BBO Discussion Forums: bidding + declarer play. Cayne #7 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bidding + declarer play. Cayne #7

#1 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-23, 09:13

Here is another hand from Cayne#7:

pn|jec,han,fontanini,cherdano|st||md|3S467TKH47TADTC2JA,S35H3568D79KAC478,S289JQAH9JKD34C6Q,|rh||ah|Board 5|sv|n|mb|1S|mb|2N|mb|4D|mb|5D|mb|p|mb|p|mb|5H|mb|p|mb|5S|mb|6D|mb|p|mb|p|mb|6S|mb|7D|mb|d|mb|p|mb|p|mb|p|pg||pc|SA|pc|D2|pc|S4|pc|S3|pg||pc|D5|pc|DT|pc|DA|pc|D3|pg||pc|D7|pc|D4|pc|D6|pc|H7|pg||pc|C7|pc|C6|pc|C3|pc|CJ|pg||pc|HA|pc|H3|pc|H9|pc|H2|pg||pc|H4|pc|H5|pc|HK|pc|HQ|pg||pc|CQ|pc|CK|pc|CA|mc|9|

Something went wrong here.

There were several interesting decisions in the auction. I's hard to argue with 2NT, and my 5D seems right as well. 6D looks strange to me, it seems like they are going to stop in 5S after an auction where they were guessing. Then 7D, they were still guessing, it is right to bid 7 or should we leave it up to partner?

The play was interesting too. Had they played another round of hearts or spades at trick 7 I would have had a nasty guess. Should I ruff, go to hand and play another club, risking a complete disaster if south had all the honors? Or should I bang down the club king at this point? Or should I have played a club to ace at trick 4 to avoid this problem?

I sort of made up my mind at trick 4 to play north for Jx or Qx and not for the ace so I would have banged down the king at trick 8. At least that would avoid going for 1400.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-23, 09:26

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-23, 09:37

Closed room bidding:

I felt my 4 was perhaps a mild overbid and was consequently a bit relieved when the opps saved in 7. I have serious doubts about whether I would have guessed the hearts in 6.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-23, 09:42

How do I post the hand Michael?

- hrothgar

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-23, 10:08

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-23, 09:37, said:

I felt my 4 was perhaps a mild overbid and was consequently a bit relieved when the opps saved in 7. I have serious doubts about whether I would have guessed the hearts in 6.

4 looked normal to me.

I expect you would have got the hearts wrong, but who cares? At this vulnerability they'll usually save, so you can bid slam even when it's not making.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-23, 10:40

I would have bid 6 with yours the first time, even though its hard to quibble with 5. Most of the time its a small loss or a small gain, but occasionally it can be a nice pickup when they misjudge. At the other table, West's x of 4 is terrible, and gives NS more options, not less.

I didn't care for Arend's 6 nor 7 call. The specs were careful to point out that Sementa would get a good count on the hand and blow to Qx if he passed although Justin thought Sementa might get hearts right if Arend doesn't sac - so who knows?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-23, 10:46

I agree with Justin, but perhaps Arend should leave the decision to me. He has the club king and the heart queen in suits I didn't bid, and I could easily have had more defense (for example: the heart jack!). Perhaps I should have bid 7D over 6S though.

I noticed on the first hand already that Arend was not going to let me make the decisions that night. I figured out what was going on, hopped up with my heart behind dummy, but Arend rudely overtook it and played a spade. Of course Arend knew that this could never cost, but it is a sign of bad manners and a poor upbringing.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users