• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double Checking

#1 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-03, 07:56

I'm pretty sure I made the correct ruling last night just wanted to be sure....

ACBL club game. North is the dealer but before North makes a call East pulls the stop card out of their bidding box and places it on the table. Before anything further happens, West tells East that it's not their turn to bid. My ruling was that no bid had actually taken place but that West was in possession of UI. I told North to make their call and that the auction would continue on normally from there. I told West that they needed to be very careful not to use the UI that they had due to the stop card being displayed and finally, I told N/S that if they felt that West did use the UI and that it damaged them that they should call me back. All good?
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-03, 08:01

View PostG_R__E_G, on 2012-May-03, 07:56, said:

ACBL club game. North is the dealer but before North makes a call East pulls the stop card out of their bidding box and places it on the table. Before anything further happens, West tells East that it's not their turn to bid. My ruling was that no bid had actually taken place but that West was in possession of UI. I told North to make their call and that the auction would continue on normally from there. I told West that they needed to be very careful not to use the UI that they had due to the stop card being displayed and finally, I told N/S that if they felt that West did use the UI and that it damaged them that they should call me back. All good?

Sounds good to me.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-03, 08:07

I think that East should be barred from using the stop card for the remainder of the auction.

:)

#4 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 08:28

View PostArtK78, on 2012-May-03, 08:07, said:

I think that East should be barred from using the stop card for the remainder of the auction.

:)

Lol - good idea. Maybe I just should have removed it from his bidding box altogether. :-) The main reason I ask is that N/S tried to tell me that East had "bid" and that the same rules as a bid out of turn should have applied. I, obviously, disagreed.
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 11:13

N/S were clearly wrong.

Bidding box regulation: A call is considered made when a bidding card is removed from the bidding box and held touching or nearly touching the table or maintained in such a position to indicate that the call has been made.
Two cards in the bidding box — Alert and Stop — are not bidding cards.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-03, 12:34

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-May-03, 11:13, said:

N/S were clearly wrong. Two cards in the bidding box — Alert and Stop — are not bidding cards.

Some boxes also have a "Tournament Director" card. I've never seen anyone use it, though.

#7 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 13:48

You may have expressed it differently at the table, but I would be wary of instructing a pair to call me back if they thought the opponents had used UI. That makes any return call appear to be an accusation. More neutral language would be preferred. Or simply return yourself at the end of the hand and ask what the result was. It will be pretty obvious if N/S is upset about something or if W did something weird.

#8 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-May-03, 13:50

View Postjeffford76, on 2012-May-03, 13:48, said:

You may have expressed it differently at the table, but I would be wary of instructing a pair to call me back if they thought the opponents had used UI.

I agree with this.

However, "call me back if you feel damaged" is the most common instruction I've heard given in these situations (ACBL).
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#9 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 14:27

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-03, 13:50, said:

I agree with this.

However, "call me back if you feel damaged" is the most common instruction I've heard given in these situations (ACBL).

I think this is an example of "more neutral language".

#10 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-May-03, 14:43

View Postjeffford76, on 2012-May-03, 14:27, said:

I think this is an example of "more neutral language".

Certainly more neutral than what OP said. I still feel this suggests "...damaged -- by someone's use of the UI." But I don't have a suggestion for an improvement, so...
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-May-03, 15:36

View Postbarmar, on 2012-May-03, 12:34, said:

Some boxes also have a "Tournament Director" card. I've never seen anyone use it, though.

I think some of the directors around here removed all those from the boxes. :P
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 01:42

Before anything further happens, West tells East that it's not their turn to bid.

This part of the course of events has not been discussed. I think we can call this "drawing attention to an irregularity" rather than "illegal communication", so I think it is OK.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 03:23

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-03, 14:43, said:

Certainly more neutral than what OP said. I still feel this suggests "...damaged -- by someone's use of the UI." But I don't have a suggestion for an improvement, so...

How about "Call me back if you feel there might have been any damage"? That way you are asking them to call you back even if they are not sure, so (hopefully) no accusation is even suggested.
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-May-04, 07:31

View Postiviehoff, on 2012-May-04, 01:42, said:

This part of the course of events has not been discussed. I think we can call this "drawing attention to an irregularity" rather than "illegal communication", so I think it is OK.

Well, it looks to me like an attempt to prevent an irregularity.
--------------------

#15 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 08:05

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-May-04, 07:31, said:

I agree, it does look just rather like that. But the law only talks about attempts to prevent irregularities when it is dummy that does it. Dummy is explicitly permitted to do that in certain limited circumstances. In other cases, I think an attempt to prevent partner's irregularity must be inappropriate communication.

However in the present case one irregularity has already been committed. Thus partner is permitted to draw attention to it. Although the words do look like trying to prevent an irregularity, nevertheless they also look like just the kind of words that would naturally be used to draw attention to the irregularity already committed.

So that is why I compared inappropriate communication with drawing attention to an irregularity, and decided that on balance this is permitted as the latter.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-04, 08:52

Trying to prevent an irregularity would be if you see him reaching for the bidding box, and remind him that it's not his turn. While this does technically seem to be an infraction, it seems like only a SB would make an issue of it.

#17 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 10:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-May-04, 07:31, said:

You cannot prevent an irregularity after it has been comitted (and completed). What you do then is calling attention to the irregularity.

#18 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 11:01

View Postiviehoff, on 2012-May-04, 08:05, said:

I agree, it does look just rather like that. But the law only talks about attempts to prevent irregularities when it is dummy that does it. Dummy is explicitly permitted to do that in certain limited circumstances. In other cases, I think an attempt to prevent partner's irregularity must be inappropriate communication.

However in the present case one irregularity has already been committed. Thus partner is permitted to draw attention to it. Although the words do look like trying to prevent an irregularity, nevertheless they also look like just the kind of words that would naturally be used to draw attention to the irregularity already committed.

So that is why I compared inappropriate communication with drawing attention to an irregularity, and decided that on balance this is permitted as the latter.

Law 9A3 said:

When an irregularity has occurred dummy may not draw attention to it during the play period but may do so after play of the hand is concluded. However any player, including dummy, may attempt to prevent another player’s committing an irregularity (but for dummy subject to Laws 42 and 43).
(My enhancement)

#19 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 11:08

View Postbarmar, on 2012-May-04, 08:52, said:

Trying to prevent an irregularity would be if you see him reaching for the bidding box, and remind him that it's not his turn. While this does technically seem to be an infraction, it seems like only a SB would make an issue of it.

I agree with your analysis of that specific case, but it doesn't necessarily follow to other cases. Inappropriate communication, including trying to prevent an irregularity, gives rise to unauthorised information. Sometimes that UI may be significant.

Saying "having none, partner" is trying to prevent a (further) irregularity of a revoke being uncorrected. It is something that has from time to time been explicitly permitted, or explicitly prohibited. Under the present laws of it being explicitly permitted (with possible regional election otherwise), we may still be concerned about the UI which arises from why partner chose to ask at that moment. Many partners only ask when their count suggests what they see is "impossible".

In the case of unauthorised information bringing someone's attention to their mispulled bid, precedent is that the unintended bid may be corrected without penalty, regardless of the manner of attention being brought. Though some people worry about whether it is really proper or fair. I wouldn't put it high up my list of things that the lawmakers need to think again about.

#20 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 11:12

View Postpran, on 2012-May-04, 11:01, said:

Law 9A3

You are quite correct. I overlooked that, despite searching the lawbook for "prevent". So I've been wittering nonsense. My apologies.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users