Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO vs JEC # 7 Board 16

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-22, 20:41

Your only chance is K or Kx or Kxx of hearts with West. At this table, declarer didn't have to guess.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-23, 01:05

Your point is...?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-April-23, 01:09

And your point ? I mean if you are going to ask something, give one hand and ask so we can all enjoy, not only you are making those boards non postable anymore but also i dont get your point. We all have the access to boards that were played.

EDIT : lol u wrote b4 me bro

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-23, 01:05, said:

Your point is...?

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 02:31

It was more interesting at our table, where it went
1 pass pass dbl
pass 2NT pass 3NT
Michael threw a diamond and a spade on the clubs, then guessed to lead J, playing for the suit to be 3-3 rather than 2=4.

It looks better to throw two spades, as Fontanini did. That way you can find out the diamond layout before touching hearts. Say you do that, so at the critical point you know that opener started with five clubs and three diamonds. They play a 14+-17 notrump, so he probably doesn't have a balanced hand with both spade honours. With a 6-count, the other hand would have responded. Hence you know that their hands are one of these:
(1) Axx Kx xxx A10xxx = Kxx xxxx xx Qxxx (30 combinations)
(2) Ax Kxx xxx A10xxx = Kxxx xxx xx Qxxx (40 combinations)
(3) Axxx K xxx A10xxx = Kx 98xxx xx Qxxx (4 combinations)
(4) AKxx K xxx A10xxx = xx 98xxx xx Qxxx (6 combinations)
though they might have responded on (2) or (3).

(2) involves more even breaks of the small cards than the others, which favours leading the jack. Against that, if there's any possibility that they'd respond on (2), that would swing it in favour of a small one.

Very close, anyway.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 05:41

View Postgnasher, on 2012-April-23, 02:31, said:

Michael threw a diamond and a spade on the clubs, then guessed to lead J, playing for the suit to be 3-3 rather than 2=4.

Also I can guess to finesse the 7 on the third round if hearts were K9=xxxx or K8=xxxx.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-23, 05:51

That's a good point Michael. Andy's point that you could have played 3 rounds of diamonds by discarding spades instead is also a good point. In the end it was a guess at your table, a guess our opponents did not have.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-23, 08:57

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-23, 05:41, said:

Also I can guess to finesse the 7 on the third round if hearts were K9=xxxx or K8=xxxx.

That gains you twelve 3235 shapes, at a cost of four 2335s, so leading the jack seems best.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-April-23, 11:15

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-23, 01:05, said:

Your point is...?

I kibbed your table on this hand. I did not see how they could make 3N at the other table unless they guessed the heart layout which seemed unlikely. When I looked at the hand record, I saw they had more info than you. But yeah, this was probably obvious to everyone.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#9 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-23, 11:57

There was a lot of randomness, this hand is an example. Sometimes responding 1D will make it tougher for them. Here it made it easier. I don't think I like 1D, the colors are wrong, the values are soft and the hearts are bad. Still, it could easily work out very well.

The 3S opening on seven solid white against red seemed very strange to me. But it worked out well.

They bid 1S - p - 2H on xx Q9xxx AK J10xx, while my partner bid 1NT. For us 2H is not an option, but I don't know what system they were playing. They ended up in the very light but well fitting 4H.

There were also a number of guesses, some of them went their way and some of them went ours. Cayne misguessed the trumps in 6D (did anybody tell him: nine never?). I misguessed the play in 4S. Andy misguessed the play in 5DX.

But in my opinion the real reason we had no chance of winning was that we many more dumb mistakes. I'm thinking about the two misdefended doubled contracts, and our horrible auction to 4S missing a grand slam. There were more.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#10 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-April-23, 12:44

View Posthan, on 2012-April-23, 11:57, said:

They bid 1S - p - 2H on xx Q9xxx AK J10xx, while my partner bid 1NT. For us 2H is not an option, but I don't know what system they were playing. They ended up in the very light but well fitting 4H.

I posted that one and then I deleted my post. I did not understand why E went to 4H after W showed a minimum with 3 hearts.

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 14:07

View Posty66, on 2012-April-23, 12:44, said:

I posted that one and then I deleted my post. I did not understand why E went to 4H after W showed a minimum with 3 hearts.

As I understood it 2 was game-forcing. This might be a bit hard to believe looking at the hand but if that's the system you're playing then you have to stick to it.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 16:03

View Posty66, on 2012-April-23, 12:44, said:

I did not understand why E went to 4H after W showed a minimum with 3 hearts.

Because it makes.

#13 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-April-23, 16:12

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-23, 14:07, said:

As I understood it 2 was game-forcing. This might be a bit hard to believe looking at the hand but if that's the system you're playing then you have to stick to it.

Lol are you sure? That's quite a lucky result for bidding 2H then.

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-23, 16:31

I think their convention card describes their basic system as "Modified 2/1".

#15 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-23, 16:34

Modified? Maybe 2 isn't forcing.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-April-23, 17:57

Deleted
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 17:59

llande says no 2h is not gf.

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-24, 00:32

I think Llande should ask his team to make the convention card less misleading then. Their convention card also showed different carding from what they say they play.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users