BBO Discussion Forums: vulnerable slam in both majors - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

vulnerable slam in both majors can you bid it?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-May-03, 08:44

Take it from here, south will now compete to 4.

Can you construct an auction that allows e/w to find their game - standard bidding, no fancy treatments please.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 08:50

edit: I see you fixed the auction

So (starting with N)
1D-1S-p-p
2C-X-4C-4H
p-5C-p-6H

Once NS start bidding clubs, East can judge that his hand is a monster for hearts (the QJ are surely onside, and West hasn't supported spades which means a long spade can be ruffed good).

The only dodgy bit is whether West would bid 6H. But I think he should do - partner showed a monster, he has a 6-card suit to AK and can see a club void opposite.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-03, 08:58

Ok, if it makes any difference south competes to 4, no jump.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:18

I do not understand the pass by West. AKxxxx of hearts should bid hearts. Now East will get excited and I don't see how you can stop short of slam.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:35

The one call I truly cannot understand, on the auction as posted, is N's reopening. He should be shot.

E could have doubled at his first turn, but I agree with 1.

W could have bid 2. This is a great advertisement for transfer advances. W no doubt passed because 2 would be forcing and was seen by him as a significant overbid. Whether one agrees or not, I suspect we'd all agree that he has an easy 2 transfer advance, which (in my partnerships) should be taken by East as showing approximately weak 2 values.....look at the E hand opposite a weak 2 in hearts....slam may still be out of reach, but game is trivial.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:35

View PostArtK78, on 2012-May-03, 09:18, said:

I do not understand the pass by West. AKxxxx of hearts should bid hearts. Now East will get excited and I don't see how you can stop short of slam.

So your auction would have started 1 1 P 2?
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:36

View Postjillybean, on 2012-May-03, 09:35, said:

So your auction would have started 1 1 P 2?

Yes.

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:37

View Postmikeh, on 2012-May-03, 09:35, said:

The one call I truly cannot understand, on the auction as posted, is N's reopening. He should be shot.

W could have bid 2. This is a great advertisement for transfer advances. W no doubt passed because 2 would be forcing and was seen by him as a significant overbid. Whether one agrees or not, I suspect we'd all agree that he has an easy 2 transfer advance, which (in my partnerships) should be taken by East as showing approximately weak 2 values.....look at the E hand opposite a weak 2 in hearts....slam may still be out of reach, but game is trivial.

I have not played transfer advances of overcalls in many years, but this hand is certainly a great advertisement for it.

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:42

Yes, West passed because she thought 2 was a significant overbid. We don't play transfer advances, maybe we should, what now?
(still learning)

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-May-03, 10:38

View Postjillybean, on 2012-May-03, 09:42, said:

Yes, West passed because she thought 2 was a significant overbid. We don't play transfer advances, maybe we should, what now?

If you play transfer advances, West bids 2 (showing hearts). Now East cue bids and they are off to the races.

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 10:55

while many feel a 1S overcall is ok I think it is one
of those bids you make praying you will survive the
first round of the bidding. I like x by a whole ton
vs 1s. E did not have a reopening x (too much spade
length so their p is probably broke) and your side
should have been saddled with 1s (I am not going to
bid 2h as w here with a doubleton spade).

Your hand and spade suit are strong enough to x and
then bid your suit so that is my suggested route and
look what happens-------1d x p 2h look how easy it
is to bid 2s now to show your spades and extra values
(forcing). Opps are probably silent now and bidding
proceeds

1d x p 2h
p 2s p 4h*
p 4n p 5h
6h

*since 2s is forcing w can pattern out. W was very close
to being able to bid 3h over the x and now takes the
opportunity to show the 1 suited nature of their hand.

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 11:24

This is a common problem, if you're going to pass 1 on the W hand, you can't overcall 1 on the E hand, the fine heart suit is a bit of a mirage, you've still missed 4 opposite Jx, AKx(x), xx, xxxxx(x).

We keep our overcalls stronger than most and respond as if they were openers, so we would never pass. You just need to agree what your minimum responding hand looks like to know what your maximum overcall should look like (or vice versa).

#13 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 11:46

View Postjillybean, on 2012-May-03, 09:42, said:

Why think it's an overbid?

If you are playing 2 level new suit as forcing over overcalls, you probably shouldn't be. Given the opening bid, and partner's lower average range for overcalling than an opening bid, you want to cater to getting to playable spots, allowing advancer to show their decent suits instead of having to pass everything without a fit. There's a reason non-forcing constructive is somewhat standard for new suits after overcalls. Playing it as forcing is catering to game and slam hands with no fit that are going to be comparatively rare.

Transfer advances are better, then you can show constructive/inv/force all with intuitive sequences, but it shouldn't have stopped you on this hand.

#14 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-May-03, 11:53

Given the auction as presented so far, East should DBL. The double shows extra values and a willingness to compete in the majors. It is not a penalty double because so far West has not shown any values whatsoever.

Whether West bids 2 initially might be a function of the partnership agreements over overcalls.

If the agreement is that new suits are forcing, then West doesn't have enough to make a 2 call.

If the agreement is that new suits are non-forcing, then West should bid 2 . West does have a nice 6 card suit and tolerance for East's s.

After the DBL, West should have no problem bidding 4 if South bids 4 . Looking at 3 s with both opponents showing length, East is unlikely to have many s.

#15 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-03, 12:22

View PostStephen Tu, on 2012-May-03, 11:46, said:

Why think it's an overbid?

If you are playing 2 level new suit as forcing over overcalls, you probably shouldn't be. Given the opening bid, and partner's lower average range for overcalling than an opening bid, you want to cater to getting to playable spots, allowing advancer to show their decent suits instead of having to pass everything without a fit. There's a reason non-forcing constructive is somewhat standard for new suits after overcalls. Playing it as forcing is catering to game and slam hands with no fit that are going to be comparatively rare.

Transfer advances are better, then you can show constructive/inv/force all with intuitive sequences, but it shouldn't have stopped you on this hand.

We play it as forcing, we should be playing it as nf-c, or transfers after overcalls..or nfb's :)

Having said that, the downside of bidding 2 now is that you can never show your 2 card support.
(still learning)

#16 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-May-04, 01:32

Your two card support is one reason why your hand is always strong enough for 2 . If partner rebids a minimum 2 , you will be well placed. If he shows extras and or a fit, your hand explodes.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#17 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 04:14

Biddng and making slam would explode in his face just as good. No need to get violent :P

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 04:15

View PostCodo, on 2012-May-04, 01:32, said:

Your two card support is one reason why your hand is always strong enough for 2 . If partner rebids a minimum 2 , you will be well placed. If he shows extras and or a fit, your hand explodes.

Contrary to this, I would be more inclined to bid with singleton spade, the reason is I don´t want to play in 5-1.

#19 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2012-May-04, 06:42

View Postjillybean, on 2012-May-03, 12:22, said:

We play it as forcing, we should be playing it as nf-c, or transfers after overcalls..or nfb's :)

Don't bother with negative free bids. And nfb's do not apply here. That would be third hand after an opening bid and an overcall.

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-May-04, 07:04

View PostArtK78, on 2012-May-04, 06:42, said:

Don't bother with negative free bids. And nfb's do not apply here.

Huh? Of course you can play NFBs in this situation.

(Transfers are superior, of course.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users