• You cannot reply to this topic

7-5-1 How to bid

#1 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-30, 16:19

matchpoints. 2/1 gf

1nt = forcing

No special gadgets, suggesting special gadgets would be futile in this partnership.

#2 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-30, 16:48

the first bid is easy, 3, what happens now?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-30, 17:38

slam is very unlikelly, 3 is the best move to reach it, think of partner raising for example.

The problem with 3 is that it missdescribes our hand, something like 1-1NT-3-3NT-4 will often happen, do you think 4 shows a solid suit?, I am not quite sure, and I am a bit afraid of partner removing into 5.

Reaching a sensible slam and partner removing 4 into a dangerous 5 level contract are both very rare, I love to try for slams so would bid 3.

#4 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-30, 18:26

lol. slam is very unlikely? what? i guess grand is sort of unlikely but let's not even rule that out yet!
OK
bed

#5 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-30, 20:59

3 also overstates our values/defense. I wonder if 2 is better. It's extremely unlikely to get passed out and we can hopefully follow up with a jump to 4. I don't have much experiences bidding this kind of hand though so it might be a terrible plan.

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-April-30, 21:45

I have no problem with bidding 3 after 1 NT. The hand is a 3 loser hand. You can't tell the whole story, but partner will at least know you have a powerhouse or a player or both.

The problem with 2 is that partner can pass it with s minimum values and a stiff . 2 making 5 or more isn't going to be a very good result.

If partner bids 3 NT after 3 , I see no problem with bidding 4 . It has to show good s because with 7 non descript s, 4 could be directly bid over 1 NT.

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-April-30, 23:33

Slam is unlikely as partner figures to have a lot of red cards. however I do need to make a try and 3C looks like the best move.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-May-01, 04:27

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-April-30, 18:26, said:

slam is very unlikely?

If you mean this to me I will point that what I said was extremelly unlikelly is that we have a sensible bidding that ends up with slam bid with confidence, in other words having slam+ being able to bid it given the amount of useless red cards partner doesn't know they are useless.

#9 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 05:57

I might try 3 then 4 after partner's bid.

#10 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 10:02

Another 3-loser hand = another candidate for 2C opener? Give partner the CQ and out and 4S is absolutely fine.

3C is the obvious call now. Whether to bid 4S or 4C next I don't know - but I'd go with 4S because that's where we want to play if partner doesn't have (4-card) club support.

ahydra

#11 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-01, 10:30

View Postahydra, on 2012-May-01, 10:02, said:

Another 3-loser hand = another candidate for 2C opener? Give partner the CQ and out and 4S is absolutely fine.

3C is the obvious call now. Whether to bid 4S or 4C next I don't know - but I'd go with 4S because that's where we want to play if partner doesn't have (4-card) club support.

ahydra

This is about as far from a 2 opener as one can get. Lots of offense but only one defensive trick. If the auction gets competitve after a 2 opening there is no way you are ever going to introduce both of your suits and reach slam opposite a black ace and the Q (or QJ if partner has length in clubs).

Besides, in some jurisdictions it might be considered a psyche to open 2 on this hand.

By the way, 4 is absolutely fine on many hands when partner does not have the Q, whether or not 4 makes (which it will most of the time).

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-01, 10:45

What is with this thread? 3 looks easy, but I don't object to 4 either. Anything else looks patently wrong.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 10:56

View PostArtK78, on 2012-May-01, 10:30, said:

This is about as far from a 2 opener as one can get. Lots of offense but only one defensive trick. If the auction gets competitve after a 2 opening there is no way you are ever going to introduce both of your suits and reach slam opposite a black ace and the Q (or QJ if partner has length in clubs).

Besides, in some jurisdictions it might be considered a psyche to open 2 on this hand.

By the way, 4 is absolutely fine on many hands when partner does not have the Q, whether or not 4 makes (which it will most of the time).

Admittedly I didn't consider whether it's legal or not. It is legal in the EBU (just), which is where I play - not sure about other jurisdictions.

Surely the auction is more likely to get competitive after a 1x opening? For instance opps holding a huge red suit fit will find it after 1S-2red which could be made on a 2(54)2 11-count, whereas the same hand would not bid after 2C. I don't normally open 2C expecting to defend the hand :) and if partner makes a penalty X, I'll pull it to 4S. You're right in that it will be harder to show the clubs, but with that epic spade suit spades is surely where we're playing most of the time.

Lastly, I'd hate partner to pass 1S on xx xxxxx Qxx Qxx. Perhaps Fantoni and Nunes are onto something with their forcing 1-level openers?

ahydra

#14 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 15:54

Thx all, I was afraid 3 wasn't forcing and as I can make 4 with almost no help, I wasn't sure it was the correct call. 4 also seemed to seriously undervalue how little help this hand needed to make slam and as such I was stuck for a bid.

Regardless, if you are curious, over 3 partner will bid 3nt over which you will bid 4 which is all you can make. Partner indeed had no help.

#15 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-May-01, 16:03

I thought 3 was highly invitational but nf
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-May-01, 16:15

Opener's strong jump shift is not forcing? Since when?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-May-01, 19:44

View Postahydra, on 2012-May-01, 10:56, said:

Admittedly I didn't consider whether it's legal or not. It is legal in the EBU (just), which is where I play - not sure about other jurisdictions.

Surely the auction is more likely to get competitive after a 1x opening? For instance opps holding a huge red suit fit will find it after 1S-2red which could be made on a 2(54)2 11-count, whereas the same hand would not bid after 2C. I don't normally open 2C expecting to defend the hand :) and if partner makes a penalty X, I'll pull it to 4S. You're right in that it will be harder to show the clubs, but with that epic spade suit spades is surely where we're playing most of the time.

Lastly, I'd hate partner to pass 1S on xx xxxxx Qxx Qxx. Perhaps Fantoni and Nunes are onto something with their forcing 1-level openers?

ahydra

If your pd has this the opps have 23 HCP. 1S will not get passed. 2C is an awful opening.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#18 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-May-01, 23:53

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-May-01, 16:15, said:

Opener's strong jump shift is not forcing? Since when?

I'm thinking of 1 1n 3 I guess B-)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#19 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-May-01, 23:53

:P 4. To me its more important to maximize our chances to make our game than to investigate the very unlikely slam. Two things can go wrong with bidding 3: (1) we draw a road map for the defense, or (2) the opponents find a useful red suit contract.

#20 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-02, 03:52

View Postjdeegan, on 2012-May-01, 23:53, said:

:P 4. To me its more important to maximize our chances to make our game than to investigate the very unlikely slam. Two things can go wrong with bidding 3: (1) we draw a road map for the defense, or (2) the opponents find a useful red suit contract.

My gut tells me that with the auction so far, slam is probably already better then 50%?

Partner is more likely then not to have a black ace and that alone puts 6 into play. Adding anything extra in clubs greatly increases the chances.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users