• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guadeloupe EBU Blog 3

#1 User is offline   Avoidance 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-August-14, 08:03

EBU Blog 3
"The Dutch managed to top that though with a 25-4 loss to mighty Guadeloupe, possibly the most extraordinary
result seen in world bridge”

Current score (after 13 of 16 boards) England 4 Guadeloupe 25

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-14, 08:55

That was the final score, the difference being that the Netherlands are 39 VP ahead of England although fluffy is going to make sure that they don't qualify either.

A hugely disappointing showing from the England team and one that will make selection for the Bermuda Bowl team extremely difficult interesting.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-August-14, 14:52

View Postpaulg, on 2012-August-14, 08:55, said:

A hugely disappointing showing from the England team and one that will make selection for the Bermuda Bowl team extremely difficult interesting.

Free bakhshi. And Frances/Jallerton obv.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 15:20

Does anybody know why Guadeloupe (a part of the republic of France, as is Reunion) play bridge independently while their footballers (and athletes I think) play for France ?

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-August-14, 15:30

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-August-14, 15:20, said:

Does anybody know why Guadeloupe (a part of the republic of France, as is Reunion) play bridge independently while their footballers (and athletes I think) play for France ?

I will tell you as soon as you tell me why Scotland (a part of Great Britain, as is Wales) play bridge independently while their Go players play for Great Britain.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-August-14, 16:14

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-August-14, 15:30, said:

I will tell you as soon as you tell me why Scotland (a part of Great Britain, as is Wales) play bridge independently while their Go players play for Great Britain.

At the end of 1999 the English, Scottish and Welsh Bridge Unions won the right to have teams representing them in European and World events, instead of playing as Great Britain (or, technically, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

In essence it is down to the world governing bodies what they want to accept and there is no simple rule. For example, the four countries compete as a single entity in the Olympics but independently in world football.

In terms of bridge, I expect that the WBF and EBL prefer more teams at their events.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-August-14, 16:43

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-August-14, 15:30, said:

GB is an odd one, in football, the countries played separately before anybody else played the game, and it's stayed that way. We don't normally have an olympic football team because the other home nations see it as the first step on a slippery slope to one UK team. Note that any player born in Northern Ireland can opt to play for the republic instead at football, so the lines are pretty blurred there, and rugby is played with an all Ireland team, with players from the republic playing for the "British" team, the Lions.

In hockey, the home countries play separately for 4 years then become GB at the olympics.

In many sports, the home nations compete separately largely because they always have for a long time, newer sports (at least newer in terms of when we got serious at them) it's less clear.

#8 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-August-15, 03:17

There is little doubt that if bridge became an Olympic event then it would 'Great Britain' that would compete. I think it might take longer than four years to arrange the trials; it might take that long to pick the selectors.
The Beer Card

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-August-15, 04:57

View Postpaulg, on 2012-August-15, 03:17, said:

There is little doubt that if bridge became an Olympic event then it would 'Great Britain' that would compete. I think it might take longer than four years to arrange the trials; it might take that long to pick the selectors.

Anything Olympic has the precedent that we compete as GB. Had we started competing as separate countries, we'd probably have stuck that way, Hong Kong and Macau, now parts of China although with separate legislatures but competed separately in the past and still do.

The selection rules (sponsors ? hardly fitting for the olympic ideals) would be interesting too.

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-August-15, 06:32

Only sponsored teams would be able to afford to play in the trials, which would be held on some remote Scottish island accessible only by helicopter.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-15, 11:27

View PostAvoidance, on 2012-August-14, 08:03, said:

EBU Blog 3
"The Dutch managed to top that though with a 25-4 loss to mighty Guadeloupe, possibly the most extraordinary
result seen in world bridge”

Current score (after 13 of 16 boards) England 4 Guadeloupe 25

To be fair to the blogger, The Netherlands are the current holders of the Bermuda Bowl (which England weren't good enough to qualify for). Meanwhile, in the recent European Championships, when England were considered to have done well in finishing 4th, The Netherlands came 2nd.

So Guadelope would have every right to consider their 25-4 victory against The Netherlands to be a finer achievement than their 25-4 victory against England.

View Postpaulg, on 2012-August-14, 16:14, said:

At the end of 1999 the English, Scottish and Welsh Bridge Unions won the right to have teams representing them in European and World events, instead of playing as Great Britain (or, technically, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

My understanding is that Northern Ireland has always been part of Ireland (never Great Britan) for the purposes of European/World bridge events.

View Postpaulg, on 2012-August-15, 03:17, said:

Up until 1999, the British Bridge League had its own selectors, which seemed to work OK (at least relative to what we have now).

An Olympic team would be The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, of course.

#12 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-16, 02:14

View Postjallerton, on 2012-August-15, 11:27, said:

An Olympic team would be The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, of course.

Yeah, but what will happen when Scotland decides to become independent? (I tend to assume that will eventually happen)

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#13 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-August-16, 03:51

View PostNickRW, on 2012-August-16, 02:14, said:

Yeah, but what will happen when Scotland decides to become independent? (I tend to assume that will eventually happen)

But will anyone still be playing bridge?
The Beer Card

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users