BBO Discussion Forums: BBO hand of the Week -- Week Seven - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO hand of the Week -- Week Seven October 31 though November 6, 2004

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-October-30, 18:18

This is a thread place holder for hands that are played Starting Sunday October 31st. Simply reply to this topic with a link to hands you want to nominate for consideration.

Be sure to vote in the week five contest. There is still plenty of time to submit hands for the week six contest (time frame ends Saturaday for play, and you have until a week from tomorrow to submit hands). Find hands you are proud of and submit them.

Ben
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   junyi_zhu 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-November-04, 13:55

The Hand

Scoring: IMP

This is a hand I played with my partner Qing Yang against Hansa Narasimhan and
Irina Levitina in a set game on Nov. 3. The bidding was rather straight forward: 2 was natural weak two opening and my 2 got doubled.
Irina led A and K, noticed her partner gave high low in hearts, she switched a diamond
(a low heart would kill the contract here), which I had to duck, otherwise, e-w would have communication in diamonds. After the duck, the contract is virtually cold.
Hansa did well by switching a club, which I won in hand; and here came the second key play: I have to play 9 to pin down Hansa's 8, which did pin down 8. now I cashed A to eliminate Irina's exit card, and played another spade, which Irina ducked, but it made no difference. now I have the whole count of the hand, Irina had 5-4-2-2 shape, and I made the third key decision to drop down her Q and soon claimed the contract. This contract was indeed defeatable, however the winning defence wasn't very obvious.

#3 User is offline   PriorKnowledge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-04, 15:08

Instead of ducking the KS, why can't North play the AS and then KH, getting 2 more spades to go with the previous 4 tricks.

#4 User is offline   junyi_zhu 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-04, 19:18

PriorKnowledge, on Nov 4 2004, 09:08 PM, said:

Instead of ducking the KS, why can't North play the AS and then KH, getting 2 more spades to go with the previous 4 tricks.

she can still only get two trumps even if she played a top heart to force me to ruff.
I get 4 sapdes, 1 heart, one diamond and two clubs instead. after the diamond switch, the contract was cold.

#5 User is offline   PriorKnowledge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-November-05, 10:39

right, sorry. looked at it too fast. well played

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-November-08, 09:37

Just so there will be some comepetition, and to encourage others to submit, let me give this little tame 1NT contract I played against two EXPERT players, SusieQ and dank.

http://bridgebase.lunarpages.com/cgi-bin/h...etchlin=8519801

Scoring: IMP

West North East South

-     -     -     1NT
 Pass  Pass  Pass  

Two hearts is a better contract, but after 1NT it is somewhat hard to reach, especially as this was a pickup partnership.

S3 S8 SK SQ <-- Fourth best "standard leads", unblock not necessary, but gives the impression I want to reach dummy for some reason.

S6 ST S2 SJ <-- the spade 2 shows five, and they keep communication open, excellent idea... I said they were good.

H6 H4 HQ HJ <-- Heart to the Queen, looks to WEST like a finessee

HA D2 H2 H9 <-- Heart ACE, completes the image of a finessee, "the reason for unblock". The combination of plays suggest. The nine of hearts may suggest a diamond values instead of clubs. I took it that way, This may not be clear to susieQ at trick four, but when the heart ten wins, all will be shown.

H3 D5 HT H5 <--- Another diamond discard. I think I have a reasonable count. Suisie is 5-1-4-3 as it seems unlikely that she would not have thrown a club with four and kept diamond for the exit.

H7 H8 HK D6 <-- Endplay coming after all these diamond pitches

D4 DJ DA D9 <-- First cash the diamond (and gain access to dummy)

S7 S5 C5 S9 <-- exit a spade. They will cash their spades and have to open up clubs for me. This way, I make two club tricks, as long as club honors are split.

SA D7 C9 D3
S4 C2 DQ D8
C4 C7 CJ CA <-- what I was playing for, the club lead.
CT CK C8 C3
C6 CQ DK DT

Ok, let's be honest, others just lead a club towards the Queen, with the king onside, they made two also. Somehow, I think this line was better.

Ben
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users