BBO Discussion Forums: Whenever a player thinks for an extortionate time - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whenever a player thinks for an extortionate time they then always do the wrong thing

#21 User is offline   epeeist 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-November-11, 09:21

Generally, at least in online bridge (and especially in individual tournaments!) it seems to me that the longer a partner thinks, the more likely he or she is to make the wrong call... :D It's probably true for me also...though I think needing a long time to think is often the sign of an unclear bid or situation not covered by bidding system/partnership agreement. So I would assume the better the player/partnership, the more likely thinking is actually productive, rather than wondering what p's last bid meant... :)

It also causes stress, when they're thinking a long time on say a Blackwood response, you start to think "did they forget we agreed to rkcb and are trying to remember..." etc.

That said, I disagree to a limited extent with another poster's complaint about people who take too long to think when their bid is obvious/automatic. If it's truly automatic, then that is one of the few times in the bidding when one can pause to think, e.g. about a situation that may be coming up later in the bidding ("Will I double or bid 4 if opponents bid 4...") without giving one's p unauthorized information; think before the situation arises. Also, I try always to take a few seconds for any bid, even before passing, trying to keep all my bidding in tempo.

However, except for some relays, how many bids are truly automatic? Even Blackwood, isn't there at least a modicum of thought as to whether Blackwood or slam-invitational or to play (rare but sometimes retreat from p's 4-level suit bid) rkcb or normal, and if rkcb, what suit was agreed, etc. For transfers, it's possible to "super-accept" (bid one higher than necessary, e.g. 3 instead of 2) with a particularly good hand for that suit, etc. So even on a so-called "automatic" bid, some thinking may be required (and thus, there's a risk of giving UI).

#22 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-November-11, 10:01

slothy and proud of it said:

Well, if it were true, Jimmy Boy, i can only say that all the proDarwinian theorists will be faced with a certain contradiction :)

huh? dar-who?

slothy said:

The only reason why Americans pepper conversation wiz ze Alamo (nothing to do with this but i want to make a certain point) is coz its one of the few battles they have little difficuty in spelling...

:D

not true!! i can spell n'awlins
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users