• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you regret passing? BBF vs. JEC #7 board 9

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-22, 16:24

What do you think partner has, and are you going to make a move?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   fuburules3 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-22, 16:37

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-22, 16:24, said:

What do you think partner has, and are you going to make a move?

I would play that you are not allowed to bid on here unless you think you have slam. A good explanation of how I would play it is given by FrancesHinden here:

http://www.bridgebas...8-3nt-overcall/

Not sure if you should bid on given this though (I don't think I would).

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 16:51

prefer to open 1d...Ipass now.

#4 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-22, 17:51

Clear pass, Partner has probably solid minor +A of. E opened 2 second seat vulnerable with jack high, he will have some values if he is not complete lunatic, which lowers the chances that we can make slam. KQ oposite Ax is a big waste.

I wouldnt open this poor 11 count with no good suit.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-April-22, 22:07

mgoetze writes "What do you think partner has, and are you going to make a move?"

IMO 4 = 10, Pass = 9.
Partner could bid 2N with a flat 15-18; or double and then bid 3N with a flat 19+; so he is likely to have a long strong minor.
e.g. A Kx Qxx AKxxxxx.or better
I reckon that you are worth a mild slam try.
You are a passed hand. Hence (assuming that you play weak twos), 4 should be a cue bid for a minor, rather than suggesting a major contract.
Partner may not welcome your try: sometimes you will punish his enterprise; but he should not expect much more than you have.
With the above hand, for example, he may may be able to subside in a makeable 4N or 5. With a bit extra, however, slam is possible.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 00:56

Pass or 4NT(invite)

Put KQ to somewhere else and i have a perfect 4NT bid. With this i am not so confident about 4NT tbh.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 01:00

Hum I think I forgot to mention that 2 was 5+ spades 5+ minor weak.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-April-23, 01:03

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-23, 01:00, said:

Hum I think I forgot to mention that 2 was 5+ spades 5+ minor weak.

Sorry i didnt know that.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-23, 01:06

Yeah I should have wrote it in my first post, was just a bit tired when posting these hands after the match yesterday.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-April-23, 02:53

4NT, invite.

In my regular partnership I could bid 4 to find out whether it is very strong balanced or a strong single-suiter, but absent such methods I am too good to pass and 4NT should be safe enough.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 06:26

I had AJ10 Q86 AK642 A3. I think 3NT is right on this type of hand because it leaves LHO with a guess about the lead. If you start with double and partner bids Lebensohl you put the two-suiter on lead, which is bad unless partner has a positional club stop. With LHO on lead he's likely to lead a spade, not wanting to risk choosing the wrong minor.

Obviously the main thing is to be in agreement about what it shows. It sounds as though Michael and some others would expect rather more for this bid.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 06:48

View Postgnasher, on 2012-April-24, 06:26, said:

I had AJ10 Q86 AK642 A3. I think 3NT is right on this type of hand

To be honest I thought your hand was more at the top end of a 2NT overcall, especially in 3rd seat.

Of course it's a bit unlucky that 4NT with a combined 29 HCP had almost no play.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-24, 07:31

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-24, 06:48, said:

Of course it's a bit unlucky that 4NT with a combined 29 HCP had almost no play.

Now there I disagree. With a combined 29-count where we're known to have such horrible duplication in spades, it's not at all surprising to find that the limit is nine tricks. If you thought my minimum was a balanced 18- or 19-count, I think you had a clearcut pass.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 07:40

View Postgnasher, on 2012-April-24, 07:31, said:

Now there I disagree. With a combined 29-count where we're known to have such horrible duplication in spades, it's not at all surprising to find that the limit is nine tricks. If you thought my minimum was a balanced 18- or 19-count, I think you had a clearcut pass.

Given that the opening was 2-suited I would have thought Jxxx or Axx would have been a perfectly reasonable spade holding also.

Anyway the main problem was that I was not sure whether you would always overcall 3NT with the range above a 2NT overcall (which I think should include almost all 18s), or sometimes/always double-then-3NT.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#15 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 10:17

I didn't see this hand but it is difficult
to imagine slam with all those quacks. I would
pass 3n but I would consider a 4n raise to be
a bit less than average. Giving up 4c/d/h as
natural bids is a poor idea IMO.
pass = 10 4n= 4

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-April-24, 23:58

View Postgnasher, on 2012-April-24, 07:31, said:

duplication is not so clear. Neither only 29 hcp.

But anyway, i agree with the 3NT bid in your example. And as i said in my first reply, i may or may not bid 4NT but with the orignal hand i probably would not feel so secure doing it.

#17 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-25, 05:32

The duplication in spades must be very likely when you have KQ tight, LHO shows length and partner shows a stopper. These 5 HCP are certainly not going to help setting up a lot of tricks.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 16:20

I think KQ in spades are good fitting cards, but given the poor spades opener has we are going to a thin slam against a 6-5 most of the time, this means bad breaks ahead.

Looking at the full hand now I think Kx would be better than KQ.

#19 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-April-26, 07:48

Good fitting cards? lol.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users