, even if I am optomistic. So no i would not open four spades. Given an eight card suit, I guess i would stretch and bid 3 (optomistic 7 tricks).

4. If they were vul, i would gladly bid 4. As it is, there is no reason to assume 4S is right. Still, i guess i would bid it, especially after i sat there and thought and thought over it.

5. Ackward hand. I enough for 5, but sadly the three small diamonds are worrysome. Problem with 4 is that it bypasses 3NT and it doesn't solve the problem of three little diamonds. So grudgedly i bid 3.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-10, 23:05

On hand one I bid 3N. My thinking was that I had no ruffing value and all 2 side suits stopped. Is this terrible thinking?

#5 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-10, 23:40

I'm curious...why did you put this in the Beginner/Intermediate lounge?

#6 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-11, 00:05

1. 4 some days 3NT will make and 4sp will go down but i dont know how to recognized those days.
2.2d was fine and now i'll bid 4, im not even close to exclusive since we might go down in 4, remember partners 2 is a very weak bid.
3. i dont like the hand much, i dont like AXXX suits for prements and i will only bid 3.
4. bidding 4 here is a one way bid, a secrafice only because partner doesnt have enough hcp. I would pass, but i know successfull players that would bid 4sp without a second of thinking.
5. 3 in competitve i dont get exited with some hcp, if i would it would silence my partner on the next board, my goal is to win the partscores, and if i miss a game here and there its ok.

#7 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-11, 00:07

jtfanclub, on Nov 11 2004, 05:40 AM, said:

I'm curious...why did you put this in the Beginner/Intermediate lounge?

Dunno. Seemed right. Feel free to move it.

#8 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-11, 00:52

1/. 4 spades I am max and pard has shown he needs help so better to play in his suit

2/. 3 diamonds, I think it shows the hand a bit better than 3 spades and lets p make a fair contribution to the decision of where to go next, 3 or 4 spades or something else like 3nt

3/. if it was AKxxxxxx I would bid 4!S AJxxxxxx I would bid 2 or 3 spades depends on how much I had been drinking

4/. 4 spades and expect it not to make hoping they bid 5

5/. 3 clubs

and I think it is ok in beginners intermediate section.

#9 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2004-November-11, 02:35

hand 1:

3N. Pard knows i have 2 spades and can always correct, so this is just a suggestion not a defintie final contract. I have fitting spade honors so am hopeful for tricks there, and 9 tricks may be easier than ten (especially if pard passes). Think AJTxxx Qxx xxx x or the like.

hand 2:

agree whole heartedly with 2D. not a great hand until you find a fit, certainly not worth a game forcing jump shift. After that i bid a value showing 3S. Partner will know pointed suit values are good (since i bid 2D).

hand 3:

I open 4S. Just my style.

hand 4:

4S. I'm a big believer in the bergen theory of 4S over 4H. There are so many ways for this bid to be right. It could be wrong but I strongly believe this is percentage.

Hand 5:

4C. Suggest long clubs and a little something, invite a save if they bid game or bid it to make if he has a good prime hand, takes away bidding space from them. Feels like enough, leaves the final decision up to pard

#10 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-11, 03:22

Flame, on Nov 11 2004, 01:05 AM, said:

1. 4 some days 3NT will make and 4sp will go down but i dont know how to recognized those days.
2.2d was fine and now i'll bid 4, im not even close to exclusive since we might go down in 4, remember partners 2 is a very weak bid.
3. i dont like the hand much, i dont like AXXX suits for prements and i will only bid 3.
4. bidding 4 here is a one way bid, a secrafice only because partner doesnt have enough hcp. I would pass, but i know successfull players that would bid 4sp without a second of thinking.
5. 3 in competitve i dont get exited with some hcp, if i would it would silence my partner on the next board, my goal is to win the partscores, and if i miss a game here and there its ok.

Completely agree with Flame.
Senshu

#11 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-11, 05:22

1. Vul v Not
KQ
K75
KT53
AQT3
Two passes to you and you open 1N. P bids 2 (trf) and rebids 3. Your call?
3NT – I have all other suits covered AND P figures to have about 8 points and a six card S suit

2. White v Red

AJ9765
AQ
KT872

Playing 2/1 you open 1s after one pass. P bids 1N, you bid 2 (agree?), p rebids 2. Your call? What if Exclusion was available?
I will PASS ( if I’m stuck with the bidding as shown ) P has only 2 spades and probably has weak suit ( and I AM assuming I am void of ?)

3. All vul
AJ876432
J9

4. All non
AJ9863
K54
2 pass 4 to you. What now?

3. bid 4(hoping it’s either a good sac OR opps push on to 5H which could be down )
4. PASS -- my siut NOT good enought to bid at 4 level :)

5. All vul
A62
QJ9543
1 p 1 x 2

Four – using the LOTT and assuming P has 4 clubs (and I did pass the first time so hopefully the 4C will be mildly premptive )

NOW please remember I am ONLY Intermediate - not advanced or expert - and this was posted as a BIL problem :)

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-November-11, 05:28

1. 4S
2. 3D
3. Open 3S. 4S if I need a swing. (The other way around if opps strech their preempts.)
4. Pass. Should have bid 2S already, to avoid this problem :)
5. 3C. Then 4C if opps go to 3H.

#13 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-November-11, 06:11

1. Vul v Not

KQ
K75
KT53
AQT3

4S

2. White v Red

AJ9765
AQ
KT872

4S. I agree with 2D, as it does not overstate the power of the hand, although there is the slight risk of pard's passing it out.

3. All vul

AJ876432
J9

3S.
2 flaws for a 4S call:
1) Bad intermediates
2) possession of trump Ace (since it takes a sure trick in defense too, it lowers the ODR)

4. All non

AJ9863
K54

Pass.

5. All vul

A62
QJ9543

1D p 1H x 2H

If I bid 2NT now it would be Lebensohl, so a direct bid at he 3 level is constructive.
Therefore I bid 3C.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#14 User is offline   EarlPurple 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-11, 06:28

Deanrover, on Nov 11 2004, 04:02 AM, said:

1. Vul v Not

KQ
K75
KT53
AQT3

Partner should be showing 6 spades. Seems obvious to the posters on here but not to many players at the table.

The danger of 3NT is that partner is lacking the ace of spades, and also lacks anything in hearts. He could have:

JTxxxx xx Axx Kx

and would surely have bid that way. The only question is, would he correct 3NT by me to 4 now?

The danger in 4 is a hand where we can run 9 tricks but have 4 unavoidable losers. Such a hand partner might have would be:

AJxxxx Jxx xx Kx

could go down on a diamond lead to the ace and heart switch, suffering a 3rd round ruff.

Actually this hand was hard to construct, compared to the first one. I therefore conclude that (at IMPS anyway) 4 is the better bid.

2. White v Red

AJ9765
AQ
KT872
-

I still have no idea what partner has. Some play that in 2/1, a 1NT response (usually overused) followed by a return to 2 shows a weaker hand than a direct 2 but then what are you supposed to do over 1NT with 2 spades and nowhere to go? How many diamonds does 2 promise?

My preference is that 2 promises 4. With a 5-3-3-2 hand, I prefer 2 which promises only 2. That works well when (1) you have diamonds and can show a 4 card suit and (2) when partner is weak with long clubs and can pass you in 2.

If playing that here, I am much better placed because partner knows I have at least 4 diamonds. If not, then certainly I must bid 3 now to show partner what I really have. At the moment I am looking for a game, not a slam. Of course there is a chance that 3 now would show a much weaker hand, so should I bid 4?
Had we been playing a strong club (or strong diamond) system I don't have this problem as I can rebid 3 on the 2nd round to show a hand like this. But in 2/1 it shows a much stronger hand so yes I agree with 2 rebid.

3. All vul

AJ876432
J9

I have 8 spades but too high an offence/defense ratio. I think I go for the in-between medium of 3. Less likely to be doubled if it's wrong (doubling would be into game). Plus it may pressure them into bidding 4 when that is wrong for them, whereas they are less likely to bid to the 5 level if I open 4.

Maybe the bidding goes 3 (4) Dbl and partner can lead a spade, I win and lead my singleton diamond, partner takes A, Q and gives me a ruff, and we still have a trump trick to come, while 4 is down.

4. All non
AJ9863
K54

Pre-empts are great, aren't they. Where 4 is good here is that the 2 opener is on my left and it is his partner who is more likely to hold any spade length. My spade intermediates and RHO may be disappointed with his double on KTx in spades.

4 is often right in this auction. Here I have 6 good ones so why not?
[quote]
5. All vul

A62
QJ9543

RHO You LHO Pard
1D [space] [space] p [space] 1H [space] [space] x 
2H [space] [space]?

Partner probably has 5 clubs and 4 spades, and I have the ace in their suit. If partner has AKxx x QJx AKxxx we make 3NT but 5 is possibly off on 3 rounds of diamonds (likely 5-2 on the bidding). Of course, no reason why he should be that strong but just in case he is I will bid just 3 so he can cue 3 to ask me for my heart stop.
You can't keep a good man down

#15 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-11, 10:27

1. Vul v Not

KQ
K75
KT53
AQT3

The K-Q will probably block the suit in NT. Pard has something like A - 6th of of spades and an outside Q, or J-6th, an Ace and a queen. Either way, I like 4 better.

2. White v Red

AJ9765
AQ
KT872

Exclusion BW is a massive overbid, but I will invite slam with 4. Conceivable pard has Qx, xxxx, AQx, xxxx.

3. All vul

AJ876432
J9

4; suit quality doesn't matter much to me when I have an 8 bagger.

4. All non

AJ9863
K54

Toughest problem here. But whenever its reasonable to bid 4 over 4, do it.

5. All vul

A62
QJ9543

1D p 1H x 2H

4. I expect to beat 4 if partner doesn't sac.
"Phil" on BBO

#16 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-November-11, 12:47

1. Vul v Not

KQ
K75
KT53
AQT3

4s.... he's invitational but probably only in spades... he might be sufficiently balanced with necessary entries for 3nt, but i'd rather not risk it

2. White v Red

AJ9765
AQ
KT872

i think pard is 2425 and weakish... just 4s... yes i agree with 2d and no i don't think i'm nearly strong enough for exclusion

3. All vul

AJ876432
J9

4s

4. All non

AJ9863
K54

pass

5. All vul

A62
QJ9543

1D p 1H x 2H

with 2nt available as leb, i bid 3c... if not, 4c
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#17 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-November-11, 13:10

Deanrover, on Nov 11 2004, 01:05 AM, said:

On hand one I bid 3N. My thinking was that I had no ruffing value and all 2 side suits stopped. Is this terrible thinking?

You will hear different opinions on this one. 3NT could be very, very right. Or it could be horribly wrong. First, let's see if we can figure out parnters hand.

He has six spades, that is clear. With Seven Spades, it is hard to just invite, with five spades, he would find some other way to invite. His spades will be J9xxxx or Axxxxx or better. I think Axxxxx is more likely than J9xxxx (he should treat T9xxxx as a five card suit as his hcp are outside the suit).

With a six card suit, he will either have seven or 8 hcp to invite, and this will not be two aces. If he has the spade ace, he will have very little outside, let's say two queens, or maybe a queen and a jack. But lets be generous and give him the two red queens (with two aces and a six card suit, he will bid game as well). You could imagine a lot of hands, but lets give him

Axxxxx Qx Qx xxx

They start a red card, either red suit, and without the ACE. Now you will need the ACE in the other red suit to be onside. so you can run your spades. even if the club hook is on. And if partner's heart is the jack, or worse yet, if partner has club JACK and singleton small heart, a heart lead and you are toasted while 4 should make if the suit split reasonably (lose 1H, 1D, 1C tops).

It is a matter of style. If my spade KQ values where in other suits, I would bid 3NT. I will admit it is close, but I would bid 4 with this specific holding.
--Ben--

#18 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2004-November-11, 16:13

1) 4S. I think that 3NT is wrong. You have no fillers in the unbid suits, and may need entries to partner's hand to take those finesses.

2) 4S, though it could be wrong. Easier at IMPs than at matchpoints.

3) 3S. If the suit was hearts I'd open 4H without a thought.

4) 4S. Try to look like you know what you're doing when you make such a bid.

5) Tempted to bid 4C, but I have seen the other posts and trust them enough to think that 3C is right. However, I'd hate to take a second call when the auction goes 3H-p-p next. I'd much rather make them guess. Perhaps 4C is the right call at matchpoints, while 3C is better at IMPs (where you really don't want to miss game)
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users