BBO Discussion Forums: The Monkey Thought it Was All In Fun - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Monkey Thought it Was All In Fun minor ethical dilemma

#1 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-April-19, 19:49

I was kibitzing a couple of my friends earlier tonight at the local club. During the second round, their opponents were a couple of friendly gentlemen playing a Precision variant. On the last board of the round, one of them dealt and opened 2D, which was alerted and explained as "6-11 HCP, 5-4 in the majors either way." My friends were unable to cope, and stumbled into 4C off one, when 3NT was where they wanted to be.

The 2D bid, as described, is illegal under the GCC. However, my friends, not being directors themselves, were not aware of this. Would you bring this to their attention? To the attention of the director? FWIW, I am familiar with Law 76.B.5, which states, "A spectator at the table shall not draw attention to any aspect of the game." On the other hand, the laws regarding spectators are enforced quite loosely at our club; conversation is the norm, although kibs are expected to remain silent and impassive during the actual play of the hand. I suppose the "correct" thing to do is not to mention it until after the conclusion of the session, but I'm really just curious what others would be inclined to do, given the prevailing atmospheres at your various clubs.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-19, 20:02

I'd tell my friends after the game. Not sure I need to be a busybody and tell the director.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 20:06

You're kibitzing, not playing or directing. Stay out of it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 20:45

It might not matter than the convention is not GCC legal, clubs are given broad discretion to allow non-GCC methods.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 20:56

The only reason to do anything would be (after the game) in order to be able to cope myself, at this club, if it ever comes up again against me. That would entail a hypothetical question to the local director.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2012-April-20, 08:12

I would have told the pair after the round that they were playing a non-GCC system, away from your friends.
I would have told my friends at the end of the night, after which there can be no more procedural penalties to the other pair.

Things like this happen here too, I've been in this situation.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users