• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

doubling 5NT for free

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-28, 04:59

Maybe on the forums 5NT bids happen more than on real life, and this is not worth the memory it requires, anyway.

When the opponents bid 5NT as pick a slam, or GSF, or whatever that is not a king asking, they are normally not going to like to play there. Risk for doubling it for free seems very very low. If you have codified double for 5NT to ask for a certain lead (specially combined with a lightner/not lightner later) you are going to win a lot more using it that you are going to lose.

For example there have been problems with lightner doubles that ask partner to lead a suit because I have AQx or AKxx on a suit he doesn´t suspect, yet hehas problems finding it because he is looking for me to ruff something. This could help to clarify.

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-28, 08:27

When you try that, you should better be sure 5NT isn't pick-a-slam with 6NT as one of the options!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-28, 10:58

I don't think this is safe at all. But it's still a creative and interesting idea.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-28, 15:47

I think it's fine to make agreements what a double of 5NT would mean. But I wouldn't make agreements about inferences from a lack of double - it might be obvious to one partner that doubling 5NT is safe, but not obvious to the other.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-28, 17:10

View Postcherdano, on 2012-April-28, 08:27, said:

When you try that, you should better be sure 5NT isn't pick-a-slam with 6NT as one of the options!

It can create some ethical problem. If you look uninterested in opp's auction when they are in low level, and ask the meaning of 5NT. It conveys illegal information to partner about which lead you want.

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-29, 01:54

View Postfrank0, on 2012-April-28, 17:10, said:

It can create some ethical problem. If you look uninterested in opp's auction when they are in low level, and ask the meaning of 5NT. It conveys illegal information to partner about which lead you want.

You would have the same problem if you were considering a Lightner double too. The solution is easy - find out what their bids mean as they occur, instead of waiting until the end.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users