• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2-way 'Walsh xfers'?

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-24, 15:48

Related to the topic here, I was wondering if anyone had heard of systems where eg 1C 1D is *either* Hs or some other hand type.

It seems like it could take a lot of pressure off the other bids, but will obviously put you in a difficult spot if LHO now enters the auction (and maybe makes more hassle for the continuations than it's worth? - seems like it would inevitably lead to missing a few 2H contracts). Has anyone tried any form of this? What were your experiences?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 03:03

Adam (awm) seems to be the forum expert on this style. I think he plays it himself and has certainly recommended it to others with plenty of details for the follow-ups. If he does not reply here directly then I would suggest messaging him.

When comparing different response structures the style of opening can be quite important too - over a Fantunes-style 1 opening you are going to have a GF hand alot more often than in Acol. Two other styles of responses you might compare are Moscito-style, with 1 as any GF hand (10+) and semi-positives; and 1 as any invite or better (7+) with other bids weak including a 1NT response as a weak hand with diamonds.

I cannot tell you how each of these compares for the specific system you are designing though. They all have pros and cons. One thing I am certain of is that transfers are the simplest 'good' solution which is why I suggested them first.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 07:50

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-April-25, 03:03, said:

Adam (awm) seems to be the forum expert on this style. I think he plays it himself and has certainly recommended it to others with plenty of details for the follow-ups. If he does not reply here directly then I would suggest messaging him.

When comparing different response structures the style of opening can be quite important too - over a Fantunes-style 1 opening you are going to have a GF hand alot more often than in Acol. Two other styles of responses you might compare are Moscito-style, with 1 as any GF hand (10+) and semi-positives; and 1 as any invite or better (7+) with other bids weak including a 1NT response as a weak hand with diamonds.

Thanks. Do you know of any online docs that describe the Moscito-style positive/semi-positive continuations?

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-April-25, 08:15

Page 6 onwards of this pdf file from Dan's website has the basics.

#5 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 08:33

You have me confused with someone else; likely rbforster. I play 1d natural in most partnerships; 1d double negative or GF relay in one strong club partnership.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-April-25, 08:48

I think I got "transfer or strong" confused with "double negative or strong" although we have definitely had some discussions here about the former. Presumably the latter would also be a suitable method over a Fantunes-style 1 opening too.

#7 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 11:21

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-April-25, 08:15, said:

Page 6 onwards of this pdf file from Dan's website has the basics.

Thanks, that looks interesting. The main downside apart from susceptibility to competition over the first three responses looks like it would be missing 4-4 major fits when responder is balanced 0-9. I don't really have a strong sense of how big a loss that is. Presumably significantly worse at MPs than IMPs?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users