1    2    2    3
 Pass  4    Pass  Pass
 Pass  

SJ SA S2 S3
H4 H5 HQ HK
S6 S8 SQ S5
D8 DA D4 D2

Hi,
This looked easy enough 2, 1, 1 loser, I planned to get rid of 1 or maybe 2 losers on my .

All went well until T5 when I pulled 2nd round of trump and found trump split 1-4.

Plan blown, I carried on blindly and went -1 (hindsight, I think it could have still made with finesse and over trumping RHO.)

Should I have planned for the bad trump split, how would an expert think?

tyia
jillybean

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-December-31, 19:41

Your opponent's did a lot of bidding (AT UNFAVORABLE VULNERABILITY) with very few hcp.. KQJ, AK, Q = 15 points. This begins to suggest distribution. The JACK was an interesting lead. I assume this is not from KQJ. So EAST has spade QUEEN. What else for the raise? I doubt I would get it right, but, i would at least consider, win second spade, low heart to jack, to see what they lead. if they try to give me spade ruff, i ruff in my hand, and play diamond queen to King and try low heart. If east follows, i might follow my hunch that they do have distribution for bidding and hook the eight. But that seems a little deep and would feel sheepish if WEST had AK9 tripleton.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-December-31, 20:29

The initial plan was ok.
After the bad trump break you had a chance to make it, and it was time to rethink, even harder then before, and not feel bad for not thinking about it initially, what you need to do is picture east hand that will make it possible to make the game.
After the A of diamond and playing the Q of heart the heart position is E:10x
S:Q9xx, with east on the lead.
since you have no trump in the north hand the only way you will make this "finnese" is but ruffing all you 9xx of heart, to do this you need 3 entries to dummy, east can help by playing spade which give us a free rufff and now we will need only 2 entries, or play diamond or club anyway will need the club finnese for the entry.
Now for this special trump finnese to work we need to cash our non trump tricks in time, because if we dont cash them early enough, east will discard the suit which we have winners and later we wont be able to catch them since he will ruff.
For all this to work we need luck having east with a good shape for us.
So lets picture a hand that will make this dream possible
imagine east having 4423 would not because when we will try to ruff a diamond east will drop a club.
Lets try 4432 still not good we wont be able to take our clubs.
3433 is much less likely in the bidding but lets try it anyway.
This one could accturally work if east helps us with a spade ruff, we ruff the spade , take Q of D , club to the 10, second diamond ruff, now K of club, and club to the A, and we are home with our last ruff.
another possibility that we can make with the spade ruff help is 3424.
And last 3442 , we can still make, droping a club on the diamond.
After analyzing alot you might find the solution , or on bad days find that there isnt a solution but you must think hard to get there. Here we found out that to make it we need east to play a spade back, and have only 3 spades and 2/3/4 diamond.
To make this work on all 2/3/4 diamonds we need to be a bit more carfull after the spad ruff, to play the Q of diamond , then club to the J, and a diamond ruff, now if east was 24 or 33 in minors AK club and last ruff to get home.
If wast is 42 we play club to the 10, K diamond droping the A of club, and last ruff in hand.
With more expirence we would know that for this kind of play to work we cant have more winners in the minors then east got cards cards in the minors then east which will make it easier to know we cant make it if he got 4 spades (which leave him less minors then we have winners) and can only make it if he has 3 spades but let us cut the extra one.

#4 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-December-31, 21:39

i don't think i'd simply give up a spade trick... take A, diamond to A, Q to K, toss spade on J... true they'll probably break 4/2 but i'm throwing a loser... and they might break 3/3
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#5 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-December-31, 22:01

luke warm, on Dec 31 2004, 10:39 PM, said:

i don't think i'd simply give up a spade trick... take A, diamond to A, Q to K, toss spade on J... true they'll probably break 4/2 but i'm throwing a loser... and they might break 3/3

You might be right, its not easy to say which is better, your line is good when diamonds are 3-3 or when you can find the club . If this 33 or finding the Q club is better then the chances or 32 or 9 sgl heart then your right.
At mp your line is clearly better.

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2005-January-01, 02:39

Thanks, here's the full hand, I need to digest the replies :)

Scoring: IMP

West North East South

1    2    2    3
 Pass  4    Pass  Pass
 Pass  

SJ SA S2 S3
H4 H5 HQ HK
S6 S8 SQ S5
D8 DA D4 D2
HJ S7 H6 HA

#7 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-01, 07:09

You would make with luke's line, if you will finnese right in clubs.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users