BBO Discussion Forums: ATB missing 6C - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB missing 6C Not the same 6C as my other post :)

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-10, 09:11

At our table the bidding was:
(1C)-2S-(3D)-P
(3NT)-P-(4D)-P
(6C)-AP

This was the bidding of our team mates in EW.
4NT asked to choice 5 minor game, and so I don't really agree with East's pass.
But my main question is:
Do you agree with the 2 DBLs of East? Do you also play at this level that forcing pass and DBL shows extras?
Is Pass by East forcing and should he pass iso DBL?

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 09:35

lol

#3 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 09:58

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-May-10, 09:35, said:

lol
Can you explain this a bit more?
(e.g. How should EW bid this?)
Thanks,
Koen

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 10:06

Hi,

3D is forcing, we had this discussion, some disagreed, but for me,
forcing means 3D forces the partnership to play game.

Hence you are in a FP seq, and default FP agreements kick in.

I am not sure, you will find 6C after the psych, but you should not
end up playing 4NT.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 18:23

yet another hand where pard should open 1nt.

1nt=(2s)=3d(gf)=(4s)
p=p=?

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 19:06

E was willing to x 3n and 4d but passed over
4s---this should be a strong clue that E does
not have a lot of wasted spade values. That
makes our spade singelton (and extra values)
golden for slam..I would bid 6c and p can
correct to 6d if they wish. Yes we might miss
a grand this way but surely if we show this
much extra p wont have any trouble bidding
seven with a hand just slightly better than
ours.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 19:07

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-May-10, 09:35, said:

lol

too much to drink???? certainly not helpful

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-May-10, 22:30

View Postgszes, on 2012-May-10, 19:07, said:

too much to drink???? certainly not helpful

lol

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-May-10, 22:34

Seriously this is the expert bridge forum, we have a hand where a guy passed 4N and then we are asked to assign the blame. OP even says that 4N is pick a minor. Calling me drunk is pretty unfounded, maybe kgr will get more helpful replies if he respects the descriptions of the subforums. This kinda BS thread in the expert bridge forum 100 % deserves to be trolled.

#10 User is offline   dave_w 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-11, 00:46

It's a good thing that East doubled the 3NT bid - otherwise West wouldn't have known that he had an opening bid - maybe East had psyched first chair unfavourable.

And then they definitely aren't making 4 it's best that I double that with 2 small, so as not to give away the trump position when it goes round to partner and he doubles.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-May-11, 03:34

View Postdave_w, on 2012-May-11, 00:46, said:

It's a good thing that East doubled the 3NT bid - otherwise West wouldn't have known that he had an opening bid - maybe East had psyched first chair unfavourable.

I thought about this too. I wonder if double of 3NT should not show a desire to double 4. That would give you a few extra options once they finally get there. It is clear on this auction that North is messing about so why not use the additional space usefully? I guess a logical alternative is for double to show a weak NT opening, pass to show real clubs and bidding to be natural with extras. Or just normal FP stuff.

Seriously though, why did East pass 4NT? I agree somewhat with Justin that posting this as an ATB in the Expert forum is pretty weird. Why not a "How to bid these hands" in the I/A forum? It seems to me this is really what you want to know here.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   dave_w 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-11, 07:55

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-May-11, 03:34, said:

Seriously though, why did East pass 4NT? I agree somewhat with Justin that posting this as an ATB in the Expert forum is pretty weird. Why not a "How to bid these hands" in the I/A forum? It seems to me this is really what you want to know here.

I agree with Justin to some extent. But I think it's just miss guided. ATB is the wrong question. A "what is your FP agreements?" here and we have an expert discussion forum question.

Although the answer to that question is surely "my standard FP agreements - ie pass/double inversion or 'standard'". A question does arise as to whether pass and pull should be doubt about strain vs a slam try. And what does a double of a contract that the opponents can't play in mean when we are in a FP as opposed to pass (or bidding?).

There are some interesting questions here. Unfortunately the answer to most of them is "whatever you and partner have discussed". And if you haven't discussed your FP agreements in this much detail - well now is your chance.

ATB: 50/50. Discuss your FP agreements.

#13 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-11, 08:14

Seriously this is the expert bridge forum, we have a hand where a guy passed 4N and then we are asked to assign the blame. OP even says that 4N is pick a minor. Calling me drunk is pretty unfounded, maybe kgr will get more helpful replies if he respects the descriptions of the subforums. This kinda BS thread in the expert bridge forum 100 % deserves to be trolled.

JLOGIC is right.
Have y'all never seen "dancing about" before sacrificing in 4S?
This is ancient psyching.
If your bids don't expose this psyching, change what your bids mean.

#14 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-11, 08:59

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-May-10, 22:34, said:

The topic title didn't express my question well. West said that he would have bid 6 when East had bid 5m over 4NT, so yes; the blame is for passing 4NT:
"But my main question is:
Do you agree with the 2 DBLs of East? Do you also play at this level that forcing pass and DBL shows extras?
Is Pass by East forcing and should he pass iso DBL?"
Actually I don't think that you should have the same agreements as over a normal forcing pass (Pass-pull showing extras), because you can also bid 4C/4D as forcing (is it?).
I wondered what agreements experts have here and how they would bid these hands.

#15 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-May-11, 09:22

From what I understand the expert forum really is intended for people who consider themselves experts.

If you consider yourself intermediate or advanced and you want to know expert opinions on some topic, consider posting in the I/A forum.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#16 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-12, 02:01

View Posthan, on 2012-May-11, 09:22, said:

From what I understand the expert forum really is intended for people who consider themselves experts.

If you consider yourself intermediate or advanced and you want to know expert opinions on some topic, consider posting in the I/A forum.
I didn't know that only experts (or people who consider themselves experts) can post in this forum.
Oops..I did it again. Maybe they would better secure the forum so that only experts (or people who consider themselves experts) can post here and that their interesting discussions are not disturbed by non-experts.
BTW: Can I post in the beginner forum if it is simply an answer to a question and not educational material?

#17 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-12, 12:54

View Postkgr, on 2012-May-12, 02:01, said:

I didn't know that only experts (or people who consider themselves experts) can post in this forum.
Oops..I did it again. Maybe they would better secure the forum so that only experts (or people who consider themselves experts) can post here and that their interesting discussions are not disturbed by non-experts.
BTW: Can I post in the beginner forum if it is simply an answer to a question and not educational material?

I won't post a problem in the Expert Forum anymore.
Apparently it is reserved for "Experts Only" to initiate posts as well as reply to them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Expert-Class Bridge

Forum designated for expert bridge players to discuss more advanced topics.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I used to think it was good to post here to assure an "expert opinion".....
But by their reaction, these experts seem be insulted if a non-expert posts a problem here.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-May-13, 02:31

Just what do you think I/A or even N/B are for?, do you think people post there to seek for suboptimal opinions? lol

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-May-12, 12:54, said:

Expert-Class Bridge

Forum designated for expert bridge players to discuss more advanced topics.

This is just the problem, the forum title has nothing to do with the OP's skills nor the replier's level, it has to do with the readers, who will seek problems for a concrete level.

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-May-13, 02:44

Most peeple don't have a lot of experience dealing with psyches (or at least me), so I don't find any post of this kind to be irrelevant. I started reading this post without noticing or caring what forum it was posted about, and my first impression was that East was losing his precious time and space doubling. From what dawe said I think he believes something similar. East bids 4 and slam is reached. And you can later thank north for the free space he gave you for that.

#20 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 05:25

View PostFluffy, on 2012-May-13, 02:31, said:

Just what do you think I/A or even N/B are for?, do you think people post there to seek for suboptimal opinions? lol

This is just the problem, the forum title has nothing to do with the OP's skills nor the replier's level, it has to do with the readers, who will seek problems for a concrete level.

What is getting tiresome are the criticisms about the posters posting in the "wrong" forum .

"They" say the problem is either too advanced for the N/B or not advanced enough for the Expert Forum.

Geez.... just provide an answer to the poster's question(s), as he has posted in earnest.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users